Biomedical Science PhD Applicants (Fall 2021)

bacteriagirl

6 hours ago, jakeperalta said:

Hey all, one more q -- does anyone know if Weill Cornell is done reviewing for IMP? I know someone emailed them a few weeks ago and they said they were still reviewing, but I wonder if its over now that break is over? 

They told me that they are reviewing the applicants on rolling basis and will complete the process before Feb, 1. 

On 1/5/2021 at 12:54 PM, Diet_Dr_Kelp said:

Has anyone received an interview invite or heard from Duke's pharmacology PhD program? 

They sent me an interview invite on December 23rd for interview dates of Jan 11-12 or Jan 25-26.

20 minutes ago, Cancerbiologisttobe_ said:

Im happy for everyone getting interviews but is there anyone on here who has yet to receive any interview invites? Im starting to feel super down and lost. It sucks man

Don't worry! In case this doesn't go favorably this cycle--have you considered PREP programs? They're literally life-changing. 

https://www.nigms.nih.gov/training/PREP

Edited by dejosco

2 minutes ago, dejosco said:

Don't worry! In case this doesn't go favorably this cycle--have you considered PREP programs? They're literally life-changing. 

Is it funded? I cant afford to take out any loans unfortunately 

3 minutes ago, Cancerbiologisttobe_ said:

Is it funded? I cant afford to take out any loans unfortunately 

It's completely funded. For example, the stipend at Johns Hopkins is $34,000--in addition to this, you're given health, dental, and vision insurance. Let me know if you want to chat! 

Edited by dejosco

On 1/5/2021 at 9:01 PM, PhDBound123 said:

Did anyone get a confirmation email from the coordinator at Johns Hopkins CMM confirming your interview date? I got an interview invite during the holidays and emailed her my 3 preferences but have not heard back since then. 

I also have not heard back yet about a definite date, I wouldn't worry yet!

1 minute ago, dejosco said:

It's completely funded. For example, the stipend at Johns Hopkins is $34,000--in addition to this, you're also given health, dental, and vision insurance. Let me know if you want to chat! 

I just read through the FAQS and it states that you must have been awarded a bachelors within the last 36 months. I graduated from undergrad in 2017 and i also have a masters so idk if I even qualify

9 minutes ago, dejosco said:

I've considered PREP programs, but it seems like a lot of them are designed specifically for underrepresented minorities (as defined by NIH). Some would consider me underrepresented as a queer woman, but I don't fall under the NIH definition specifically. Do you have any insight into whether it's even worth applying? 

(For what it's worth, I do have one interview with a PhD program already. This is more just for my own stress about backup options.)

Hi! This is my first cycle applying to PhD programs. My initial route was to wait another year and spend a year in my current PI's lab. However, he encouraged me to throw my hat in the ring this time around. I am a non-traditional applicant (originally Pre-vet with 2000 hours of experience, then pre-med with 800 hours of experience, then clinical research for another 1,000 hours) but the common denominator is that I have had a passion for science all along. My undergrad major is Biotechnology and I graduated Magna Cum Laude. In undergrad, I worked on a few different research projects including surveying cancer patients and caregivers as well as veterinary topics. I went abroad for 3 months to the University of Cambridge to work on organoids.  Ended up deciding a PhD is the route I wanted to take but thought I would give myself more time in academic research. My PI said to apply now. I am excited about individualized therapeutics and hereditary cancers. I applied to Biomedical Science programs at Thomas Jefferson, Drexel, and Temple. I just submitted my app for Temple yesterday since the deadline isn't for another month. I've been invited to interview at Thomas Jefferson and Drexel, 2 for 2. I am only applying to Philadelphia based schools. My fiancé and I just moved here, cross country, from California. He got accepted to Temple medical school and is an MS1. Any advice? 

34 minutes ago, Cancerbiologisttobe_ said:

I just read through the FAQS and it states that you must have been awarded a bachelors within the last 36 months. I graduated from undergrad in 2017 and i also have a masters so idk if I even qualify

27 minutes ago, queerorpheus said:

I've considered PREP programs, but it seems like a lot of them are designed specifically for underrepresented minorities (as defined by NIH). Some would consider me underrepresented as a queer woman, but I don't fall under the NIH definition specifically. Do you have any insight into whether it's even worth applying? 

(For what it's worth, I do have one interview with a PhD program already. This is more just for my own stress about backup options.)

Another option for a great, life-changing postbac research opportunity is the IRTA/CRTA program at the NIH campus in Bethesda (https://www.training.nih.gov/programs/postbac_irta). Similar to PREP, it's fully funded with health/dental/etc. The application process is somewhat unconventional -you submit a general application with your information then it's your responsibility to contact PI's that you'd be interested in working with to see if they have space for a postbac in their lab. In some cases PI's can also reach out to you after seeing your application in the pool. I think generally people start contacting PI's from around now up until March-ish. The program doesn't have any requirements to be an URM and you can apply even if you have a master's (you get a higher starting stipend too!). There are also lots of resources and events through the training center for preparing for grad school if you end up having to reapply. If you're able to move to Bethesda and want independent research experience I highly recommend it.

I'm a current postbac applying to grad school with pretty successful results so far :) I'd be happy to chat more about the program if anyone is interested!

15 minutes ago, thepuncess said:

Another option for a great, life-changing postbac research opportunity is the IRTA/CRTA program at the NIH campus in Bethesda (https://www.training.nih.gov/programs/postbac_irta). Similar to PREP, it's fully funded with health/dental/etc. The application process is somewhat unconventional -you submit a general application with your information then it's your responsibility to contact PI's that you'd be interested in working with to see if they have space for a postbac in their lab. In some cases PI's can also reach out to you after seeing your application in the pool. I think generally people start contacting PI's from around now up until March-ish. The program doesn't have any requirements to be an URM and you can apply even if you have a master's (you get a higher starting stipend too!). There are also lots of resources and events through the training center for preparing for grad school if you end up having to reapply. If you're able to move to Bethesda and want independent research experience I highly recommend it.

I'm a current postbac applying to grad school with pretty successful results so far :) I'd be happy to chat more about the program if anyone is interested!

I've also started a cover letter for this program as well! I'll definitely let you know if I have any questions, thanks :)

On 1/7/2021 at 11:44 AM, wacharak said:

has anyone heard back from Yale microbiology?

Yes I have. I was invited to interview on December 23rd - doesn't mean you won't get some good news soon though! A lot of people are getting interview invites this week and prob will next week too!