Biomedical Science PhD Applicants (Fall 2021)

bacteriagirl

1 hour ago, asull said:

Nope not yet, still patiently and eagerly waiting. I haven’t heard back from anywhere yet, actually, which is a little nerve wracking. Good luck my friend! 

I think I saw two people say they received invites before Christmas. Hoping to hear something soon. But Good luck on the rest of your schools ! Where all did you apply too ? 

2 hours ago, jakeperalta said:

No! My god are they stressing me out T_T What track did you apply for? I did Microbiology! Just as an aside, in case you're new: multiple people have emailed NYU in the last few weeks and the admins have said that they can send interview invites anytime between now and end of February since they interview now through March. Also, I believe I have seen interviews go out for Genes Cells and Organisms and Mechanisms of Disease, and also Immunology and Inflammation but not Micro!

One of my coworkers applied to NYU in 2019/worked there and said that they are known to send invites late 

3 hours ago, tyb97 said:

Has anyone hear anything back from CU Denver Biomedical or Immunology? 

Are you referring to the programs on the Anschutz medical campus? I heard from the biomedical umbrella program mid-December. For reference, there were three interview dates I could choose from, from this weekend to mid-February. I'm not sure if the immunology program has its own interviews for applicants who applied directly.

1 hour ago, prospective_molbio said:

Does anyone know what the faculty/current student social events during interview weekends will be like? I'm kind of nervous about those, I don't really know what to expect.

Only 1 out 4 of the places I have interviews with had actual social events, but it was super laid back. There was a break out both days with student hosts that we had been assigned to. The first one was just to ask questions with current students (what's life like in x city, how was the transition, do I need a car, etc) and the second was to destress after our actual interviews and go over any questions or issues we had with what had just transpired. After that, we had the opportunity to join a Zoom break-out groups to play either Codenames or a Pictionary-like game, where more faculty jumped in and out of so we could "meet" more people than who we had interviewed with. Definitely meant to be a relaxing time, and not something you have to really prepare for. I will note, though, that after being on Zoom interviews for 5 hours, it was quite tiring to continue on with the social events and seem just as enthusiastic. But that was a 9-hour Zoom day for me. Hopefully yours will be more spread out. 

Hi, anyone else got interviews for Biomedical Engineering and Physiology track at Mayo Clinic? I got an email saying there'll be a 30 mins' zoom interview in the evening on 02/03, but I know for other tracks the interviews are on 02/10-02/12, which lasts for 3 days, and includes one-on-one meeting with 6 faculties, half an hour each. So I find it kind of weird, and I wonder is there anyone who met the same situation with me? Or does it just mean that they don't actually want me and the chance is small?

16 minutes ago, jakeperalta said:

Anyone here back from Case Western BSTP? I saw an interview and an acceptance got posted on the results page and was wondering what the track specified was! I selected micro as my main interest and applied 29th Nov, in case anyone is wondering!

Hi! I was the poster, I just replied on the results page to a question that was posted there, but I thought I would reply here too in case it was helpful. I submitted my application on Dec 1 and interviewed Jan 15, I am primarily interested in the genetics program. I hope this is helpful!

8 hours ago, StemCells4Lyfe said:

I did. My interview was Friday

Congratulations!! My interview is later this week, any advice? Their interview schedule is pretty long compared to other interviews I have had, what did you do to stay engaged in the hours and hours of informational sessions? Anything to avoid doing or saying (specific to them)? 

1 hour ago, ssrour98 said:

Congratulations!! My interview is later this week, any advice? Their interview schedule is pretty long compared to other interviews I have had, what did you do to stay engaged in the hours and hours of informational sessions? Anything to avoid doing or saying (specific to them)? 

Thanks! Congrats to you too! And yeah, it was QUITE long compared to other places, but I did feel like the longer first day helped me get a LOT more info on the program that you can't get from just reading the website, so now I'm worried about future interviews and whether I'll get as good of a sense of the program and life at those universities LOL. Can't win I guess.
My biggest piece of advice is getting a GOOD night's rest before each day and after, and getting a back rest for your chair. I used a hot water bottle as a make-shift one. The first day was a lot, but I did get a bit more information about the program so it easier to stay attentive. The second day was definitely rougher.
The interviews themselves were quite straightforward (explain x project you did or explain a project you did that you were most excited about, do you have any questions for me), so I wouldn't sweat that too much. But after 5 of them and then extra activities, it was quite tiring. Definitely use your whole breaks to step away from your computer and stretch, eat during the lunch time they give you, with snacks towards the end. I also stayed off of screens during my breaks to give my eyes a rest.
Can't really think of anything to avoid saying, but keep your camera on during the sessions even if you are tired. It's really easy to notice who has theirs off. Take advantage of the current-student break out groups to ask ANYTHING you have questions about, because the students are quite candid. Also, if there are PI's your interested in that you weren't given an interview with that show up during the poster sessions and break-out groups, take the opportunity to talk to them. It'll really help you get a better sense of the program, what they are like "in-person", and how well you can picture yourself at UTSW. 

