2021 Closed Admissions

On 8/21/2020 at 1:40 AM, Bopie5 said:

UC Davis is taking applications for this fall season.

Northwestern has not yet decided whether they will accept applications, but they anticipate having that decision public on their website by early-mid September.

Northwestern has updated their web page to say they are admitting as usual this year ?

17 hours ago, lilting said:

For CompLit specifically: Oregon, Columbia, Chicago, NYU, Notre Dame have suspended admissions. USC and Northwestern have yet to update.

Any colleges I missed out..?

If I recall correctly, ND permanently closed admissions into their CompLit program about 3-4 cycles ago.

Just an update for UConn. While currently the grad exec board has NOT paused admissions or selected to cut admissions, there is SERIOUS push back from the English Graduate Student Association. They are hoping to get the grad exec board to agree to at least cut lines of funding for the incoming cohort, but their ultimate goal is to get them to cut admissions this cycle entirely. I don't know if this will happen, conversations will be taking place in the upcoming weeks, but I will keep people posted if I hear anything. As someone who is planning on applying to UConn, I'm obviously hoping they keep admissions for this cycle.

11 hours ago, Warelin said:

At this point, I'm wondering if it would be easier to keep up with the programs who have confirmed they're accepting applications next cycle.

I wonder if it might be helpful to make a collectively edit-able spreadsheet, and then put that in a thread we can pin at the top of the forum...thoughts?

Just now, Bopie5 said:

I wonder if it might be helpful to make a collectively edit-able spreadsheet, and then put that in a thread we can pin at the top of the forum...thoughts?

I think that would be a great idea. I'd be able to pin it if it were created. I think my only request would be that a link to the information be provided in an attempt to provide the most accurate information.

I'm making a spreadsheet now. I'll add a few entries and post the link here.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1y-YPJpVstjndLOUun_x_OeJ32FZ_fKwDMSpmUQ-N4JU/edit?usp=sharing  

should be editable by anyone

Edited by jadeisokay

1 hour ago, jadeisokay said:

I'm making a spreadsheet now. I'll add a few entries and post the link here.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1y-YPJpVstjndLOUun_x_OeJ32FZ_fKwDMSpmUQ-N4JU/edit?usp=sharing  

should be editable by anyone

@jadeisokay, do you want to make a new thread with this link so that @Warelin can pin it?

Also, I added a column for app date deadline, since I noticed that Northwestern's is a bit earlier compared to the others. Northwestern's deadline is usually early, but I think that's the first November deadline I've seen!

Edited by Bopie5

(To not pollute the "accepting apps" spreadsheet or thread...)

As of today (9/16/20), here are the PhD programs (in English, Comp Lit, and other adjacent fields) that have announced they are officially NOT taking applications for Fall 2021 admission, based on email communication I've had, website updates, and posts both here and on reddit: 

• Brown American Studies
  • Columbia English
  • Michigan Film Studies
  • NYU Comp Lit
  • NYU English
  • UChicago Cinema and Media Studies 
  • UChicago English* (limited admissions, Black Studies scholars only)
  • UChicago Linguistics
  • UChicago Comp Lit
  • UOregon Comp Lit
  • UPenn All Arts & Sciences Programs 
  • UPittsburgh English
  • UPittsburgh Film and Media Studies

i don't think i'm applying this cycle. i'd love to work with whitney phillips at syracuse if i somehow got in but don't think my mental health can take the hit of moving in what i feel like will still be a pandemic.