MFA 2021 Freak Out Forum

SocialKonstruct

55 minutes ago, salad said:

Just got into the Royal College of Art Contemporary Art Practice program, which seems really cool, but unfortunately has what looks like zero financial aid to offer.

Anyone know anything about this program or heard anything? It's basically 80k total which seems way beyond what I want to take out loans for, especially because I have a funded/stipended offer in the US. That said it feels like the perennial question of funding vs notoriety ..... 

Well. From what I've heard, a lot of UK programs, especially the ones at the top aren't generous with their scholarships like American colleges, with most of these British schools providing almost zero funding

Hi All! I've been accepted to Pratt, SVA and Cranbrook in painting. Anyone have thoughts or insights on these programs comparatively? I would really love any help I can get!!!!

3 hours ago, snipsnapsnout said:

Hey, not sure if you've already made a move on this, but I would absolutely email SVA to ask if it would be possible to extend the commitment deadline. I think that's normal and reasonable, and the most they can do is say no. I was able to easily extend the deadline for SAIC from April 1st to April 15th with a single email. I think all schools understand that finances are a huge part of the decision, most students don't apply to only one program, and many programs won't send offers before these early deadlines. That said, if you DO make a decision about their program before the deadline, you should let them know as soon as possible so they can offer your spot to another student.

Thank you! I will do that. 
I am waiting right now on their scholarship decision for me, do you think I should ask them for an extension in deadline right now or after they send the scholarship info? I am afraid If I ask for the extension right now they will think that they are not my top choice and will give me less aid, but if I ask for an extension after they give me scholarship info, I will sound so calculated and manipulative.... 

what do you think? Like I absolutely NEED aid, but I also do need more time to think as 2 more schools I interviewed with still have not sent me their decision.  

3 hours ago, salad said:

Just got into the Royal College of Art Contemporary Art Practice program, which seems really cool, but unfortunately has what looks like zero financial aid to offer.

Anyone know anything about this program or heard anything? It's basically 80k total which seems way beyond what I want to take out loans for, especially because I have a funded/stipended offer in the US. That said it feels like the perennial question of funding vs notoriety ..... 

Hi, so I am basically in the same situation. My understanding is that RCA, Slade, and Goldsmiths are the top U.K. schools. They may be slightly less known in the US but most academic and gallery people will be impressed and in Europe they are THE Columbia, SAIC, etc.  So that’s the prestige aspect. Obviously we all know that’s important but not necessary for success. We also all know that collectively, hundreds of students come out of these programs every goddamn year and very few reach the upper levels of success in the art world. All things to consider. 

That said, try not to get too caught up in the funding vs prestige debate because in my experience it’s a dead end. Try to think more holistically. For example, what’s the value to you of London as a city? What does financial stability mean to you as a person? Do you see yourself buying a house?  How scrappy do you feel? How fragile do you feel? How does the worst time of your life apply to this decision? How does the best time in your life apply to this decision? How much would you like to change who you are? I had three fully funded offers in the US and I chose Goldsmiths. To make my decision, I tried to think holistically. I’m ready for an adventure! Student debt doesn’t scare me because I’m marrying a shit ton of it lol. I want to take a shot at those upper tiers! Maybe I can teach at a great program or show in the Whitney when I’m 50! Or maybe not. Maybe it will just be two amazing years in London with amazing museums. And I’ll have debt forever. I can accept that.   I even thought of stuff like do I like British food? Is the idea of not driving a plus or a negative? Do you see yourself as a risk-taker? Why or why not? Does anything matter to you more than art? Why or why not?  I’m not telling you to choose RCA, I’m just sharing my process because I know it’s a really hard decision. 
TED talks are stupid but I’m going to share one below because it changed how I thought about this whole process and made me a lot more positive about my decision. 
You have two great options and this is a GOLDEN opportunity to define yourself as a person. What you want, what you are comfortable with, and everything else. Neither choice is wrong. What will make you happy is sticking up for whichever decision you make. Don’t question yourself, but adapt to your choice. Best of luck. 

