2021 Applicants Forum

teasel

2 hours ago, TroyMcClure said:

U of Florida, Brooklyn College, Hunter College, Notre Dame, U of Maryland, Columbia, Emerson College, and Boston U. All for fiction. Looks like Florida sent out its acceptances and the two CUNY schools have their interviews going, so I'm not too confident about those.

On a more positive note, a lit magazine accepted one of my stories today.

CONGRATS!

Looking at past results, NYU seems to keep their waitlist going until late summer... not sure how? I thought everyone has to make their choice by April 15th.

I guess NYU expects you'll forfeit your deposit if you've gotten into another place and reserved your spot...but maybe they get some last minute late summer bails and some tuition fees they were counting on evaporate and they need to fill the hole in their balance sheet..? 

I hear you about going for a program with a smaller class. I guess if you mesh with the cohort, it's great; if not, it could be very alienating I imagine. I applied to most NYC schools but as I have had no news (except SLC) from any of them, I am thinking best case I'm a waitlist at NYU, Hunter and Brooklyn. I don't think Columbia does interviews and not sure when they respond. OTOH, I think the odds of getting into at least 1 NY area program must be ok, considering the total amount of seats available when you add up all NY area programs in relation to the amount of applicants (ASSUMING of course the applicants are all applying to the same places, which is a big but not unreasonable assumption). 

Edited by Boomer not Ok

31 minutes ago, Boomer not Ok said:

Looking at past results, NYU seems to keep their waitlist going until late summer... not sure how? I thought everyone has to make their choice by April 15th.

I guess NYU expects you'll forfeit your deposit if you've gotten into another place and reserved your spot...but maybe they get some last minute late summer bails and some tuition fees they were counting on evaporate and they need to fill the hole in their balance sheet..? 

I hear you about going for a program with a smaller class. I guess if you mesh with the cohort, it's great; if not, it could be very alienating I imagine. I applied to most NYC schools but as I have had no news (except SLC) from any of them, I am thinking best case I'm a waitlisted at NYU, Hunter and Brooklyn. I don't think Columbia does interviews and not sure when they respond. OTOH, I think the odds of getting into at least 1 NY area program must be ok, considering the total amount of seats available when you add up all NY area programs in relation to the amount of applicants (ASSUMING of course the applicants are all applying to the same places, which is a big but not unreasonable assumption). 

I was told there would be no math LOL

What is your feeling about SLC? Is it a serious contender for you? 

5 minutes ago, goodcynara said:

I was told there would be no math LOL

What is your feeling about SLC? Is it a serious contender for you? 

SLC has a massive "proximity" value for me, so it was always quite high on my list. It's very commutable, so I could live at home. The other NYC schools are also commutable but would take me more time. I am preparing a list of questions for SLC, so I'm considering it quite seriously. But I'm still waiting to hear back from 8 schools and really thought by this time I would know better where things stood. 

14 minutes ago, Boomer not Ok said:

SLC has a massive "proximity" value for me, so it was always quite high on my list. It's very commutable, so I could live at home. The other NYC schools are also commutable but would take me more time. I am preparing a list of questions for SLC, so I'm considering it quite seriously. But I'm still waiting to hear back from 8 schools and really thought by this time I would know better where things stood. 

Great to hear your perspective. I was also accepted to SLC (poetry). I live in California, so the move plus the fact that they are only partially funded makes it a long shot for me. However, I like that it is situated in a quieter spot, which I find better for writing; and is within easy reach of NYC, so I can avail myself of doses of much-needed city. My best friend lives in Brooklyn, so that is also a factor. Quite a bit depends on cheap rent. I am aware of the on-campus R.A. opportunities, but that is a non-starter for me, as it would defeat my need for quiet, devoted writing time. 

I'm also preparing a list of questions for them. I'd love to hear how this evolves for you.

Edited by goodcynara

1 hour ago, Boomer not Ok said:

I hear you about going for a program with a smaller class. I guess if you mesh with the cohort, it's great; if not, it could be very alienating I imagine. I applied to most NYC schools but as I have had no news (except SLC) from any of them, I am thinking best case I'm a waitlist at NYU, Hunter and Brooklyn. I don't think Columbia does interviews and not sure when they respond. OTOH, I think the odds of getting into at least 1 NY area program must be ok, considering the total amount of seats available when you add up all NY area programs in relation to the amount of applicants (ASSUMING of course the applicants are all applying to the same places, which is a big but not unreasonable assumption). 

NYU gives half-tuition remission upon admission so I think it might end up being less expensive than SLC. I was also accepted to SLC(fiction) but the $ math might not work... please keep us posted on SLC, if you will, should you find out some interesting answers! 

I think Columbia is possibly next week? And New School probably will notify, too, judging from the previous results. It is almost the end... 

