Biomedical Science PhD Applicants (Fall 2021)

bacteriagirl

On 2/12/2021 at 1:13 PM, Research Enthusiast said:

Anyone here interviewed at Baylor College of Medicine for DDMT (Development, Disease Models, and Therapeutics) track? If yes, would you mind sharing your experience? Also, any idea about their post-interview acceptance rate?

I interviewed with them last week. The faculty members (3 in my case) are very nice and I had a chance to speak with the program director (I'm not sure whether all interviewees will talk with him). they also have some other activities like lunch time with current students and with professors. 

The interview is mainly about your science and they will also introduce their own research work. You can ask them anything you'd like to know 

On 2/12/2021 at 2:00 PM, dymatthew said:

Yeah, I interviewed with them Jan. 21-22. They said that their admissions committee would not be making any decisions until after the Feb. 4-5 interviews, and that admissions decisions could be released between late February and early March. I got a call from one of the faculty who interviewed me telling me I had been accepted yesterday, Feb. 11, and then the official letter came via email immediately after.

Thank you! 

For anyone who has interviewed with NYU Vilcek, when did you get your interview itinerary? My interviews are in 2 weeks and I haven't gotten any itinerary from them, but of course will reach out to them next week if I haven't heard from them already. Just curious for how close to the interviews NYU sends this info since I would like to skim through publications of the faculty I'll interview with.

On 2/12/2021 at 9:17 PM, devcby said:

Accepted to both Emory BCDB and Weill Cornell BCMB (Interview Jan21-22)

On 2/13/2021 at 3:49 PM, scientist1313 said:

I was accepted yesterday and interviewed the second weekend (Feb 3-5)

Hi! Congratulations! By when do you have to let them know about your decision? 

12 hours ago, BiomedPhd said:

Hi! Congratulations! By when do you have to let them know about your decision? 

Thank you! It is April 15th for both Emory and Weill Cornell. Glad to have the time to decide

Anyone hear back from USC PiBBS or Biology of Aging? I have other interviews/offers at this point (luckily) but it's the only school (out of more than a dozen...) that I've had complete and utter radiosilence from at this moment in time. 

Just weird -- seems semi-negligent to not give any updates 3 months after handing them $200 (or whatever) for free ?

14 hours ago, FTJ27 said:

Has anyone here heard back from MMI program of University of Maryland School of Medicine or IUPUI IBMG program after their interview?

I interviewed for IBMG, and they sent an email last week to give an update that they’ll start sending offers by end of this week, so fingers crossed!

4 hours ago, st21 said:

Anyone hear back from USC PiBBS or Biology of Aging? I have other interviews/offers at this point (luckily) but it's the only school (out of more than a dozen...) that I've had complete and utter radiosilence from at this moment in time. 

Just weird -- seems semi-negligent to not give any updates 3 months after handing them $200 (or whatever) for free ?

Yes, total silence from USC Pibbs.  

9 minutes ago, IgGradschool said:

I applied to their Pathobiology PhD program and have not heard back 

I am interviewing for MPP, ended up not applying for Pathobiology. I saw some MPP interview invites on the results page figured I'd check in. Good luck! 

On 2/14/2021 at 8:49 PM, MedDaisuki said:

Has anyone interviewed at Columbia Umbrella program? Can you share what your experience was and any advice?   

It feels redundant that we have to interview with 4-6 faculties and describe our research 4-6 times lol    

I interviewed at Columbia Coordinated Biomed program G&D track, so my experience may be not directly relevant. The first day was student only events, where ppl could just get to know each other and ask some tips from current students since they know basically all the interviewers. Next day is the program overview and the actual interviews. Basically the same set up like other programs but they set every applicant up with 5 faculty members in one day; so everyone was talking to someone during the time slots; be prepared for kinda grilling questions as I have heard from the others. I personally didn't get that many technical questions but they were also very interested in knowing what was my role in the research experience. And if you are paired up with professors who are not in ur area, prepare to ask them more questions about their research/the particular program to fill the time since the conversation probably won't go into ur experience into the degree you want. 

One funny thing about this interview was that the faculty interviewers held a meeting immediately after all the interviews and it went over time, so we the interviewees just hang out on Zoom waiting for the faculty social events and speculating what was going on in that meeting. 

Anyway best of luck! 

On 2/16/2021 at 2:08 PM, wiz1810 said:

Anyone else apply to Brown MPP here?

I got an interview invite from them on Feb. 14! I actually thought that they ghost rejected me because it's been so long now, but their interview sessions will be on the week of March 1. 

On 12/5/2020 at 12:48 AM, neurokenzie said:

I applied too and I’m terrified. I feel like everyone on here is like “I only have ten years of research experience, 26 publications, and a 4.0 at Harvard, chance me but I’m not gonna get in :(“ and it’s really disheartening to see there’s not a bigger community of regular ol people this year. 

Yeah, that's what I've been seeing a lot here, sometimes it just makes me feel little anxious. 

Hope you got selected in a good school, and wish you luck for pursuing your studies. 

9 hours ago, ProAtOverthinking said:

Yeah, that's what I've been seeing a lot here, sometimes it just makes me feel little anxious. 

Hope you got selected in a good school, and wish you luck for pursuing your studies. 

I've been accepted to three awesome schools, and I couldn't be happier. Grad admissions are officially over for me, and I've learned a whole lot about myself. I wish you the best of luck as well!