51 minutes ago, lizavetar96 said:

Thank you! I will do that. 
I am waiting right now on their scholarship decision for me, do you think I should ask them for an extension in deadline right now or after they send the scholarship info? I am afraid If I ask for the extension right now they will think that they are not my top choice and will give me less aid, but if I ask for an extension after they give me scholarship info, I will sound so calculated and manipulative.... 

what do you think? Like I absolutely NEED aid, but I also do need more time to think as 2 more schools I interviewed with still have not sent me their decision.  

Don't overthink it! Ask for the extension now, just tell them you aren't expecting to hear back from the other programs where you applied until after their deadline. I seriously doubt it will influence how much aid you'll be offered. It's a big decision, schools know that.

6 hours ago, salad said:

RCA is an excellent program! Congratulations! As for making your decision, I think the biggest concern would be that RCA’s program is a MA and not a MFA, so I’m not sure if it’s terminal equivalent, although the teaching hours are the same as a 2-year program. Might have trouble getting on tenure track if you are ultimately trying to be US-based. Definitely worth checking into if you care about such things...

Just got a call from UW, they said that I am at the top of their waitlist...

(1 person already accepted the offer so they are waiting on 2 other students... I am feeling pretty crushed honestly as this was the only fully funded place that interviewed me and now it is floating away, and I basically think that I won’t end up in an MFA program this Fall as SVA and Parsons that accepted me are just too expensive). 

1 hour ago, lizavetar96 said:

(1 person already accepted the offer so they are waiting on 2 other students... I am feeling pretty crushed honestly as this was the only fully funded place that interviewed me and now it is floating away, and I basically think that I won’t end up in an MFA program this Fall as SVA and Parsons that accepted me are just too expensive). 

I'm in the same boat waiting on some waitlists and it is SO HARD.
But, if those 2 other students still haven't accepted, it might mean they're waiting and hoping for other schools. And if you're on the top of the waitlist, then you've still got a chance! Sending you good vibes and the best of luck!! 

4 minutes ago, aniben3 said:

I'm in the same boat waiting on some waitlists and it is SO HARD.
But, if those 2 other students still haven't accepted, it might mean they're waiting and hoping for other schools. And if you're on the top of the waitlist, then you've still got a chance! Sending you good vibes and the best of luck!! 

Thank you, darling, you are making me hopeful. 
I am crossing fingers for you too!

On the waitlist for all four schools I applied to lol

Just got a rejection email a few days ago from one so that leaves me three more chances...

Anyone else in this situation???

Edited by Coco88

On 3/24/2021 at 10:36 AM, dramallama_07 said:

Hi. I would love to speak with a Parsons MFA Fine Arts alumni or an SVA MFA Fine arts alumni. Does anyone here know some people from there? And can you connect me to them?

I know someone.  Do you have instagram? I can send you info there 

3 minutes ago, geeeeebie said:

I know someone.  Do you have instagram? I can send you info there 

Oh is it from Parsons or SVA? Can you private message me here? I've been logged out of my IG and can't log back in since days ... smh

14 hours ago, lizavetar96 said:

Definitely don’t lose hope! I think chances are actually pretty good someone will decline the spot. Especially cause acceptances likely came out a little while ago which means these kids are not jumping on it immediately.  ???

Edited by Scrambledmegs

12 hours ago, cjfa said:

Finally got UCLA DMA results at 2:15 am today (rejected). Still happy with my other results. Did anyone else hear from that program?

I did. Also got rejected. Email came in at 1:00am central time. I'm glad I didn't notice it until this morning lol.

33 minutes ago, Deborah in Mass said:

Hey congratulations! The director Young Min Moon told me they were only taking 1-2 students this year for the MFA program due to all the deferrals from last year. 

Wow, thank you so much! That is absolutely wildd news to me. I accepted their offer and declined Tyler and BU, but I really hope they have more spots and that you get in too :)