MSW.K

Hi all I just wanted to take a minute to express gratitude to those on this thread as you have all helped me and eased anxiety during this admissions period! I think all of us should be extremely proud of ourselves and all of our accomplishments up to this point are extremely impressive and I am sure whatever graduate program we choose we will continue to do impressive and amazing things. People do not go into social work for the money neccessarily, so it really goes to show how much we all value education and bettering ourselves to continue to serve our communities. I know social work can be a thankless job sometimes so I just wanted to acknowledge all of our hard work does not go unnoticed(: 

18 minutes ago, KyleWener said:

No offense but why didn’t you share your stats if it’s so important? These are MSW programs - they aren’t hard to get into. Most of the acceptance rates are literally 50-80%. These programs just want people to pay exorbitant tuition and fees for a masters that will lead them to make 50k. These schools are more impressive on your resume for undergraduate or doctoral programs. Just being honest. 

I didn't since this thread hasn't been about stats at all like in previous years. That was what someone else posted and I also agreed with him. I'm thinking that when all is said and done I'll probably have a final post with my stats, the programs I applied to and what I ultimately accepted. I think that my be more helpful if people sum up their experiences towards the end of the thread. 

It seems like your a bit negative with most of your posts? Not trying to start a war, but what are you trying to say masters degrees are easy? So no one should get one? Most of us are trying to get the MSW programs in places the will provide us with desirable field placements and help us advance our careers. Some people might think its easy to get into masters programs that require you to complete a bachelors and maintain a 3.0 or 3.25 GPA. If its so easy how come such a small percentage of the population gets these degrees? Why are they required for clinical licensure? I think you might need to take a breath instead of comparing acceptance rates. No one else here is trying to compare the acceptance rates and put themselves above or below anyone else. 

On a more productive note are you applying to any programs?

2 hours ago, KyleWener said:

Why? There are other schools. Do you really want to pay 160k+ to say you went to Columbia? It’s not undergrad. I don’t think people are as impressed. 

Why are you coming on here with an agenda to insult people? You don’t understand why people are applying to Columbia. For all you know someone could have gotten their BA from Columbia and apply to their SW program. You need to go somewhere else. He is literally a troll who created his account an hour ago. 

Edited by Minhessica

1 hour ago, KyleWener said:

No offense but why didn’t you share your stats if it’s so important? These are MSW programs - they aren’t hard to get into. Most of the acceptance rates are literally 50-80%. These programs just want people to pay exorbitant tuition and fees for a masters that will lead them to make 50k. These schools are more impressive on your resume for undergraduate or doctoral programs. Just being honest. 

You seem to be in a really bad headspace to be going out of your way to create an account on here and insult people pursuing a degree to HELP people... I hope you feel better soon (seriously)!!

Edited by cccrsn22

First time poster, long time lurker here!

I was a late applicant, and am still waiting on word from Tulane and Hunter (been admitted to Fordham and Howard, and waitlisted at UPenn due to applying way after the deadline). I already have a pretty good idea of what financial aid will look like at those three schools ( *eternal Beaker frown* ), but haven't been able to peg how generous Tulane is with their aid. 

Can anyone speak to scholarships at Tulane? Was anyone admitted and offered a generous package?

20 hours ago, fafsaphobic said:

First time poster, long time lurker here!

I was a late applicant, and am still waiting on word from Tulane and Hunter (been admitted to Fordham and Howard, and waitlisted at UPenn due to applying way after the deadline). I already have a pretty good idea of what financial aid will look like at those three schools ( *eternal Beaker frown* ), but haven't been able to peg how generous Tulane is with their aid. 

Can anyone speak to scholarships at Tulane? Was anyone admitted and offered a generous package?

I am waiting on my decision from Tulane! I applied last week April 16th and although it's only been a couple of days my anxiety has be dragging me so bad!

1 minute ago, prospectivegradstudent123 said:

I am waiting on my decision from Tulane! I applied last week April 16th and although it's only been a couple of days my anxiety has be dragging me so bad!

I applied 1 April, and I'm still waiting! Hopefully we find out quickly! 

23 minutes ago, msw.LS said:

Anybody hear from Columbia? I applied early Jan, still haven’t heard anything. I already had to send a deposit somewhere else, but I really want to go to Columbia.

I just heard from them they are reviewing my application now but I had something missing so I got an email about that today. I applied in early February. 

On 4/18/2021 at 3:54 PM, Msw246 said:

It was my top academic choice by far-thinking it would be a long shot for me to be accepted, but here I am. I am a CA resident and only applied to CA schools due to the costs of out-of-state tuition. The affordability of CA schools and the expected salary of a social worker make it a hard sell to pursue an MSW degree out of state. 

Hey! I was wondering if you knew anything about UCLA's field placement process? I attended one of their info sessions earlier on and also did some research. On their website, it says having a car is necessary for travel, do you know if that's mandatory? It seems like there's a interview process for 2nd year placements, do you know if we're guaranteed placements? I've been wanting to talk to a UCLA MSW student or alum but they don't seem to have anything on the website that connects you to one.

2 hours ago, msw.LS said:

Anybody hear from Columbia? I applied early Jan, still haven’t heard anything. I already had to send a deposit somewhere else, but I really want to go to Columbia.

I'm in the exact same situation. I applied for advanced standing in the first week of January. I just sent my deposit in to NYU today. 

3 minutes ago, FearedEffect said:

I'm in the exact same situation. I applied for advanced standing in the first week of January. I just sent my deposit in to NYU today. 

I'm also in this boat, will have to send a deposit in soon. According to my emails with them I should hear by the 26th but I'm still nervous. 

8 minutes ago, FearedEffect said:

I submitted my deposit to NYU as well! Either way, both great schools, but yeah, it would be nice to hear back soon and I wish we didn’t have to deposit before hearing back 

1 minute ago, cccrsn22 said:

I'm also in this boat, will have to send a deposit in soon. According to my emails with them I should hear by the 26th but I'm still nervous. 

It seems like the e-mail estimates from Columbia have been very unreliable. I waited until the last minute to put my deposit down. If I were you I'd definitely plan on paying that deposit on the 26th. Hopefully we get positive news and it all works out eventually. I can at least say that I have a bit less anxiety since I paid my deposit now that I know I at least have a spot somewhere for fall.

I feel kind of silly asking this, but if an acceptance/deposit deadline is written "decide by April 22nd", does that include April 22nd itself? I understand deadlines to conventionally include that last day, but I don't want to mess up! I'm trying to delay paying until the last min if possible as I was told I'd have another uni's decision by tomorrow.