2021 Applicants Forum

teasel

For all of us that have read (or vaguely remember) the beginning of this thread, do you ever wonder what happened to some of the users who randomly disappeared???

I thought of someone recently and messaged that user, but I’m sure there are many others. I hope everyone that left is okay.

All of you that aren’t being horrible people (which is almost all of you) thank you for being here. I appreciate you, you help keep this community together.

Edited by Ydrl

2 minutes ago, Ydrl said:

For all of us that have read (or vaguely remember) the beginning of this thread, do you ever wonder what happened to some of the users who randomly disappeared???

I thought of someone recently and messaged that user, but I’m sure there are many others. I hope everyone that left is okay.

I honestly am not sure, I think it might be part pressure part worry. I don’t know where my mental health would be if I was checking this page everyday since the beginning. I’ve only come in at the end and only my husband has kept me sane through all this.

3 hours ago, pattycat said:

...would any fiction kids be willing to form a critique group? 

Count me in, please. 

I haven't been able to find any local writing groups where my writing fits in at all, and certainly none where we all share an objective, so I would appreciate such a chance as this.

Thank you, pattycat!

3 hours ago, pattycat said:

For those of us who are staring down a possible clean sweep of rejections this year and want to prepare for next season, would any fiction kids be willing to form a critique group? Thoughts are that it would either be over zoom (traditional workshop-style) or maybe just laid back exchange of google docs over email.

I didn't see this until now! I'm definitely down for a Zoom workshop. I know some CW majors that use a Zoom in the Iowa style and it works really well for them.

I just realized something. Despite Texas being a winter nightmare right now, they’ve managed to stick to their promise of starting to contact before the end of February. Well done Michener.

Also do any poetry people wanna do a zoom meeting? It doesn’t have to just be workshopping, it could also be talking about programs, or just a nice conversation about things that have nothing to do with poetry/grad school.

Just now, woweezowee said:

A person in Draft emailed Cornell re fiction and was informed that they are still making final decisions and hope to notify applicants within the next week. FYI.

That was me! Which means I can rest this weekend lol

1 minute ago, Ydrl said:

I just realized something. Despite Texas being a winter nightmare right now, they’ve managed to stick to their promise of starting to contact before the end of February. Well done Michener.

Also do any poetry people wanna do a zoom meeting? It doesn’t have to just be workshopping, it could also be talking about programs, or just a nice conversation about things that have nothing to do with poetry/grad school.

I'd be down for a poetry zoom, if others are ! Looking ahead to the possibility of a clean sweep in my first round, as others have said, I'm definitely psyched to connect with other poets in any way. 

Hope everybody is taking care of themselves going into this weekend ! ?

4 minutes ago, arden said:

I'd be down for a poetry zoom, if others are ! Looking ahead to the possibility of a clean sweep in my first round, as others have said, I'm definitely psyched to connect with other poets in any way. 

Hope everybody is taking care of themselves going into this weekend ! ?

Seconded. A poetry Zoom sounds great.

14 minutes ago, Ydrl said:

Down for the poet Zoom. Would love to hear what y'all are working on.

38 minutes ago, Sorensen said:

I honestly am not sure, I think it might be part pressure part worry. I don’t know where my mental health would be if I was checking this page everyday since the beginning. I’ve only come in at the end and only my husband has kept me sane through all this.

Agreed. If this were an actual coffee shop, I'd be the one in the corner with my laptop plugged in, hair a hot mess, stack of bang-ed up slim volumes with scribbled on post-it notes sticking out of them and a mug full of ghosts of coffees past. I keep trying to write, but stop to chat up everyone who makes eye contact. Procrastinating like a mo', as they say in the old country. But seriously, thank you all for your generosity and humor. It's nice to be in community.

Update on Texas: Apparently the housing tab (between Financial Aid and Admission) on MyStatus is letting people apply for housing. I imagine everyone else has this too, just wanted to let you know that the housing thing is $50 if you want to apply.

It looks like some WVU acceptances have gone out and I’m really wishing there were time stamps on those results postings! Gonna be a stressful afternoon. 

If anyone sees anything about poetry, feel free to let me know! 

Congratulations to those accepted! 

Edited by NLake

I am down for a poetry zoom too! As acceptances are up in the air, I'm starting to realize I might not have been ready this year and still need to workshop my work a little bit more. Also, nervous wreck over Michener...I need info now

10 minutes ago, orangeslice said:

Rejected from Cornell!

Congrats on all of your hard work in applying, and I hope your heart is okay. I'm so glad you have the courage to share your voice with the world in the first place. ❤️ 

33 minutes ago, Ydrl said:

Update on Texas: Apparently the housing tab (between Financial Aid and Admission) on MyStatus is letting people apply for housing. I imagine everyone else has this too, just wanted to let you know that the housing thing is $50 if you want to apply.

It's been like this. I made my way through most of a housing application before I decided to wait to spend the $50 until I find out if I'm actually in. 

Edited by cecsav
Typo

Also just got my Cornell rejection letter. That makes me 5 for 5 and pretty much finished here, since my last two applications are Iowa and Texas (NWP). Out of curiosity, does anyone know if NWP and Michener send out decisions at about the same time? Also, I know some people have gotten acceptances from Iowa, but are there any rejections (specifically for fiction) out yet?