Biomedical Science PhD Applicants (Fall 2021)

bacteriagirl

2 hours ago, sippinmytea said:

Hey all, hope everyone's interviews have been going as smooth as possible! In terms of being prepared for interviews, (besides knowing your own research in detail) how helpful is it to know 1-2 of the PI's papers in detail? Has anyone been reading papers and thinking of follow-up experiments/questions to ask? Or am I overthinking this.. ?

Well, It is always better to be well prepared. Have some questions ready beforehand or also you can be engaged in a discussion about any of their current projects and its future aspects. But, if it is in virtual tour, the allotted time (~30min) is not sufficient, most of that would pass by telling them about you and your research.

Hey, those who are interviewing with UTSW .... if you had applied with the MoDTS track... what were you asked by the committee? 

In general those who interviewed with UTSW this past week  what was your experience like?

Hi guys, I hope you don't mind if I rant a bit. I guess this entire cycle has just been really hard. I received my waitlist from BU (where I currently work, got my undergrad and masters degree from AND all of my recommendations were from faculty in the program...), and I'm just... sad I guess. Pretty much rejected from every other program (I am very fortunate to have one interview though). Like it just doesn't seem to make sense to work this hard (already for the institution I work for) and now I'm just sitting at my work desk like K, thanks. 

Sorry to take over and rant, but I just want to say if you're feeling down today I feel you and I know we will make it through but its okay to be a little sad. Virtual hugs all around! ❤️ 

3 hours ago, ebolafighter said:

Hi guys, I hope you don't mind if I rant a bit. I guess this entire cycle has just been really hard. I received my waitlist from BU (where I currently work, got my undergrad and masters degree from AND all of my recommendations were from faculty in the program...), and I'm just... sad I guess. Pretty much rejected from every other program (I am very fortunate to have one interview though). Like it just doesn't seem to make sense to work this hard (already for the institution I work for) and now I'm just sitting at my work desk like K, thanks. 

Sorry to take over and rant, but I just want to say if you're feeling down today I feel you and I know we will make it through but its okay to be a little sad. Virtual hugs all around! ❤️ 

"Take it personally". Wherever you end up, show that that they made the wrong choice.

Anyone else still eagerly waiting for an interview from MD Anderson ? I'm constantly checking my email but also praying not to receive a rejection. Being this late in the cycle and international, don't want to get my hopes high though..they'll probably have very very fews spots left for the last interview round anyway. Please share updates if anyone has any :)

18 minutes ago, T suppressors said:

Anyone else still eagerly waiting for an interview from MD Anderson ? I'm constantly checking my email but also praying not to receive a rejection. Being this late in the cycle and international, don't want to get my hopes high though..they'll probably have very very fews spots left for the last interview round anyway. Please share updates if anyone has any :)

They are extremely slow on the interviews and i have heard my friends got offer around may..  

That being said people said the last interview is on Feb 26 and my friend is offered that one a week ago

21 hours ago, ebolafighter said:

Hey sorry to hear, and na rant away. The waitlist isn't a bad thing! That means there's still a chance so hold on for a little bit! However, if it doesn't, since you work there, Id suggest asking for feedback from faculty/ admissions. Maybe even emailing the other places. Y'know you were clearly a good candidate if they interviewed and waitlisted you but maybe they can tell you what will give you that extra bump your application would need for a future cycle. Good luck!!

2 minutes ago, PhDBound123 said:

Did Johns Hopkins CMM started calling people? I saw a rejection on the results page. 

Their interviews go through Feb, I'm not sure if you mean post interview calls but interview invites all seem to have gone out

16 minutes ago, wiz1810 said:

Also if you had your interview wanna tell me a little about it lol? Mine is on the last date

I meant post-interview phone call. They said they would be calling people on a rolling basis. The interview was like normal interview. Got to meet students and had 25 min interviews with 4 faculty. They mentioned that the admission director will call people if they get accepted instead of emailing. Good Luck!

Accepted to St. Judes a few days ago. 

Feel free to ignore this, but a helpful tip a grad student during an interview session told me today was to write down pros and cons of each school right after the interview session to help make your decision later. Been on 5 interviews so far and after each one felt like I really liked the school and would attend. 

Just realized a letter of rec was never fully uploaded for harvard BBS just says "started" as the status so I think that was a waste of 120 bucks or whatever ?

On 1/27/2021 at 8:38 AM, hot leaf juice said:

From my understanding they only have one interview weekend (first week of Jan) & some acceptances went out on Monday! It's a really small program though (~6), so I'm not sure if all acceptances were extended or if they are going to wait to hear back from applicants before extending all offers? 

Is your deadline to accept the 10th of feb?

On 2/2/2021 at 11:17 PM, T suppressors said:

No news is probably good news from MDA! Their interviews are going throughout the month, and I know people have still been hearing from them. Also I wouldn't be too concerned about being international when it comes to them, in my interview it was about 50/50 domestic and international and they told us their admits are 40% international too. Best of luck, hope to see you in Houston! ?

1 hour ago, neurokenzie said:

No news is probably good news from MDA! Their interviews are going throughout the month, and I know people have still been hearing from them. Also I wouldn't be too concerned about being international when it comes to them, in my interview it was about 50/50 domestic and international and they told us their admits are 40% international too. Best of luck, hope to see you in Houston! ?

Ok great! fingers crossed in that case :)) Thank you!!

On 2/3/2021 at 12:01 PM, biologybear said:

Has anyone heard from the NYU GSAS Biology program? (Not Vilcek/Sackler)

Hey! I heard back about an interview on 21Dec. Their interview dates are late Feb and early March so hopefully they're probably still sending out interviews...