Biomedical Science PhD Applicants (Fall 2021)

bacteriagirl

1 hour ago, babymicrobiologist said:

Does anyone know the post-interview acceptance rate for UTSW BBS?

The UTSW BBS program said they are shooting to have 75 students in the class. In my interview session, there were ~40 candidates interviewing, and I think they do a total of 6 interview sessions (so if they're all about the same size, that's roughly 240 candidates that they're interviewing). They probably accept around twice as many applicants as they have room for, so around ~150. Therefore, 150/240 = ~63%. This is purely speculative since I don't know their actual acceptance rates post-interview, but should give a rough idea.

15 hours ago, dymatthew said:

The UTSW BBS program said they are shooting to have 75 students in the class. In my interview session, there were ~40 candidates interviewing, and I think they do a total of 6 interview sessions (so if they're all about the same size, that's roughly 240 candidates that they're interviewing). They probably accept around twice as many applicants as they have room for, so around ~150. Therefore, 150/240 = ~63%. This is purely speculative since I don't know their actual acceptance rates post-interview, but should give a rough idea.

Hi! I saw you have gotten the acceptance to BCM I&M program. May I ask when is your interview and how long does it take to hear from the program after the interview? I just interviewed with them last week...

1 hour ago, wwllq said:

Hi! I saw you have gotten the acceptance to BCM I&M program. May I ask when is your interview and how long does it take to hear from the program after the interview? I just interviewed with them last week...

Yeah, I interviewed with them Jan. 21-22. They said that their admissions committee would not be making any decisions until after the Feb. 4-5 interviews, and that admissions decisions could be released between late February and early March. I got a call from one of the faculty who interviewed me telling me I had been accepted yesterday, Feb. 11, and then the official letter came via email immediately after.

5 minutes ago, PhDBound123 said:

Just saw people getting accepted to Weill Cornell BCMB. Did you interview during the first or second weekend? 

I interviewed on Jan 21-22 for the IMP program. It seems like all acceptances are sent out at once for all the programs at WCM. Bummer

5 minutes ago, Immuno_Emma said:

I interviewed on Jan 21-22 for the IMP program. It seems like all acceptances are sent out at once for all the programs at WCM. Bummer

I see. Real bummer! I'm hoping that they are sending it in waves since I interviewed with them the first week of Feb. Weill Cornell was my top choice. Strange because my interview all went very well. 

On 1/26/2021 at 3:14 PM, StemCells4Lyfe said:

Did you get the option to choose either your date or even the PI's you're interviewing with?

Hi there, yes I was invited to the first interview date but had to choose the second interview date since I was already interviewing somewhere else at that time. I mentioned researchers I was interested in in my personal statement and all of them were my interviewers except for one. 

For people with multiple acceptances, is it appropriate to let schools know you're not accepting their offer before you have decided on the school you want to go to? Either way I was planning on letting schools know at least a month before April 15, but I know there are a lot of students who would like these spots sooner rather than later.

Also, for schools that you haven't got an interview or rejection from, but no longer would want to attend due to other offers, is it better to wait for them to reject you or to withdraw your application?

tysm :)

11 minutes ago, virushunter said:

For people with multiple acceptances, is it appropriate to let schools know you're not accepting their offer before you have decided on the school you want to go to? Either way I was planning on letting schools know at least a month before April 15, but I know there are a lot of students who would like these spots sooner rather than later.

Also, for schools that you haven't got an interview or rejection from, but no longer would want to attend due to other offers, is it better to wait for them to reject you or to withdraw your application?

tysm :)

I think you should definitely let the schools know asap if you are certain you would rather go to one of your other choices. The schools appreciate knowing that, and applicants will as well since they can get more offers out earlier. I also think that if you are no longer interested in a program, you should withdraw your application. That interview offer could go to someone who is still interested!

15 minutes ago, Quiteña said:

I think you should definitely let the schools know asap if you are certain you would rather go to one of your other choices. The schools appreciate knowing that, and applicants will as well since they can get more offers out earlier. I also think that if you are no longer interested in a program, you should withdraw your application. That interview offer could go to someone who is still interested!

Thanks @Quiteña! I want to do all of the interviews before deciding, but there have been some schools that post-interview I don't believe are as of good of a fit for me compared to others. 

I'm very confused about what's happening with WCM IMP..  Has anyone in this forum actually received an acceptance for IMP? Trying to determine if the one acceptance from IMP was a troll or not lol. Because it seems like most of the acceptances have been for BCMB. Over at the Neuro PhD discussion they think the one neuroscience person was a troll.

Edited by IgGradschool

1 hour ago, IgGradschool said:

I'm very confused about what's happening with WCM IMP..  Has anyone in this forum actually received an acceptance for IMP? Trying to determine if the one acceptance from IMP was a troll or not lol. Because it seems like most of the acceptances have been for BCMB. Over at the Neuro PhD discussion they think the one neuroscience person was a troll.

I mean if it helps I got rejected today, no interview though

17 hours ago, IgGradschool said:

Nothing yet ?

1 hour ago, BiomedPhd said:

BCMB - Do they send out acceptances to everyone at the same time? Because people from both slots got acceptance emails. I interviewed and haven't received anything, does that mean it's a reject?

I was wondering the same. I thought my interview went well (2/4 faculty said they want me in their lab). But I haven't heard anything from them.