Biomedical Science PhD Applicants (Fall 2021)

bacteriagirl

14 minutes ago, Cancerbiologisttobe_ said:

Thank you so much for the sources! I appreciate it! I applied to 8 schools already and unfortunately most of them were top tier reach schools (I didn’t pay attention to that when applying- I was more focused on research going on and ability to see myself fitting in certain labs). I really appreciate your suggestions, and hopefully I will hear back from atleast one school with good news and will look into maybe sending out a couple more applications to schools that are still taking apps 

Thats okay! I was in a PREP program and the director helped walk us through all that before we applied :) it’s a learning process 

28 minutes ago, TiredandBroke said:

I feel like Snapchat or Instagram would be the most anonymous if people don't want to share too many personal details

Ok we can do that! Im good with both my username on insta is iman.b95 and on snapchat iman_b95  

i have my messaging on public so whenever you make a chat add me :)! 

Edited by Cancerbiologisttobe_

19 hours ago, Neuromantic said:

I think so- but it was a combined application, so I think that she meant both BMS and Neuro. She said that it's a large group this year.

Hey,

Do you have any idea;

1- when they are gonna send the interviews out? I was in the program as well and they were so organized, more than any other school, this school is my top choice!

2- Dr. Mathew said there would be around 100 people being invited to interview, right? Do you know how much is gonna be bigger the number this year? 

Hi all,

I am wondering when it is basically too late to hear from schools. I still haven't heard from six schools I applied to, including some schools that I know have already sent out some invitations. Do schools sometimes send out invitations in waves, or am I basically out of chances to get an interview?

FYI, these are the schools/programs I am still waiting to hear from:

University of Washington, Microbiology

University of Pennsylvania, CAMB, MVP

Washington University in St. Louis, MMMP

Duke, Molecular Genetics and Microbiology

Emory, Microbiology and Molecular Genetics  

Dartmouth, CMB program

Thanks for any advice you have. This application season has been more stressful than I anticipated. Good luck to everyone!

Just now, vesselym said:

Hi all,

I am wondering when it is basically too late to hear from schools. I still haven't heard from six schools I applied to, including some schools that I know have already sent out some invitations. Do schools sometimes send out invitations in waves, or am I basically out of chances to get an interview?

Dartmouth, CMB program

Thanks for any advice you have. This application season has been more stressful than I anticipated. Good luck to everyone!

I've seen that Penn,UW, WashU, and Duke have sent out invites but I dont know if its for all tracks/programs.

1 hour ago, wwllq said:

Congrats!!!I did not heard from CMM program ?...I probably have to wait until getting the rejections. 

Thank you! No don't say that! There's still a lot of time, and I feel like schools may not be operating as they would other years due to COVID. It isn't easy, so you shouldn't be too hard on yourself. I've had a rollercoaster ride to get to this point and took a third gap year off to do research to strengthen my application, so I know it can be rough. It isn't a reflection on you or your abilities, it may just be a tough year and there is still time! Keep your head up, you got this! :) 

Just now, winterishere2020 said:

According to previous years, Mount Sinai usually sent out their invites in mid December. I am so surprised no one has heard anything from it yet. God knows how many applications they have received this year! 

When i messaged the admissions regarding a status update, they said, "The deadline for the PhD application was December 1, applications are under review. The date for decisions is April 15th, 2020. We have no date range for interview invitations. Monitor emails for communications."

Could not get much clarity from this!?

Just now, Research Enthusiast said:

When i messaged the admissions regarding a status update, they said, "The deadline for the PhD application was December 1, applications are under review. The date for decisions is April 15th, 2020. We have no date range for interview invitations. Monitor emails for communications."

Could not get much clarity from this!?

Do you know if Mount Sinai has interview dates scheduled already? They had the first round of interview in mid-Jan last cycle. I guess if they're doing the same thing this year, some of us may hear from them soon.

Just now, winterishere2020 said:

Do you know if Mount Sinai has interview dates scheduled already? They had the first round of interview in mid-Jan last cycle. I guess if they're doing the same thing this year, some of us may hear from them soon.

I have absolutely no idea regarding their interview schedule. They have not made it public. I don't see any information regarding this on their website.

1 hour ago, vesselym said:

Hi all,

Dartmouth, CMB program

The only insight I can give on this is that I also applied to UPenn CAMB MVP and I received an interview invite back on Dec 12 for Feb 4, 5, and 6. This one *may* be done sending invites.

I applied to UW MCB (not micro) and just heard back yesterday; also applied to UW immunology but have not heard back yet. So don't give up hope. 

Just now, devcby said:

UT southwestern just sent me an invite over email, I applied very late~November 30th. 

Great! Congratulations. I applied on Oct 27th after which they invited me to complete the secondary invitation by Dec 10th. I did so but still haven't heard back from them. I am an international applicant though! are you an international too? If not, did they ask you to complete the secondary application too? Just asking to understand if the secondary applications are only for the international applicants?

1 hour ago, Danbbk said:

Hey,

Do you have any idea;

1- when they are gonna send the interviews out? I was in the program as well and they were so organized, more than any other school, this school is my top choice!

2- Dr. Mathew said there would be around 100 people being invited to interview, right? Do you know how much is gonna be bigger the number this year? 

1. No idea

2. No idea

1 hour ago, vesselym said:

Hi all,

Dartmouth, CMB program

I haven’t heard from Emory either ?

12 hours ago, jill1997 said:

That's great! Congrats! I also applied to UTSW and chose three programs of interest including the molecular and cell biology. I wonder when will their interview weekend be ? Do they ask you to choose like 3-5 professors you'd like to talk with?

I just received an invite from UTSW today. Interview weekends were 01/21-01/22, 02/04-02/05, and 02/11-02/12, with each day featuring specific tracks. They request that you select primary and secondary preferences for interview dates, as well as 5-7 faculty that you're interested in talking with. Good luck!

8 minutes ago, Research Enthusiast said:

Great! Congratulations. I applied on Oct 27th after which they invited me to complete the secondary invitation by Dec 10th. I did so but still haven't heard back from them. I am an international applicant though! are you an international too? If not, did they ask you to complete the secondary application too? Just asking to understand if the secondary applications are only for the international applicants?

Thank you! The email said they received over 1,000 applicants this cycle... so it may just take time to get out to everyone. I am not an international applicant and did not have to submit a secondary application. I remember seeing someone post something that international applicants won't be contacted until mid jan? I may be wrong tho.