5 minutes ago, M-Lin said:

NYU gives half-tuition remission upon admission so I think it might end up being less expensive than SLC. I was also accepted to SLC(fiction) but the $ math might not work... please keep us posted on SLC, if you will, should you find out some interesting answers! 

I think Columbia is possibly next week? And New School probably will notify, too, judging from the previous results. It is almost the end... 

You could be right about NYU $ vs. SLC.  I think Columbia is the most expensive tuition-wise of all the programs and I don't think they give out much $. 

13 minutes ago, Ydrl said:

I’m glad. Writing science poetry feels like a very niche market, and to know someone actually likes the idea brings me joy.

Truly. Whenever I happen upon the combination of science and poetry, I am transfixed. I hunt for it now. There are many of us out here!

Edited by goodcynara

25 minutes ago, goodcynara said:

Truly. Whenever I happen upon the combination of science and poetry, I am transfixed. I hunt for it now. There are many of us out here!

If you're down for some recs, check out Rosebud Ben-Oni (I LOVE her periodic table sonnets), Jenny Molberg, and Aimee Nezhukumatathil. 

Edited by cecsav

10 minutes ago, cecsav said:

If you're down for some recs, check out Rosebud Ben-Oni (I LOVE her periodic table sonnets), Jenny Molberg, and Aimee Nezhukumatathil. 

Aimee Nezhukumatathil's finally arrived in the mail a couple days ago and did you say Periodic. Table. Sonnets? Swoooooon. Thank you!

Just had a mini heart attack cuz I got an automated email saying “The University Texas at Austin has made a decision on your application for graduate admission” and telling me to check my portal but it was just them updating my NWP portal and not the Michener one ?

Edited by rcsteel

8 hours ago, cecsav said:

? Thank you. Is there a particular book that Rosebud Ben-Oni’s sonnets are in?

10 hours ago, Boomer not Ok said:

You could be right about NYU $ vs. SLC.  I think Columbia is the most expensive tuition-wise of all the programs and I don't think they give out much $. 

Yep, another reason I regretted applying to Columbia lol. There's really no way to afford it. Who are all those people paying? (I'm sure some get scholarships and fellowships). From their website, it seems like the faculty picks their favorites to receive more money for the second year. That sounds like a recipe for fierce competition within the cohort, no? Anyway, we'll see what happens! 

8 minutes ago, M-Lin said:

Yep, another reason I regretted applying to Columbia lol. There's really no way to afford it. Who are all those people paying? (I'm sure some get scholarships and fellowships). From their website, it seems like the faculty picks their favorites to receive more money for the second year. That sounds like a recipe for fierce competition within the cohort, no? Anyway, we'll see what happens! 

I have heard that out of each large cohort, only like 3-4 get any sort of funding (in the form of partial tuition waivers, and I believe some part-time work). I have also heard that, yeah, it does build weird dynamics, as you'd expect. I have a friend who went there unfunded -- he's an excellent writer and person, but his family is rich lol -- and was still able to gain regular access to several of the famous faculty, but, yeah, it does sound like they play favorites pretty heavily

I honestly think a lot of people are going into debt for that MFA, which is pretty sad. I assume there are some people like my friend in each group, but it can't be more than a few people in each cohort

So...

Word on the street was Iowa was supposed to make their calls “within the week” last week, and I’m seeing only one poetry acceptance out of 25.

Do we think Iowa will be calling accepted poets today? 

5 minutes ago, JPReinhold said:

So...

Word on the street was Iowa was supposed to make their calls “within the week” last week, and I’m seeing only one poetry acceptance out of 25.

My guess is yes. But I have literally no information to base that guess on, other than what you've said here and my own wishful thinking. Fingers crossed for all of us!

9 minutes ago, JPReinhold said:

So...

I'm not sure but a poet was called by Iowa on draft on wednesday with a teaching position and the consensus in draft seems to be that people without fellowships may be getting called later because the teaching positions have to be approved by the english department before being offered. Lets hope that's the delay :) 

edit: the teaching positions, unlike fellowships, require english department approval 

Edited by nottheamazonalexa

3 minutes ago, nottheamazonalexa said:

I'm not sure but a poet was called by Iowa on draft on wednesday with a teaching position and the consensus in draft seems to be that people without fellowships may be getting called later because the teaching positions have to be approved by the english department before being offered. Lets hope that's the delay :) 

edit: the teaching positions, unlike fellowships, require english department approval 

Hard to know if that “within the week” still holds ? 

15 hours ago, Ydrl said:

Anyone part of the b o r e d o m squad today?

Oh so much. I am on my 3rd cup of coffee and trying to motivate myself to work on a short story I’ve been dragging ass on. And yet all I can do is stare at the screen and my inbox...