Biomedical Science PhD Applicants (Fall 2021)

bacteriagirl

1 hour ago, sirtuingirl said:

Did they have another interview date on Jan 21/22? If so, they might wait to get interview feedback on that group as well and send offers to some from the combined group and wait until the final interview date to decide on the remaining.

They do not have an interview date on Jan21/22 but they do have one this upcoming week so it could be true that they're waiting for the second round of interview. 

20 minutes ago, PhDBound123 said:

They do not have an interview date on Jan21/22 but they do have one this upcoming week so it could be true that they're waiting for the second round of interview. 

I think so. Jan 14/15 interviews are among the earliest across programs. Jan28/29 are more “average” in terms of timeframe. Therefore, programs that have 2 interview dates in January can afford to look at applicants of both groups before they extend any offers. Not sure programs that have their first interview on Jan 28/29 or in Feb will wait to complete multiple rounds of interviews before extending any offers. Unless you are an extremely highly regarded program or very small (~ 10 slots), you cannot gain mindshare amongst the top candidates unless you make offers to them by 1st week in Feb.

4 hours ago, Sky_china said:

This made me super nevous lol....  I think I will be in the Feb 26 one ..

You should be fine! Their admissions are "rolling" in the sense they admit after each interview session instead of waiting until the end. It was just kind of like "we really liked these apps so we're doing these first" I think.

19 hours ago, jakeperalta said:

Has anyone heard literally anything from U Wisconsin Madison MDTP? I submitted my app 29th Nov and have heard nothing -- my portal still says my app will be reviewed. In previous cycles, they've been super early in sending invites and rejections and this year is so off I'm confused!

So I was curious about this too since I haven't heard anything. I emailed the admissions coordinator and got an email saying I'm on the direct admit list??? Which essentially means if a PI picks me by 1/31 I could join their lab directly. However if they don't pick me, then I am rejected and don't enter the regular pool? I didn't find out until I emailed so maybe worth an email to the coordinator!

10 hours ago, jill1997 said:

Hi! I applied to JHU (CMDB ) and Cornell (BCMB). Hope that helps!

I see in your signature that you have a rejection from JHU. I also applied to CMDB and haven't heard anything either way - I'm assuming rejection but I'm curious to know when you heard and who you heard from.

6 minutes ago, Rbgs44 said:

Has anyone heard back from NYU? I know they send invitations out late, I’m just curious to know if they’ve sent any. 

I received an interview invite on Dec 23rd, but the dates were for the 1st week of March, so there is still plenty of time for more to be sent out. 

1 minute ago, Quiteña said:

I received an interview invite on Dec 23rd, but the dates were for the 1st week of March, so there is still plenty of time for more to be sent out. 

What program did you apply to? I applied to the microbiology and immunology. I heard other programs have heard back but I’m not sure if micro has reached out to anyone.

8 minutes ago, Rbgs44 said:

What program did you apply to? I applied to the microbiology and immunology. I heard other programs have heard back but I’m not sure if micro has reached out to anyone.

Molecular pharm! Kind of a tangential question, but do different admissions committees review applications based on what area you indicated as an interest? I ask because a lot of these umbrella programs state that they do not require commitment to a department until the end of the first year, so I assumed there would only be one large committee as opposed to separate ones based on department. 

31 minutes ago, Quiteña said:

Molecular pharm! Kind of a tangential question, but do different admissions committees review applications based on what area you indicated as an interest? I ask because a lot of these umbrella programs state that they do not require commitment to a department until the end of the first year, so I assumed there would only be one large committee as opposed to separate ones based on department. 

I think a lot of umbrella programs actually have smaller committees for different specific programs or research interests. This makes it easier for the program and also better for you to have your application reviewed by people familiar with your specific interests! However, most programs will say that these choices are not binding and you can absolutely choose to join a different program at the end of the first year (and they probably actually expect this will happen in many cases). My understanding is it’s all about making their application review process smoother, since umbrella programs will attract a large number of applicants with a wide range of research experiences and interests. When this is the case, it’s not uncommon for the different programs/research areas to send out interview invites on different timelines.

3 hours ago, ebolafighter said:

So I was curious about this too since I haven't heard anything. I emailed the admissions coordinator and got an email saying I'm on the direct admit list??? Which essentially means if a PI picks me by 1/31 I could join their lab directly. However if they don't pick me, then I am rejected and don't enter the regular pool? I didn't find out until I emailed so maybe worth an email to the coordinator!

T_T I am terrified -- so if they don't pick us by then, we're rejected right? Imma just wait......................

2 hours ago, Rbgs44 said:

Has anyone heard back from NYU? I know they send invitations out late, I’m just curious to know if they’ve sent any. 

Hey I also applied to Micro! Haven't heard anything, nothing on the portal -- but I did hear from someone who did Micro and got an interview request sometime in Mid-dec for Interview like the 29th of Jan -- so they are hopefully doing multiple rounds!

8 hours ago, Bio123456789 said:

Hello! Has anyone interviewing for Caltech biology received their interview schedule yet?

Yes, Liz Ayala sent me a non-complete one ago about a week ago but I think it was only because I had an overlapping time and she wanted to tell me about it. She also said, "I hope to send schedules out either late Jan 26 or early Jan 27 in a.m."

Hope that helps!

"See" you there :)

20 hours ago, queerorpheus said:

I see in your signature that you have a rejection from JHU. I also applied to CMDB and haven't heard anything either way - I'm assuming rejection but I'm curious to know when you heard and who you heard from.

I heard from them at Jan 12, with an email said "A decision has been made on your application" and I check the portal and found the rejection. 

2 hours ago, prayingforamiracle said:

I interviewed with them, and I’m still waiting too. I keep refreshing my email and the results page so many times already but nothing so far ?

Me too! Finger crossed that a good news is on the way! 

Edited by wwllq

4 hours ago, jill1997 said:

I heard from them at Jan 12, with an email said "A decision has been made on your application" and I check the portal and found the rejection. 

Interesting, I still haven't heard anything but I'll check my portal just in case. Thanks!

1 hour ago, prayingforamiracle said:

Same here! I’m totally in love with the program so I hope it works out. Best of luck! Which field of research are you interested in?

I am interested in the immuno & micro track:)