Biomedical Science PhD Applicants (Fall 2021)

bacteriagirl

25 minutes ago, jakeperalta said:

me! 2 rejections and dry inbox for interviews! i got you fam, we'll get through it

Hopefully we both will receive great news soon!!! Its just really hard to keep ur head up when all youve heard is bad news so farĀ 

3 minutes ago, Cancerbiologisttobe_ said:

Hopefully we both will receive great news soon!!! Its just really hard to keep ur head up when all youve heard is bad news so farĀ 

I completely understand -- its my second cycle too, so really hard to keep hope from dwindling ā¤ļøĀ but its ok! lets keep hoping and I am sure we will receive great news very very soon!

2 hours ago, Cancerbiologisttobe_ said:

I just read through the FAQSĀ and it states that you must have been awarded a bachelors within the last 36 months. I graduated from undergrad in 2017 and i also have a masters so idk if I even qualify

I'd suggest looking into the IRTA/CRTA like thepuncess mentioned (if you'd start the program within 6 months of graduating with your masters)! There's also the possibility of working as a tech in a lab somewhere.Ā 

2 hours ago, queerorpheus said:

I've considered PREP programs, but it seems like a lot of them are designed specifically for underrepresented minorities (as defined by NIH). Some would consider me underrepresented as a queer woman, but I don't fall under the NIH definition specifically. Do you have any insight into whether it's even worth applying?Ā 

(For what it's worth, I do have one interview with a PhD program already. This is more just for my own stress about backup options.)

Have you checked the expanded article on eligibility by the NIH? If you grew up poor, essentially, you may be eligible. Also, you may be eligible as a woman. Here's the link:Ā https://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/notice-files/NOT-OD-20-031.htmlĀ  To answer your question, youĀ mustĀ meet NIH eligibility to enter a PREP program.Ā 

There's also the possibilityĀ of working as a research tech somewhere.Ā 

Considering you have aĀ PhD interview, I'd just focus on nailing that! Good luck, and let me know if you have any other questions!Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

4 hours ago, Cancerbiologisttobe_ said:

Im happy for everyone getting interviews but is there anyone on here who has yet to receive any interview invites? Im starting to feel super down and lost. It sucks man

Ā I would also recommend a research assistant position! It functions asĀ full-time employment so you will get paid. Depending on the institution, certain benefits might also be included.Ā 

This is my second cycle and Im currently working as a RA. Honestly, its been a great experience and basically mimics a graduate experience. Depending on your work, there's also good opportunities for presentations and publications. And since its full time research experience, it does add a lot to your CV as well as produce a good letter of recommendation. Let me know if you have any questions!

20 minutes ago, TiredandBroke said:

Ā I would also recommend a research assistant position! It functions asĀ full-time employment so you will get paid. Depending on the institution, certain benefits might also be included.Ā 

This is my second cycle and Im currently working as a RA. Honestly, its been a great experience and basically mimics a graduate experience. Depending on your work, there's also good opportunities for presentations and publications. And since its full time research experience, it does add a lot to your CV as well as produce a good letter of recommendation. Let me know if you have any questions!

I completely agree with this! You will gain a lot of experience and itĀ definitely helps your CV/admission chances.

2 hours ago, TiredandBroke said:

I agree completely. Working as a RA was a great decision and speaking to grad students and post docs made my 2nd cycle much betterĀ 

Has anyone here heard back from UT Austin cell and molecular bio program? i saw a couple of people post today that they got an interview invitation for this coming week!Ā 

Anyone know if this is going to be their only interview dates? Do they send out invites all together or slowly?Ā 

would emailing the graduate coordinator or a PI that IĀ had met with informally (early December which went very well; emailed me after saying they hope to see me on campus in their lab next year) be appropriate? is it still to early to be assuming a rejection?Ā  should IĀ just continue waiting?

15 hours ago, ssrour98 said:

Has anyone here heard back from UT Austin cell and molecular bio program? i saw a couple of people post today that they got an interview invitation for this coming week!Ā 

Anyone know if this is going to be their only interview dates? Do they send out invites all together or slowly?Ā 

would emailing the graduate coordinator or a PI that IĀ had met with informally (early December which went very well; emailed me after saying they hope to see me on campus in their lab next year) be appropriate? is it still to early to be assuming a rejection?Ā  should IĀ just continue waiting?

I heard from them yesterday - it seems like they send invites over time. I'm not sure if 1/13 and 1/22 are going to be the only interview dates, but I do know that they plan to have an accepted students-only event at the end of February and that leads me to believe they want to wrap the process up quick.

On 12/21/2020 at 6:30 PM, ssrour98 said:

I applied to UT Austin Molecular Biology but still have not heard back, the status page says sent to admissions committee for review. Its been like this for about a week but nothing yet.Ā 

I recieved an invite from them this week.Ā