Biomedical Science PhD Applicants (Fall 2021)

bacteriagirl

1 hour ago, Immuno_Emma said:

Does anyone who has interviewed with CSHL know when we’ll be hearing back?

Haha I am waiting too! I have a feeling that we will hear back either by the end of this week, or definitely next week! Crossing my fingers for us! 

For anyone who interviewed at City of Hope, how long after the interview did you receive the decision? I saw a couple of posts on the results page with acceptance the very next morning after the interview but not sure if they keep sending out for the next few days? I interviewed last Friday...

12 hours ago, PhDBound123 said:

For people who went to the third John's Hopkins CMM recruitment weekend, did they mention when we will hear back? I went to their second one and haven't heard back yet. 

They said they will be calling accepted applicants this week and next week. They also emphasized that some students will be waitlisted because they have a strict cap of 22 students per cohort that they can't go over because of funding, so they have to admit on a rolling basis. (i.e. they can't just send out 40 acceptances at once and hope to end up with exactly 22 students. They have to be more strategic about it). Personally, I have not heard back yet. Hope this helps! Good luck! 

10 hours ago, rmg20 said:

They said they will be calling accepted applicants this week and next week. They also emphasized that some students will be waitlisted because they have a strict cap of 22 students per cohort that they can't go over because of funding, so they have to admit on a rolling basis. (i.e. they can't just send out 40 acceptances at once and hope to end up with exactly 22 students. They have to be more strategic about it). Personally, I have not heard back yet. Hope this helps! Good luck! 

Thanks! Yes, I remember them telling us that they do not have a department affiliation so they rely on the NIH grant which have a strict cap on number of students. Good luck to you too. Hopefully we will get the phone call soon. 

On 2/22/2021 at 5:52 PM, Tomthegreat said:

Rejected by Columbia today...The only program in NYC I have left now is Weill Cornell ?

Sorry to hear that. When did you interview? I interviewed the past week and I am not sure when to expect decision.  Good luck with your WEILL CORNELL interview 

1 minute ago, MedDaisuki said:

Sorry to hear that. When did you interview? I interviewed the past week and I am not sure when to expect decision.  Good luck with your WEILL CORNELL interview 

I interviewed with Columbia in Jan 21-22 and I guess generally one week-10 days after the last round of interview days you should expect to hear back (it has been the case for most of the places I interviewed at) and if not I would follow up with the program. And thanks for the kind words! I actually already did my interview with Weill Cornell in early Feb and found out I got waitlisted lol. 

6 minutes ago, Tomthegreat said:

I interviewed with Columbia in Jan 21-22 and I guess generally one week-10 days after the last round of interview days you should expect to hear back (it has been the case for most of the places I interviewed at) and if not I would follow up with the program. And thanks for the kind words! I actually already did my interview with Weill Cornell in early Feb and found out I got waitlisted lol. 

lol these are competitive programs!!! How did you feel about your interviews? I wonder how they make decisions. I bet most people feel good about their interviews.  

1 hour ago, MedDaisuki said:

lol these are competitive programs!!! How did you feel about your interviews? I wonder how they make decisions. I bet most people feel good about their interviews.  

Yes totally I also feel very good about the interviews as well as very accomplished since some interviewers expressed their interests in keeping in touch with me about research in the future if I were admitted. From what I have seen in the post many other who also interviewed there but have not been accepted are also saying the same regarding their Weill Cornell interview (BCMB or other programs). I guess a great interview experience/performance is necessary but not sufficient to get in since most people are having this experience. 

8 hours ago, MedDaisuki said:

6 hours ago, Tomthegreat said:

Yes totally I also feel very good about the interviews as well as very accomplished since some interviewers expressed their interests in keeping in touch with me about research in the future if I were admitted. From what I have seen in the post many other who also interviewed there but have not been accepted are also saying the same regarding their Weill Cornell interview (BCMB or other programs). I guess a great interview experience/performance is necessary but not sufficient to get in since most people are having this experience. 

Hey sorry about your WC rejection. I left that interview feeling awful and totally thought I would get rejected, but I got in. The interviewers were friendly but all ask very tough questions, and I wasn't able to answer all of them. I think what got me in though, was that I read their papers and asked really critical questions of their research (later found out that some of these questions were also asked by their own editors) and, where I can, I also ask about the potentially of this or that follow up research. 

Edited by PTH97

4 hours ago, PTH97 said:

Hey sorry about your WC rejection. I left that interview feeling awful and totally thought I would get rejected, but I got in. The interviewers were friendly but all ask very tough questions, and I wasn't able to answer all of them. I think what got me in though, was that I read their papers and asked really critical questions of their research (later found out that some of these questions were also asked by their own editors) and, where I can, I also ask about the potentially of this or that follow up research. 

Congrats on your acceptance! I read some of the interviewers' papers who are in my field and asked them not hard but questions related to my direction; one of them is working on a quite different subject so I did not want to risk sounding stupid but only asked some general questions which might be a mistake in retrospect. That's a great point and I will keep that in mind and do the same for my following interviews. Last but not the least, I was rejected by Columbia but I have not been officially rejected by WC. I emailed the program coordinator and they replied that they are listing my application as alternate (fingers crossed). 

On 2/22/2021 at 5:37 PM, Hepatotox95 said:

Haha I am waiting too! I have a feeling that we will hear back either by the end of this week, or definitely next week! Crossing my fingers for us! 

Have you heard back yet? I saw an acceptance on the results page 

7 hours ago, wwllq said:

Does anyone know what happens to the Indiana IBMG program? Have they sent out all offers? I only see one or two post on the Result...

That’s what I want to know too! I haven’t heard back either. I emailed them on Tuesday to ask for an update, but they haven’t replied back to me yet ? it’s really weird...