Biomedical Science PhD Applicants (Fall 2021)

bacteriagirl

On 1/9/2021 at 5:52 PM, redmangue said:

I heard from them yesterday - it seems like they send invites over time. I'm not sure if 1/13 and 1/22 are going to be the only interview dates, but I do know that they plan to have an accepted students-only event at the end of February and that leads me to believe they want to wrap the process up quick.

Thanks for responding and congratulations!!! 

40 minutes ago, ood63 said:

Since this is the first time in the process is it recommended to reply to the "invite" email saying thank you and you look forward to meeting everyone or something like this????

Yes, definitely. That would be a confirmation for them to move forward and make appropriate arrangements for your interview day. 

Are you guys planning to have some powerpoint slides / figures to show during your interviews? I am not sure if I should. I've received conflicting advice.... some people told me that interviews are suposed to be like conversations, so it is not advised to have any slides or anything whereas others say it will be helpful to get your points across.

I am leaning towards not having any, but idk if that may make me look unprepared/less prepared than other people getting interviewed if they do have them.

9 minutes ago, prospective_molbio said:

Are you guys planning to have some powerpoint slides / figures to show during your interviews? I am not sure if I should. I've received conflicting advice.... some people told me that interviews are suposed to be like conversations, so it is not advised to have any slides or anything whereas others say it will be helpful to get your points across.

I am leaning towards not having any, but idk if that may make me look unprepared/less prepared than other people getting interviewed if they do have them.

I am personally not planning on doing it. It is a personal choice because if I do so, I might switch from talking in a conversational way to talking in a more automatic/presentation way, but that is just me. It's a matter on you deciding what works best for you, but I do know a lot of peers who will be showing small 1-3 summary slides, so schools are not actually against it. 

On 12/18/2020 at 6:24 PM, helpert said:

Just got an interview for CU Denver’s biomedical umbrella program!

Congrats! I still haven't heard from Denver. I know their admissions FAQ says that if you don't receive an interview invite or denial that your application is waitlisted. Really hoping I get lucky...

Is anyone else on the waitlist for the alternate interview date for UCSD BMS? I'm not sure how long to wait before reaching out again and asking for updates and I'm nervous that I won't be able to interview at all if I wait too long.

9 minutes ago, Smoothbrain said:

Is anyone else on the waitlist for the alternate interview date for UCSD BMS? I'm not sure how long to wait before reaching out again and asking for updates and I'm nervous that I won't be able to interview at all if I wait too long.

There is a waitlist for the BMS program? Did they email you to tell you that?

Just now, MoronPhDApplicant said:

There is a waitlist for the BMS program? Did they email you to tell you that?

I received an interview invitation but I wasn't able to make the initial date they gave me. When I emailed them about rescheduling, they said that there was an alternate interview weekend but that it was full and that they'd put me on the waitlist for it in case someone changed their mind. I'm just not sure how likely it is that someone who specifically asked for the alternate weekend would decide not to go. The deadline to decide was January 4th.

Just now, Smoothbrain said:

I received an interview invitation but I wasn't able to make the initial date they gave me. When I emailed them about rescheduling, they said that there was an alternate interview weekend but that it was full and that they'd put me on the waitlist for it in case someone changed their mind. I'm just not sure how likely it is that someone who specifically asked for the alternate weekend would decide not to go. The deadline to decide was January 4th.

Ohh, I see. Thank you for the info. Guess I got dumped by the program. 

Good luck with rescheduling! 

On 1/8/2021 at 8:01 PM, Sky_china said:

Is there anyone here got Thomas Jefferson Interview ? 

I got one! It was a pretty generic email (they didn't even include my name). They assigned me a date too, so I'm not sure how many interview weekends there will be

1 hour ago, prospective_molbio said:

I had my first interview last week, and personally found that the 30 mins goes SO fast that using visual aids gets in the way and is a little cumbersome.
Per interviewer, about 2-3 mins was devoted to talking about a specific project I did. Using figures/slides would take too much time and wouldn't add much to my explanations. 

6 minutes ago, StemCells4Lyfe said:

I got one! It was a pretty generic email (they didn't even include my name). They assigned me a date too, so I'm not sure how many interview weekends there will be

not sure if its track specific...  Thought I had a good chance there 

Just now, Sky_china said:

not sure if its track specific...  Thought I had a good chance there 

They could still be sending them out! I got my offer yesterday, but I think people were getting them on Friday.
What track did you apply to, if you don't mind sharing?

12 minutes ago, StemCells4Lyfe said:

They could still be sending them out! I got my offer yesterday, but I think people were getting them on Friday.
What track did you apply to, if you don't mind sharing?

Quantitative Sciences  do you mind sharing their interview dates?

21 minutes ago, Sky_china said:

Quantitative Sciences  do you mind sharing their interview dates?

I'm not sure what the dates are unfortunately, because I wasn't given an option to choose. But I applied to the Regenerative Medicine track

Edited by StemCells4Lyfe
Hit send too early