Edited by StemCells4Lyfe

12 hours ago, crystal322 said:

Hi guys, wondering if anyone here applied to Cold Spring Harbor Lab and heard from them? I saw two interview invites on results, don't know if they're done sending out invites? Thank you! 

Haven't got an interview invitation☹️

I wrote to them on Jan 14, and they replied that "Applications are currently under review. Applicants will receive notification of their application status by the end of January via email."

14 hours ago, tyb97 said:

I think I saw two people say they received invites before Christmas. Hoping to hear something soon. But Good luck on the rest of your schools ! Where all did you apply too ? 

I think I saw that, too, but I’m still hopeful. I applied to BU, Harvard, George Washington, U South Florida, U Colorado Denver, Colorado State, U Arizona, Arizona State, U Cali Irvine, and U Cali San Diego. What about you? 

8 hours ago, scientist1313 said:

Hi, I know that a lot of schools notify acceptance with a call from a faculty member you interviewed with. I was wondering if it is significant which faculty member calls you, or if it is more random. Does anyone know? I'm just curious

Prior to applying, you may have contacted a specific faculty member who may have supported your application behind the scenes but he/she may not have been among those that interviewed you. In that case, would it still be someone you interviewed with calling you or the person you initially contacted? It could also be the person that called you inviting you to the interview? 

39 minutes ago, sirtuingirl said:

Prior to applying, you may have contacted a specific faculty member who may have supported your application behind the scenes but he/she may not have been among those that interviewed you. In that case, would it still be someone you interviewed with calling you or the person you initially contacted? It could also be the person that called you inviting you to the interview? 

I just got a call from a PI I interviewed with and I was not in contact with any PIs ahead of time, which I think it is typically that a PI you interview with calls you. I was just curious to see if there is any reason why one PI you interviewed with might call you to give you the news vs another PI you interview with, or if it seems to just be kind of random and maybe just whoever volunteers.

On 1/20/2021 at 5:57 AM, asull said:

I think I saw that, too, but I’m still hopeful. I applied to BU, Harvard, George Washington, U South Florida, U Colorado Denver, Colorado State, U Arizona, Arizona State, U Cali Irvine, and U Cali San Diego. What about you? 

Fingers crossed you hear something soon ! I applied to Mayo, Rochester, Ohio State, UVA, U Colorado Denver, U Cincinnati, Vanderbilt, and Emory. 

15 hours ago, helpert said:

Are you referring to the programs on the Anschutz medical campus? I heard from the biomedical umbrella program mid-December. For reference, there were three interview dates I could choose from, from this weekend to mid-February. I'm not sure if the immunology program has its own interviews for applicants who applied directly.

Hi, yes ! Thank you ! I’m assuming then I’ve been waitlisted as I haven’t received a rejection letter either. Congrats on your interview, and good luck !

Does anyone know what kind of applicants Rockefeller is looking for? I saw on the results page that some seemingly strong applicants (in terms of years of research, publications, etc) got rejected. I got an interview, but I'm nervous because I would think that my experiences are not as extensive as some post-grads with many publications, and I'm not sure what to emphasize about myself on the day of. 

3 hours ago, tyb97 said:

Fingers crossed you hear something soon ! I applied to Mayo, Rochester, Ohio State, UVA, U Colorado Denver, Baylor, U Cincinnati, Vanderbilt, and Emory. 

I also applied to UC, and got an interview for the MolGen and their Immuno program! (i applied to both)

12 hours ago, scientist1313 said:

Hi, I know that a lot of schools notify acceptance with a call from a faculty member you interviewed with. I was wondering if it is significant which faculty member calls you, or if it is more random. Does anyone know? I'm just curious

Nothing significant. Mostly it's the chair or other members of the admission committee calling. They probably just divided the work.