Biomedical Science PhD Applicants (Fall 2021)

bacteriagirl

1 hour ago, winterishere2020 said:

I also applied to the same track and haven't heard back. I emailed the admin and this is the response:

We typically extend offers to interview anywhere from late December through late February. Thank you for your interest!

I guess that leaves us with a little hope! Good luck!

6 hours ago, BobsBurgers said:

I’ve been lurking for a while so I decided to post finally.

quick bio: Ivy League grad in Microbiology, 3.26 gpa. 2 years of undergraduate research w/ honors thesis. 1.5 years (continuing) of post-graduate research at two labs at Yale. No pubs, 1 poster. 3 very strong LORs.

Where I applied(mostly microbiology programs): Harvard (no invite), Yale, Rockefeller, NYU, Weill Cornell, Pitt (rejected), Penn State BMS (interview invite 12/21), Tufts (interview invite 12/22), UCSD (nothing :(), Stanford, Maryland Baltimore, UMass

hoping for more and good luck to everyone!

Did Weill Cornell send out the rejection letter to you?

On 12/22/2020 at 12:35 AM, jill1997 said:

That's great! Congrats! I also applied to UTSW and chose three programs of interest including the molecular and cell biology. I wonder when will their interview weekend be ? Do they ask you to choose like 3-5 professors you'd like to talk with?

Thanks! there was four options for interviews, each one based on different interests in the program's tracks. They also asked for a list of professors to potentially meet with during the interviews. Good Luck! 

On 12/22/2020 at 12:35 AM, jill1997 said:

That's great! Congrats! I also applied to UTSW and chose three programs of interest including the molecular and cell biology. I wonder when will their interview weekend be ? Do they ask you to choose like 3-5 professors you'd like to talk with?

Thanks! there was four options for interviews, each one based on different interests in the program's tracks. They also asked for a list of professors to potentially meet with during the interviews. Good Luck! 

On 12/22/2020 at 1:04 PM, Research Enthusiast said:

Great! Congratulations. I applied on Oct 27th after which they invited me to complete the secondary invitation by Dec 10th. I did so but still haven't heard back from them. I am an international applicant though! are you an international too? If not, did they ask you to complete the secondary application too? Just asking to understand if the secondary applications are only for the international applicants?

I think that the secondary applications are only for international applicants. 

2 minutes ago, BobsBurgers said:

No I haven’t heard from them at all so idk ?

UGH SAME, im international with US degrees [BS UMD, MS Johns Hopkins] finishing up my masters and I applied Nov 29th to Weill Cornell for IMP and I have heard nothing. Their app is also frustrating because its the whole BioMedCas thing and I can't even check anything on there....

Hi everyone! I've been following along with the forum, but just wanted to post my questions here. 

Short bio: big state school, 4.0 gpa, genetics major with a minor in cs. Started research the summer before college started, worked in labs ever since. Worked at a total of 2 academic labs, with 1 summer internship in industry. 1 publication, 1 poster, 1 review and a first author paper in prep/review. Currently working on my honors thesis. 

Where I applied/got interviews: Yale (interview invite 12/11), Harvard BBS, Columbia (interview invite 12/18), Weill Cornell PBSB (interview invite 12/23), MD Anderson, Baylor (interview invite 12/11), UChicago GGSB (interview invite 12/18), UCLA (interview invite 12/14), GSK, UPenn (interview invite 12/13)

I applied broadly because I really didn't think I would have so many interview requests, but I'm very grateful. I was just wondering when would be the best time to reach out to potential PIs to see if they are taking on graduate students? I feel like asking during interviews would be very odd, so should I be reaching out now? 

Anyone received an e-mail from Rutgers today? I received an e-mail with a title' SAVE THE DATE:Rutgers SGS Virtual Recruitment Events'. The e-mail started with' Dear applicant' and then says will be contacted by the first week of Jan for the invitation of virtual recruitment events on Feb 11 & 12. Not sure if this means an interview invitation though...I applied the multidisciplinary phD program in biomedical sciences ( Itrack).

Edited by wwllq

14 minutes ago, rm53 said:

Hi everyone! I've been following along with the forum, but just wanted to post my questions here. 

Short bio: big state school, 4.0 gpa, genetics major with a minor in cs. Started research the summer before college started, worked in labs ever since. Worked at a total of 2 academic labs, with 1 summer internship in industry. 1 publication, 1 poster, 1 review and a first author paper in prep/review. Currently working on my honors thesis. 

Where I applied/got interviews: Yale (interview invite 12/11), Harvard BBS, Columbia (interview invite 12/18), Weill Cornell PBSB (interview invite 12/23), MD Anderson, Baylor (interview invite 12/11), UChicago GGSB (interview invite 12/18), UCLA (interview invite 12/14), GSK, UPenn (interview invite 12/13)

I applied broadly because I really didn't think I would have so many interview requests, but I'm very grateful. I was just wondering when would be the best time to reach out to potential PIs to see if they are taking on graduate students? I feel like asking during interviews would be very odd, so should I be reaching out now? 

very impressive profile. I would say if you get an interview definetely reach out to the professor you are interested in. 

also we have a computational and system biology thread not sure if it applies to you. but you seems very genetics and system/computational biology focused 

1 hour ago, wwllq said:

Anyone received an e-mail from Rutgers today? I received an e-mail with a title' SAVE THE DATE:Rutgers SGS Virtual Recruitment Events'. The e-mail started with' Dear applicant' and then says will be contacted by the first week of Jan for the invitation of virtual recruitment events on Feb 11 & 12. Not sure if this means an interview invitation though...I applied the multidisciplinary phD program in biomedical sciences ( Itrack).

Hello there, 

I have a strong feeling that you have an interview invitation. I received one last Tuesday (12/15) which had subject line "Rutgers Molecular Biosciences Virtual Campus Visit". It was an invitation for interview. As this was a personalized e-mail with a letter attachment having my name and address, I am assuming that they just sent you Save the Date right now and after the holidays would draft a letter to send an official invite. Hoping for the best. 

5 hours ago, rm53 said:

If you end up interviewing with the same PIs that you've listed as preferences when registering for your interview (assuming they've sent the registration or will send it soon), it is extremely likely that PI is 1. taking students and 2. is interested in taking you. This is something you could also get a feel for when you actually interview with them (e.g., by discussing potential projects with them). 

Do schools (eg. Harvard BBS, UPenn GCB, CSHL, etc.) usually send a rejection letter to applicants who were not invited to interviews? I haven't received any invitation so far and there's no update on the application portal whatsoever. Also, does anyone know if JHU CMM is done with sending out invites?

11 hours ago, ssrour98 said:

Has anyone heard back from UT Austin Cell and Molecular Biology? My application status changed to "sent to graduate graduate committee for review."   a while ago but nothing yet... 

I applied to UT Austin - Pharmacology and Toxicology. Got an interview invite on Dec 23rd. Interview scheduled in the first week of February. However, even after getting the invite, the status on my application status page is still ‘In review’.