Stanford GSE 2021

HTG7728

12 hours ago, ngdt said:

Thank goodness for this thread. Knowing that there are others who are also incessantly checking email/website/application/sanity actually does make me feel better. I have a specific question: on my application checklist, under GRE score status, it says "received (official)." But I didn't take the GRE this year. I did take it a little more than 5 years ago (when I applied and got rejected, wah wah). The strange thing is that those scores from 5 years ago should no longer be valid, so not sure how they were able to pull them. I was wondering whether that was a technical fix on their part to get the application into completed status since the GRE was required in previous years. Anyone else not take the GRE but seeing "received (official)" on their application checklist? I emailed the admissions office to ask, but no response. Thanks! 

Yes, I also feel so release when I see other people around the globe feeling the same like me...this makes me feel that I am not alone, and helps to feel at least some better..so I find this thread very helpful..???

12 hours ago, ngdt said:

Thank goodness for this thread. Knowing that there are others who are also incessantly checking email/website/application/sanity actually does make me feel better. I have a specific question: on my application checklist, under GRE score status, it says "received (official)." But I didn't take the GRE this year. I did take it a little more than 5 years ago (when I applied and got rejected, wah wah). The strange thing is that those scores from 5 years ago should no longer be valid, so not sure how they were able to pull them. I was wondering whether that was a technical fix on their part to get the application into completed status since the GRE was required in previous years. Anyone else not take the GRE but seeing "received (official)" on their application checklist? I emailed the admissions office to ask, but no response. Thanks! 

So, i have just checked my check list, and for both GRE and TOEFL I have "not applicable". Well, I do not know what to think??? I did not submit my GRE, but I did submit my TOEFL, so why for both of them the status is the same? Well, should I email the admissions office and clarify with them? ??

8 hours ago, Jeanne A. said:

Hi ngdt! Let me check. I never paid attention to this?? I will get back in a few minutes, after checking...

By the way, which program are you applying? Me - PhD, SHIPS.

Thanks for checking!! I applied to PhD, SHIPS data science. 

8 hours ago, Jeanne A. said:

So, i have just checked my check list, and for both GRE and TOEFL I have "not applicable". Well, I do not know what to think??? I did not submit my GRE, but I did submit my TOEFL, so why for both of them the status is the same? Well, should I email the admissions office and clarify with them? ??

Thanks for checking! That is strange.  I tried calling Stanford graduate admissions about my case, and they directed me to GSE admissions, which has been nonresponsive ever since I submitted my application. 

5 minutes ago, ngdt said:

Thanks for checking! That is strange.  I tried calling Stanford graduate admissions about my case, and they directed me to GSE admissions, which has been nonresponsive ever since I submitted my application. 

Well, may be i should contact GSE and ask them what it means..but I think I won't get any reply from them, just like you..it's a very busy period right now???

2 hours ago, Jeanne A. said:

There were no interviews for SHIPS data science and SHIPS edu policy, right? I mean of those who wrote in that "gradcafe results" table..at least I haven't seen any?

Same here...I haven't seen any specifically for EDS or edu policy.

Just now, ngdt said:

Same here...I haven't seen any specifically for EDS or edu policy.

And with regards to my TOEFL...you know what, I think they did not receive my results, since ETS did not deliver my TOEFL scores on time...that is why probably my status there says "not applicable.."

Hi guys..

Well, I must say that at this moment I have lost all my hopes for positive decision.

Today morning I woke up and literally very clearly it came to my  mind how little chances I had with my application to Stanford PhD, literally no chances, and how funny it may look for someone that I even dared to think about being admitted. I realized this morning, that I have to forget about this application and about my Stanford dream, and try to move on...

I wanna share with you that i did my best with the application: writing my essay, taking my TOEFL several times, meeting and talking to my recommenders. I have done a lot of work indeed. There were moments when I thought of myself with regards to my application to Stanford: "how stupid you are!!! you worth nothing in this world!!! if you are not admitted to Stanford now, will can never be able achieve your goals!!! you are not ideal!!! forget about all your dreams!!! you are totally useless!!!" - yes, this is how I think of myself in terms of "possible" rejection from Stanford.

Why I am writing "possible" in quotes? Actually it should be without quotes since rejection is not possible, it is real. I must accept that I have no chances. It is hard to realize fully, and to accept, since all my professional hopes and aspirations were connected to my Stanford PhD. Without this degree achieving my goals is absolutely not possible. So, saying goodbye to Stanford PhD means saying goodbye to all my professional dreams and goals that I wanted to achieve in my country.

Well, I am writing this and literally crying.

