1 hour ago, SLPapplicant22 said:

Got an interesting email from U of A today... I emailed them a month ago to ask where my application went wrong/ what I could improve, and turns out they made a miscalculation when reviewing my app! They meant to offer me a spot on their waitlist. Won’t take them up on it as I already accepted western but very interesting! 

I randomly got this email from U of A today too. I thought it was really weird, I also already accepted Western so won't take them up on it.

2 hours ago, Em98 said:

I randomly got this email from U of A today too. I thought it was really weird, I also already accepted Western so won't take them up on it.

Was the email offering you a spot on the waitlist or a spot in the actual program?

Hi everyone!

Just wanted to share that I got accepted into UBC a couple weeks ago! I lost all hope when I got rejected from Western on April 1st but this just goes to show -- KEEP YOUR HEAD UP!

It took me 3 tries!!! If it doesn't work out for you this year, KEEP GOING! DON'T TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER! DON'T STOP UNTIL YOU GET WHAT YOU WANT! THIS IS YOUR DREAM! YOU CAN DO THIS! 

If you don't believe me, here's my post from the 2020 SLP Canadian thread (TLDR; me giving up, me debating whether or not SLP was for me anymore, sad me): 

"Hi everyone, discouraged applicant here; any advice for me?

It was my second time applying (first serious application this year -- advisor's suggestion to apply last year just to familiarize myself with the process, but I didn't expect to get in) to the same school this year (just one) and I didn't luck out this time around. I'm planning on applying to more schools next year (possibly Western, McMaster, Dalhousie, U of T, McGill). 

I feel my experience (+ the networking I've done thanks to these experiences) is what makes my application strong. I have 2 years research experience, having had a research award/grant and done 3 presentations. I also have worked/volunteered in these settings: school, rehab centre, aphasia rehab groups, autism clinic, and long-term care facility. I also have some ESL teaching experience.

(Not sure if I calculated it correctly but) My current sub GPA is 3.4 (and my cGPA is not so good, I spent ~2 years under a BSc degree = horrible grades in my first year or so). This year, I upgraded some of my undergrad courses as a non-degree student so that helped bring up my sub GPA a little. 

Other than going back and improving my grades some more, I'm not sure what else I should do. 

I feel extremely discouraged and, to be honest, quite lost.

Anything helps. Thanks everyone!"

53 minutes ago, SLP-hopefully said:

I sent an email to Janet asking if there is still movement on the Western waitlist or if the class has filled quicker than normal this year. Will update you all if she responds!

Janet responded saying the class is now full. They occasionally get cancellations so the waitlist will remain open all summer

1 minute ago, SLP-hopefully said:

Janet responded saying the class is now full. They occasionally get cancellations so the waitlist will remain open all summer

Oh wow so they didn't even make it past the first quadrant...I really hope that those left in the first quadrant will hear good news as those few people that are on another waitlist accept somewhere else later in the summer, it must be a torture to be almost there.

Thank you so much for sending the email, at least I got some closure.

1 hour ago, audiologymaybe said:

has anyone heard from the uOttawa waitlist yet?

nope :( I'm still waiting. Plus, my status didn't change yet... it's so stressful. I don't wanna be waiting the whole summer haha :( 

Edited by rmaam
grammar mistake

21 minutes ago, DalSLP said:

Is it just me or does anyone else find it super frustrating that Dalhousie offers zero information regarding waitlists?

Uottawa it's the same thing lol, urgh it's too stressful and frustrating ! 

On 4/26/2021 at 11:13 AM, Em98 said:

Did you also send UofA an email asking about your application? Or did they just reach out to you without you asking them first? 

23 minutes ago, sltothep said:

Did you also send UofA an email asking about your application? Or did they just reach out to you without you asking them first? 

They reached out to me completely out of the blue. I hadn't sent anything to U of A since before the application deadline.

14 hours ago, Em98 said:

They reached out to me completely out of the blue. I hadn't sent anything to U of A since before the application deadline.

How weird! Is it that you hadn't heard at all or did you go from a rejection to an offer?

32 minutes ago, Em98 said:

I got a rejection letter end of March, so I went from rejected to waitlisted ?

omg that's goooood !!! hahahaha wow there's hope then ! ;) never give up 

6 hours ago, SpeechST said:

Has anyone e-mailed Vicki at U of A recently that could share how long it took for her to get back to you? Thanks! 

She is quite good at responding within at latest a couple of days, however she said she’s taking a few days off in her last email, and will respond early next week if she can’t get back to us