Fall 2021 Applicants

ClassicsCandidate

Do you guys think it's worth it/a good idea to email grad program advisors and let them know about changes to info you submitted? Specifically, I submitted my application to UW before I decided to drop my honors degree (haha oops) and I've also managed to get an article published in the meantime. Of course from what my professors have been saying I should expect to hear back from all these places in just a few minutes... thoughts?

2 hours ago, Wafflotron said:

Do you guys think it's worth it/a good idea to email grad program advisors and let them know about changes to info you submitted? Specifically, I submitted my application to UW before I decided to drop my honors degree (haha oops) and I've also managed to get an article published in the meantime. Of course from what my professors have been saying I should expect to hear back from all these places in just a few minutes... thoughts?

I would message the DGS and ask that person if they think the committee should be made aware of those changes; that way, you're not messaging the advisors directly, but going through the person who is handling a lot of this. They may let you know that it may not make a difference or they'll get it to the committee members if they think it will. I think it's ultimately up to you, though. I, personally, would just email the DGS and let them know the situation even though you know the committee members may be currently discussing the admissions, but felt you should update them on your current situation. 

I'm sure you have, @PeppermintTea, but if you check the results board and search for the program name and school name, it'll give you an idea of who's heard back so far. My stuff isn't the lit side of things, but I've heard nothing from Yale yet, for what it's worth.

22 hours ago, loomweight said:

What do you mean by accepted/invited for recruitment week?

I was accepted, and I just wanted to note that recruitment week is next week because that seems to signal the end of their decision process for this cycle (until all admits have made decisions/space potentially open up on the waitlist!)

21 minutes ago, alcestis21 said:

I was accepted, and I just wanted to note that recruitment week is next week because that seems to signal the end of their decision process for this cycle (until all admits have made decisions/space potentially open up on the waitlist!)

Ok, very interesting. Congrats! Which of Michigans programs, if you don't mind me asking?

1 minute ago, AncientAnnie567 said:

I got into ISAW!!! Going to withdraw my application from the third and final program that I applied to! I am over the moon!!!

Oh wow, that's awesome, congratulations!!!! ? 

Do you mind us knowing the places you're withdrawing from in case the waitlistees may be waiting?

Just now, ClassicsCandidate said:

Do you mind us knowing the places you're withdrawing from in case the waitlistees may be waiting?

Just now, ClassicsCandidate said:

Sure! I will be withdrawing from UBC’s CNERS department. 

2 minutes ago, AncientAnnie567 said:

No prob! ISAW is spectacular. I’m shocked honestly, but I’ve worked so so hard for that program. It pays off! I’m so excited to see what the future as in store for all of you!!

Yeah, that's awesome for sure. I'm still crossing my fingers (I applied to ISAW as well) but haven't heard anything from anywhere else yet. But there's still some left to go, so we'll see!

19 hours ago, ClassicsCandidate said:

Yeah, that's awesome for sure. I'm still crossing my fingers (I applied to ISAW as well) but haven't heard anything from anywhere else yet. But there's still some left to go, so we'll see!

What’s left for you? I know ISAW requires an interview, and their window for interviews was last week and then this week until Thursday. I hope you hear back soon! 

1 hour ago, AncientAnnie567 said:

What’s left for you? I know ISAW requires an interview, and their window for interviews was last week and then this week until Thursday. I hope you hear back soon! 

Still waiting on NYU-ISAW, Princeton, Yale, University of Delaware (this one was Art History vs. Classics specifically), and Rutgers. Saw that a lot of times Yale will answer the Tuesday after Presidents Day, so I'm hoping to get more information on Tuesday at least! 

18 minutes ago, ClassicsCandidate said:

Still waiting on NYU-ISAW, Princeton, Yale, University of Delaware (this one was Art History vs. Classics specifically), and Rutgers. Saw that a lot of times Yale will answer the Tuesday after Presidents Day, so I'm hoping to get more information on Tuesday at least! 

Oh wow, got a nice list there. It’s such a tough year but my fingers are crossed for you! :) 

On 2/13/2021 at 7:04 AM, alcestis21 said:

Wait I am invited to the recruitment week too. Does that mean I am accepted too? I heard from a graduate student they would choose 3-4 people out of 8 but I do hope I can get in 

p.s. I guess I know who you are if you apply for IPCAA :) 

Also since everyone is sharing here I would feel bad if I don’t hahaha 

I got accepted to MA in classical archaeology at FSU and rejected by UCB and UNC I also have an interview for Duke 

good luck every one!!! I know the waiting is very hard but just try to keep positive sometimes it may be better without an offer you it gives you a chance to find your new interests or paths for yourself and that maybe better (at least that’s what I tell myself and my friend) :)

28 minutes ago, Sappho618 said:

Wait I am invited to the recruitment week too. Does that mean I am accepted too? I heard from a graduate student they would choose 3-4 people out of 8 but I do hope I can get in 

p.s. I guess I know who you are if you apply for IPCAA :) 

It wasn’t for IPCAA, if that helps. For Classical Studies, they’re not telling faculty who was accepted or waitlisted, I know that much. But decisions were made for the CS PhD, as far as I know. 

Happen to see someone who has asked about the rejection for the Oxford doctoral programme 'DPhil in classical languages and literature' in the result section. My rejection was received at 0200 AM last Saturday, generated automatically (like all others!), with no reason specified. Wondering if this may help.

And additionally, may I have a question for those who are applying from the US? Just wondering if no interview invitation means a definite rejection, as I have heard various opinions on this. I am applying for Princeton as well, but totally no reply up to now. Really unfamiliar with the US universities.

I am sorry if I have spread my bad luck, and wish you all the best with your applications. Bon courage!

11 hours ago, alcestis21 said:

It wasn’t for IPCAA, if that helps. For Classical Studies, they’re not telling faculty who was accepted or waitlisted, I know that much. But decisions were made for the CS PhD, as far as I know. 

Thank you for replying me! I was so excited about the chance of me getting accepted. That makes sense. For IPCAA, I actually pretty sure they are gonna choose 3-4 out of all 8 people invited. I also know there is a waiting list for IPCAA if it helps anyone here. 

1 hour ago, TariqM said:

And additionally, may I have a question for those who are applying from the US? Just wondering if no interview invitation means a definite rejection, as I have heard various opinions on this. I am applying for Princeton as well, but totally no reply up to now. Really unfamiliar with the US universities.

I am sorry if I have spread my bad luck, and wish you all the best with your applications. Bon courage!

Hi! From the U.S., a lot of places don't necessarily do interviews/don't interview everyone they're accepting. I'm pretty sure Princeton doesn't do interviews - I haven't heard back from them, either, but from what I noticed on the result boards is that in the past, they've sent out decisions the day after Presidents Day (which is today, February 15th), so we might hear tomorrow! 

I know University of Michigan and NYU usually do interviews (I didn't swing getting an interview at either), but I'm unsure about the others. Which U.S. schools besides Princeton, if any, did you apply to? That might help figuring out the interview info from each university.

I hope you get some good news soon!