Also, guys, have you heard about setting goals with visualization and other tricks that are supposed to help to make your dream come true? I am not sure whether all that "magic" works but I tried all those tricks: visualization, working with the goal energy, etc..... but ultimately I must admit that real facts are different from what I imagined. I must admit my rejection no matter how hard it is.

I want to wish you all good luck.

The only thing I want to say about myself, for myself: "no, Jeanne, you are not stupid, on the contrary- you worked really hard, you did your best for the realization of the dreams that I had, you were not lazy, you believed in your dream until the very end. And you should not blame yourself, but respect and thank yourself for all the hard work you did."

So, bye guys, it was really nice to share these days of waiting with you, and to get to know you. It would be so great to meet you all in reality, and to attend our classes together at Stanford, but this will be left in my dreams forever.

???????

1 hour ago, Jeanne A. said:

Hi guys..

Well, I must say that at this moment I have lost all my hopes for positive decision.

Today morning I woke up and literally very clearly it came to my  mind how little chances I had with my application to Stanford PhD, literally no chances, and how funny it may look for someone that I even dared to think about being admitted. I realized this morning, that I have to forget about this application and about my Stanford dream, and try to move on...

I wanna share with you that i did my best with the application: writing my essay, taking my TOEFL several times, meeting and talking to my recommenders. I have done a lot of work indeed. There were moments when I thought of myself with regards to my application to Stanford: "how stupid you are!!! you worth nothing in this world!!! if you are not admitted to Stanford now, will can never be able achieve your goals!!! you are not ideal!!! forget about all your dreams!!! you are totally useless!!!" - yes, this is how I think of myself in terms of "possible" rejection from Stanford.

Why I am writing "possible" in quotes? Actually it should be without quotes since rejection is not possible, it is real. I must accept that I have no chances. It is hard to realize fully, and to accept, since all my professional hopes and aspirations were connected to my Stanford PhD. Without this degree achieving my goals is absolutely not possible. So, saying goodbye to Stanford PhD means saying goodbye to all my professional dreams and goals that I wanted to achieve in my country.

Also, guys, have you heard about setting goals with visualization and other tricks that are supposed to help to make your dream come true? I am not sure whether all that "magic" works but I tried all those tricks: visualization, working with the goal energy, etc..... but ultimately I must admit that real facts are different from what I imagined. I must admit my rejection no matter how hard it is.

The only thing I want to say about myself, for myself: "no, Jeanne, you are not stupid, on the contrary- you worked really hard, you did your best for the realization of the dreams that I had, you were not lazy, you believed in your dream until the very end. And you should not blame yourself, but respect and thank yourself for all the hard work you did."

So, bye guys, it was really nice to share these days of waiting with you, and to get to know you. It would be so great to meet you all in reality, and to attend our classes together at Stanford, but this will be left in my dreams forever.

???????

I know what you mean because I am going through similar upheaval of emotions and self-efficacy. I have been telling myself to let go and prepare a backup. And this is why I won't give you words that I am not giving myself, but I will send my good wishes to you and hope that you get through.

9 hours ago, Jeanne A. said:

Hi guys..

???????

I don't think this is a healthy way to look at doing a PhD. Sure, you can be disappointed that you didn't get in, as all of us here would be checking the results. But getting into this program is the rarest of rare opportunities, judging by the comments about how many apps they have received and how many get in, I think we are talking about less than 1%. It's not not reasonable to attach your life goals to such a difficult accomplishment. In fact, I struggle to imagine any specific career goal that simply could never be achieved because you didn't study at Stanford. Even if your dream is to work in Stanford!

In order to even apply for this program, you must feel like you have accomplished quite a lot in your career and studies so far, meaning you are probably an excellent candidate for programs elsewhere. Call me naive, but I really do think that if you get into a solid enough program the sky is still the limit for you. If you have a seminal research idea, and execute it well, then you will have all the same options as a GSE grad. Who knows, maybe you'll get to go there as a postdoc or even a member of staff someday. So please do not give up on your dreams because of this, Stanford would be nice sure, but there are plenty of other ways to get what you want. 

3 minutes ago, Blane said:

I don't think this is a healthy way to look at doing a PhD. Sure, you can be disappointed that you didn't get in, as all of us here would be checking the results. But getting into this program is the rarest of rare opportunities, judging by the comments about how many apps they have received and how many get in, I think we are talking about less than 1%. It's not not reasonable to attach your life goals to such a difficult accomplishment. In fact, I struggle to imagine any specific career goal that simply could never be achieved because you didn't study at Stanford. Even if your dream is to work in Stanford!

