2021 Closed Admissions

Hi all! I got a tip from my advisor that a lot of programs (especially those with a lot of funding) are probably going to pause admissions for this application cycle. Obviously, this is a big wrench in the plans for me, and I'm sure for some of you out there as well. I was hoping we could put this thread together to document which programs won't be accepting applications for Fall 2021, as announcements will probably be coming out between now and November.

So far, there are rumors they'll be shutting down Princeton's English PhD admissions for the year, and apparently UChicago will be accepting very limited numbers, all in Black studies (as per this update: https://english.uchicago.edu/news-events). Anyone else know of others? Either rumors or explicit statements?

NYU Department of English will not be accepting PhD applications for 2021, as per their information page for prospective students.

Same for their Department of Comparative Literature.

At the risk of being inflammatory, it is a bit disillusioning to see NYU embark on such an austere course when you consider the extortionate price of their MA programs. Perhaps someone on the inside could led some insight to the decision.

Edited by Quickening

1 hour ago, Quickening said:

NYU Department of English will not be accepting PhD applications for 2021, as per their information page for prospective students.

Same for their Department of Comparative Literature.

At the risk of being inflammatory, it is a bit disillusioning to see NYU embark on such an austere course when you consider the extortionate price of their MA programs. Perhaps someone on the inside could led some insight to the decision.

Lol, note the "We continue to accept fall 2021 applications for the MA program in English" in bolded letters below the announcement. I think all the "insight" there is to be had here is that the MA program earns them money while the PhD program costs them money. I imagine that at NYU as elsewhere, the graduate student union is asking that the department use the money they would normally offer to new students to fund them for extra years instead.

Hello! I figured it can't hurt to skip a step or two, so I emailed a bunch of schools this morning asking about 2021 admission! So far Penn State, Northeastern and UC Santa Barbara are accepting applications for a F2021 cohort. I also spoke with someone at Boston College and she said that, as of now, they will also accept applications, but she seemed a bit less certain if that is going to change. Still waiting to hear back from Rochester, Tufts and Syracuse. Stay tuned!

8 hours ago, Lighthouse Lana said:

Hello! I figured it can't hurt to skip a step or two, so I emailed a bunch of schools this morning asking about 2021 admission! So far Penn State, Northeastern and UC Santa Barbara are accepting applications for a F2021 cohort. I also spoke with someone at Boston College and she said that, as of now, they will also accept applications, but she seemed a bit less certain if that is going to change. Still waiting to hear back from Rochester, Tufts and Syracuse. Stay tuned!

@Lighthouse Lana This is a great idea; thank you for sharing this information. I'm going to email multiple programs tomorrow morning and will share what I learn here as soon as I learn it.

2 hours ago, The Maritime Scholar said:

I believe all my schools are still accepting applications for fall 2021, but now I'm a bit worried. Does anyone know anything about my schools (see my signature for schools I'm applying to)? Thanks!

Hi! I'm not sure about any of your schools specifically (not much overlap in our choices haha) but a lot of schools haven't posted anything yet. I've been reaching out to either the Admissions Chair, the Grad Studies Assistant, or the head of the department depending on who's listed on the website, and so far everyone has gotten back to me within a day! So if you're worried you could try that.

I'd be surprised if any UChicago humanities program take students. I think the change to their funding structure worked on the assumption that some students would actually be graduating this year, but given the fact that nobody is hiring, it's likely most students will stay on for another year of funding. Hard to pay for that and let in a new crop of students.

12 hours ago, Glasperlenspieler said:

I'd be surprised if any UChicago humanities program take students. I think the change to their funding structure worked on the assumption that some students would actually be graduating this year, but given the fact that nobody is hiring, it's likely most students will stay on for another year of funding. Hard to pay for that and let in a new crop of students.

Several students defended their dissertations this summer (I'm not sure if that equates to graduating/leaving...?)

Edited by Indecisive Poet

29 minutes ago, Indecisive Poet said:

Several students defended their dissertations this summer (I'm not sure if that equates to graduating/leaving...?)

But if they defended this summer, that would mean they probably got hired during last years job market (or left academia). There was actually a job market this past year, but I'm not sure there will be one to speak of this year.

1 hour ago, mayhemily said:

Columbia isn't taking anyone (https://english.columbia.edu/content/guidelines-prospective-applicants). Absolutely sucks. I applied there last year but got rejected and I decided to take a year off to reapply.

"Freestanding M.A. applications are not affected." 

Well, but of course. 

On 8/30/2020 at 8:07 PM, mayhemily said:

Columbia isn't taking anyone (https://english.columbia.edu/content/guidelines-prospective-applicants). Absolutely sucks. I applied there last year but got rejected and I decided to take a year off to reapply.

Oof. I'm still kicking myself every other day for turning them down...

I'm applying 50/50 Comm Rhetoric and Rhet/Comp programs and so far here's what I've learned for the two English departments I'm applying to: 

• Ohio State has a super vague "All admissions to the integrated MA/PhD and PhD programs are made for autumn semester only; the next application deadline will be announced by early October 2020." I'm assuming that means they'll probably defer to next year, but it's possible that depending on the campus situation they might take applications? I haven't reached out since they have a clearly defined timeline for deciding and I'd probably just get the same line via email. 

• University of Texas- Austin has a Fall 2021 heading w/dates for applications due dates. This seems to have been updated, so I think it's likely that they are taking applications

2 hours ago, kirbs005 said:

• Ohio State has a super vague "All admissions to the integrated MA/PhD and PhD programs are made for autumn semester only; the next application deadline will be announced by early October 2020." I'm assuming that means they'll probably defer to next year, but it's possible that depending on the campus situation they might take applications? I haven't reached out since they have a clearly defined timeline for deciding and I'd probably just get the same line via email. 

They're still debating the approach within the department. If I see anything definitive that comes across the departmental listserv, I'll let y'all know.