Biomedical Science PhD Applicants (Fall 2021)

bacteriagirl

Received an invite for UCSD's Biomedical Sciences program yesterday by phone, super excited! :)

To all of those who haven't received invites: I applied to 18 MD/PhD programs and 3 PhD programs last year. I got 0 interviews and rejected by all programs, which in all reality is 39 programs as most MD/PhD programs will move you to the MD-only pool once rejected. I ultimately want both degrees and have decided to do them separately. I did another year of research, retook some classes to improve my GPA, and now have multiple publications in preparation. So my advice is even if you do not get an interview invite this year, that doesn't mean that your chances for grad school are over. I now have 4 interview invites, 2 of which are top choices of mine. While I know MD admissions are different than PhD, there is always hope. Do not give up. If you want it enough, it will come, but it requires hard work.

Last application cycle, I had 1.5 yrs of wet lab research experience and 2 years of clinical research experience, a meh GPA, good MCAT and NCAA Div 1 Nat Champion. But it took another year of full-time research to get me where I am today. 

I hope this eases the pain some people are feeling on this forum, watching people get invites and not you. I was you last year. 

16 hours ago, rvan said:

I applied to Camb. I'm sure all the camb invites have been sent out already but that's okay. I'll email anyway! 

It wouldn't hurt to email. This whole year seems to be operating uniquely due to COVID, maybe that bleeds into how they're sending invites, etc.

You should've applied to a "track" within CAMB, could be good to check that on the portal.

I applied to CAMB - MVP and received an interview invite on Saturday 12/12. 

16 hours ago, rvan said:

I applied to Camb. I'm sure all the camb invites have been sent out already but that's okay. I'll email anyway! 

It wouldn't hurt to email. This whole year seems to be operating uniquely due to COVID, maybe that bleeds into how they're sending invites, etc.

You should've applied to a "track" within CAMB, could be good to check that on the portal.

I applied to CAMB - MVP and received an interview invite on Saturday 12/12. 

21 hours ago, mishell125 said:

me too with UCSD BMS :)) gooood luck to all! Not sure what UCSD's timeline is... based on past results, invites seem to go out at various times mid/late Dec and early Jan? 

Hopefully we hear back soon with good news from UCSD BMS!! :)

On 12/19/2020 at 2:19 PM, mishell125 said:

me too with UCSD BMS :)) gooood luck to all! Not sure what UCSD's timeline is... based on past results, invites seem to go out at various times mid/late Dec and early Jan? 

I was told UCSD Biological Sciences would respond by the 23rd, most likely around the 21st

Edited by BostonShaker
Specified program

18 hours ago, virushunter said:

Received an invite for UCSD's Biomedical Sciences program yesterday by phone, super excited! :)

To all of those who haven't received invites: I applied to 18 MD/PhD programs and 3 PhD programs last year. I got 0 interviews and rejected by all programs, which in all reality is 39 programs as most MD/PhD programs will move you to the MD-only pool once rejected. I ultimately want both degrees and have decided to do them separately. I did another year of research, retook some classes to improve my GPA, and now have multiple publications in preparation. So my advice is even if you do not get an interview invite this year, that doesn't mean that your chances for grad school are over. I now have 4 interview invites, 2 of which are top choices of mine. While I know MD admissions are different than PhD, there is always hope. Do not give up. If you want it enough, it will come, but it requires hard work.

Last application cycle, I had 1.5 yrs of wet lab research experience and 2 years of clinical research experience, a meh GPA, good MCAT and NCAA Div 1 Nat Champion. But it took another year of full-time research to get me where I am today. 

I hope this eases the pain some people are feeling on this forum, watching people get invites and not you. I was you last year. 

Congrats! Does it sound like UCSD has sent out all the invites? I also applied to the program...

Just now, prospective_molbio said:

Ah yes it is on the website. I was offered the feb 4-6 weekend, but I have a conflict. Do you think it would be okay to ask them to move me to the feb 18-20 one?

I am not sure but I don't see why not, either way it doesn't hurt to ask! I know on the survey they only gave the option for one day to choose from, but I bet they must have this issue pretty frequently with the earlier date.

My question is regarding Brown’s MCBGP. I saw on the results that 3 people have posted that they received invites by phone last week. There are different tracks within Brown MCBGP, did anyone who applied to the Biology of Aging track receive an invite?

1 hour ago, winterishere2020 said:

Did anyone apply to NYU biomedical science umbrella program? Someone got his/her invitation already but I'm wondering if NYU may send out their invitations in waves. 

I did! I did it under the Mechanisms of Disease- Molecular Oncology and Tumor Immunology. I did see a handful say they received invitations. I haven't heard anything.

3 hours ago, virushunter said:

Im so sorry for the repeat posts...not sure why that happened. 

I am not sure. They said they got 700 applicants this year, though.

Could you kindly share with us when the UCSD interview weekend will be? I also applied to UCSD BMS and still waiting...

5 hours ago, antibody33 said:

Haha also hoping they have a few more invites to send out ?. Fingers crossed for both of us!! ?

Im already feeling like its a rejection from UCSD, seeing people are getting invites probably doesnt allude to something good lol oh well! Second rejection- six more to go ? but genuinely so happy for those who got interviews and good luck!! 

15 hours ago, biolgurl said:

I did! I did it under the Mechanisms of Disease- Molecular Oncology and Tumor Immunology. I did see a handful say they received invitations. I haven't heard anything.

Me too I indicated Molecular Oncology and Systems Biology as tracks of interest. I hope they are going to send out more invitations! 

Just now, biolgurl said:

Do we think invitations will continue coming out this week? I've looked at old results and a lot of schools normally sent out last week but it doesn't seem like they sent out yet. Not sure if the holiday changes things.

A few of my programs intend to send invites before Christmas Day, so I'm hopeful that we will hear back in the next few days from some programs.

Just now, BostonShaker said:

I asked them in an open house and via email. I'm specifically referring to UCSD Biosci and UTMB M&I but I suspect Icahn and UW-Seattle MCB may be this week if not the week after.

I am thinking (hoping) Icahn will be this week too. When I participated in their advisory program they suggested they were hoping to have a quick turnaround.. but as always things seem delayed this year! Fingers crossed!