In order to even apply for this program, you must feel like you have accomplished quite a lot in your career and studies so far, meaning you are probably an excellent candidate for programs elsewhere. Call me naive, but I really do think that if you get into a solid enough program the sky is still the limit for you. If you have a seminal research idea, and execute it well, then you will have all the same options as a GSE grad. Who knows, maybe you'll get to go there as a postdoc or even a member of staff someday. So please do not give up on your dreams because of this, Stanford would be nice sure, but there are plenty of other ways to get what you want. 

????????????????????????????? thank you so much, Blane..... I wish you good luck ???

6 hours ago, Blane said:

Well said!

A friend told me that universities all over the world have received a record number of applications. Many of her friends are professors so they have been talking to her about the amount of work they need to put into this year’s review process. 

A SHIP interviewee left a comforting message on the results page saying something similar. I will now go watch some Miyazaki to change my tempo.

Hi, has anyone applied to Stanford GSE's Education Data Science Program? I haven't heard of anyone who's applied to this program thus far and since it's the first year that they're admitting new students, I really don't know what to expect during the admissions process!

Oh, and regarding TOEFL submissions, mine says its "not applicable." I received an email from GSE admissions a few weeks back, telling me that they couldn't find my TOEFL score report. I sent them a test taker's copy of the score following their request, but they haven't confirmed yet. I sent them an email just to follow up, but they've been non-responsive for a month now... Because they said that they'd reach out if there were additional actions that needed to be taken on my part, I'm guessing that there's no need to worry about my test scores, at least for now :)

2 hours ago, innethepi said:

Hi, has anyone applied to Stanford GSE's Education Data Science Program? I haven't heard of anyone who's applied to this program thus far and since it's the first year that they're admitting new students, I really don't know what to expect during the admissions process!

Oh, and regarding TOEFL submissions, mine says its "not applicable." I received an email from GSE admissions a few weeks back, telling me that they couldn't find my TOEFL score report. I sent them a test taker's copy of the score following their request, but they haven't confirmed yet. I sent them an email just to follow up, but they've been non-responsive for a month now... Because they said that they'd reach out if there were additional actions that needed to be taken on my part, I'm guessing that there's no need to worry about my test scores, at least for now :)

Someone applying to EDS said yesterday on the results page he received an email for an interview...

Regarding your TOEFL score, is your application status “complete” or “incomplete” on the ApplyWeb page?

Edited by crocophil

2 hours ago, innethepi said:

Hi..thanks for sharing. So did your TOEFL status changed from "non applicable" after you sent them your results? I mean it's understandable they are not replying to emails (no reply to mine as well) ?? but was your TOEFL status changed? Thank you?

@crocophil thanks for the info! I must have missed this comment in the results page :)

@Jeanne A. @crocophil Well, my Application Status says it's "Complete" but with regards to my TOEFL score it says that its "Not applicable" which makes it all the more confusing, because as an international applicant, TOEFL was a mandatory part of my applications! 

My TOEFL status hasn't changed since then, but given that it's the busiest time for the Admissions Team, I'll just wait and see, and just check my status update on a regular basis.  

5 minutes ago, innethepi said:

@crocophil thanks for the info! I must have missed this comment in the results page :)

@Jeanne A. @crocophil Well, my Application Status says it's "Complete" but with regards to my TOEFL score it says that its "Not applicable" which makes it all the more confusing, because as an international applicant, TOEFL was a mandatory part of my applications! 

My TOEFL status hasn't changed since then, but given that it's the busiest time for the Admissions Team, I'll just wait and see, and just check my status update on a regular basis.  

Yes, you are totally right, it is so much confusing, for me as well, since I am also international. As for the statuses, I have the same: complete for application, not applicable for TOEFL.

On 1/21/2021 at 4:56 PM, JJin said:

Mine was the same until two days ago, and it changed to "complete." I guess they are still processing it.

In case they needed something, they must've contacted you. I got an email from the admission office a month ago that they didn't receive my score report.

So I think you can just wait and it'll be fine!

Edited by applicant9736

8 hours ago, innethepi said:

A PHD EDS applicant here. No, I haven't heard anything either. I did hear through the grapevine from a professor that it's a very competitive program given that it's new. Plus, the person who posted on the results page said that their interviewer said they're working through a long list of potential candidates. I wouldn't have expected that since, like you, I haven't come across many people on these forums who are applying to the program. But I guess professors' and interviewers' insider info trumps my eyeballing counts on forums :)

Got a personal msg from someone in this forum asking about my application status. Thought I would reply here. My application says "completed" - not sure when the status changed because I didn't even bother to log in to the portal until last night. Also haven't heard anything and don't have high hopes. Good luck everyone!! 

Edited by applicant9736