Biomedical Science PhD Applicants (Fall 2021)

bacteriagirl

4 hours ago, prospective_molbio said:

Are you guys planning to have some powerpoint slides / figures to show during your interviews? I am not sure if I should. I've received conflicting advice.... some people told me that interviews are suposed to be like conversations, so it is not advised to have any slides or anything whereas others say it will be helpful to get your points across.

I am leaning towards not having any, but idk if that may make me look unprepared/less prepared than other people getting interviewed if they do have them.

Most of what I've heard advises against doing this. It could come off implying that you don't know your research well enough to talk about it without relying on something to guide you.

Also, the actual interviews go by really quickly!! 20-30 minutes is really not a lot of time..and in the interviews I've had so far I would say that really only 5-10 minutes was spent talking about my own research.

4 hours ago, hopefulgrad123 said:

Congrats! I still haven't heard from Denver. I know their admissions FAQ says that if you don't receive an interview invite or denial that your application is waitlisted. Really hoping I get lucky...

Good luck!!

On 1/11/2021 at 3:15 PM, ebolafighter said:

Does anyone have info on Baylor? I keep getting the, your application is still under review emails, but not sure when the reviews will stop and invites begin? I applied for Immunology and microbiology

I got the invitation from the I&M program today. So it looks like the review is still going!

2 hours ago, tinykoala92 said:

It looks like this is the only interview cycle, they say that the will send out final descisions in earlt feb

thanks for responding and congratulations! I really hoped to have gotten an invitation from this program but its alright! Im just happy I was invited to other UT campuses!! 

Have lowkey been stalking this thread for a month now lmao 

i applied to: (all PhD programs)

UVA-biomedical sciences

Duke- immunology

northwestern- PhD/MPH 

uChicago

Emory

UW

I’ve only heard back from Duke (rejected) and am going crazy about the others. 
I know I’ve seen some people get interviews for these schools, but anyone else waiting in purgatory? ? 

Even a rejection is better than the silence lol

Edited by angryRAMOScells

20 minutes ago, biolgurl said:

Hi all! I was wondering thoughts on emailing the program following your interview just saying thank you and reiterating your interest? Should this go to the program director and/ or the interviewers? Thanks!

It is always good to send thank you emails to the faculty that interviewed you! Try to mention something that you talked about during the interview in the email as a reminder of who you are but also to show that you remembered the conversation. 

2 hours ago, biolgurl said:

Hi all! I was wondering thoughts on emailing the program following your interview just saying thank you and reiterating your interest? Should this go to the program director and/ or the interviewers? Thanks!

I sent thank-you emails to all interviewers, usually the Mon/Tue after the interview weekend. Emailing the director wouldn't hurt either. Regardless, I'd say that the emails are just niceties and really wouldn't change your chances in most cases. Some admissions results come out super fast, so some of my emails actually ended up being sent after I got accepted lol

3 hours ago, biolgurl said:

To piggyback on what the others have said: if you've just finished an interview at a place that is your top choice, I would absolutely send thank you emails (even to the program director). This is advice I received from the chair of a biology department at Northwestern during a mock interview. 

23 hours ago, prospective_molbio said:

Are you guys planning to have some powerpoint slides / figures to show during your interviews? I am not sure if I should. I've received conflicting advice.... some people told me that interviews are suposed to be like conversations, so it is not advised to have any slides or anything whereas others say it will be helpful to get your points across.

I am leaning towards not having any, but idk if that may make me look unprepared/less prepared than other people getting interviewed if they do have them.

I am not! Most schools just want to make sure you can describe your research well and speak in a scientific manner. My PI at home institution (who is on their admissions committee) said his best interviews he's had feel like conversations! You are interviewing them, just as much as they are interviewing you! Just be yourself and let the conversation flow. That being said, I am not preparing slides or anything regarding my research. I just planned out a "road map" of what I want to say and how it will flow sequentially! Hope this helps. Good luck in all your interviews.

Edited by biochemtess

1 hour ago, wiz1810 said:

JHU CMM interview date confirmed, got the last interview weekend :(. 

Don't worry--that's irrelevant. 

1 hour ago, ebolafighter said:

Has anyone had a preliminary interview? I got an email saying I have a 25 min interview with people from the graduate admissions board. Has anyone had something similar? How did you prepare? 

I did a preliminary interview with Emory. I got on a Zoom call for 10-15 minutes with the director of the program and he just asked me general questions (therefore, I didn't really prepare). I was asked questions like: why do you want to attend graduate school? What are your career goals? Why attracted you to that specific school and program? Who's research are you most interested in, in the program? What are you looking for out of a graduate school? We probably also spent 5 minutes talking about me in general. I used to live in PA and so did the director so we had that connection to speak on. The next day, I received an email saying I was moving on in the interview process for formal recruitment. It is just a means to weed more people out so they are interviewing less people but also people they feel more strongly about in terms of fitting well into their program.

Has anyone interviewed for the MCB program at Dartmouth college yet? If yes, has any decision been made. If no, when is the interview scheduled? I would really love to know.

Does anyone who is interviewing at Brown Pathobiology have a confirmed interview date yet? I sent my request in almost immediately after getting the invite email, and now the first one is next week and I haven't gotten any sort of info back yet about what day I am expected to be there.