2021 Cycle

cec2021

2 hours ago, SleeplessInSomewhere said:

It seems that a lot of programs who didn't do interviews in the past are opting to do so this cycle. It is probably because of the high number of applicants and the need to find an additional way to filter down the candidates.

I've had three interviews so far and supposed to have a fourth this week, so I'll mention some of the common questions that came up:

1) In a 20 minute interview with four faculty members, I was asked the following:

- Why do you want to do a PhD in Sociology?

- Why do you want to do a PhD in Sociology at this department?

- What characteristics should a graduate student have?

- There was also a fourth question but I can't remember it...

I answered the above in 7-10 minutes so we had about ten minutes left for me to ask any questions. As I'm switching from another social science discipline, I had to also justify that switch and how my previous education would complement my upcoming training as a sociologist. I familiarized myself with the department faculty, the graduate student handbook, the facilities on campus and gave a specific answer about why I wanted that particular department.

I do suggest having questions prepared from your side so it isn't an awkward ten minutes and so they don't end the conversation early because you don't have any questions. Do your homework, study their website, their graduate student handbook, their faculty profiles - come with specific questions so they know you're keen and committed. I asked about resources (facilities, workshops, centre affiliations etc), and the general stages of progression through the PhD.

2) In another interview that was more casual (lasted about 45 mins), the faculty member referred to my CV and SOP to ask for more details about my past research and work experience and how it can tie into my work as a doctoral student. We found that there was a lot of overlap in our interests so the conversation kind of carried itself. For this call I also came prepared with questions, so it was a back and forth type of conversation rather than a formal interview.

3) In a fifteen minute interview with four faculty members, the committee had emailed me the questions prior to the interview and asked me to come prepared and to be concise in my responses.

- What is your anticipated dissertation project?

- What is the importance of your project for the field?

- Why would this university be a good fit for you?

- Talk about something you are most proud of accomplishing, or an academic or personal challenge you faced, how you handled the situation, and what you learned from it. 

Key tips from my experience so far:

Be confident and friendly. Smile, sound enthusiastic. They are judging your character as well as your intellect.

If it's a video call, choose a place that is presentable, and look presentable. Your space should be tidy and you should dress formally (blazer, nice blouse, etc)

Log in to the call at least one minute before. They are often doing back to back interviews so it's your time that is lost if you are late. Check your Internet connection and so on beforehand so you don't have any glitches.

Know your proposed dissertation project well. Practice if you need to, so you know how to intend to speak about it briefly. What is it, what's its importance, what methodology do you have in mind, and whose expertise will you draw on to conduct it?

If they share names of the committee members with you prior, get to know their profiles and their areas of research so you can find relevant topics of conversation and so you have an idea of what pikes their interest.

If they ask you any questions similar to the one above about personal challenges, don't make them too personal. I still think this is kind of a trick question, so you have to find a balance between sharing a personal challenge that is 'admirable' and 'inspiring' but at the same time not something you should only be sharing with your therapist - respectfully. I think it's also useful to try and tie in whatever personal challenge you faced to your current desire to become a sociologist/study the area that you want to study, and how that challenge motivated you to pursue it.

If anyone has any other advice to share/questions they were asked, please do post.

Good luck to everyone!!

Hey! Thanks for all that info, it's really helpful. Where have you been interviewed/where did you apply to?

2 hours ago, SleeplessInSomewhere said:

It seems that a lot of programs who didn't do interviews in the past are opting to do so this cycle. It is probably because of the high number of applicants and the need to find an additional way to filter down the candidates.

I've had three interviews so far and supposed to have a fourth this week, so I'll mention some of the common questions that came up:

1) In a 20 minute interview with four faculty members, I was asked the following:

- Why do you want to do a PhD in Sociology?

- Why do you want to do a PhD in Sociology at this department?

- What characteristics should a graduate student have?

- There was also a fourth question but I can't remember it...

I answered the above in 7-10 minutes so we had about ten minutes left for me to ask any questions. As I'm switching from another social science discipline, I had to also justify that switch and how my previous education would complement my upcoming training as a sociologist. I familiarized myself with the department faculty, the graduate student handbook, the facilities on campus and gave a specific answer about why I wanted that particular department.

I do suggest having questions prepared from your side so it isn't an awkward ten minutes and so they don't end the conversation early because you don't have any questions. Do your homework, study their website, their graduate student handbook, their faculty profiles - come with specific questions so they know you're keen and committed. I asked about resources (facilities, workshops, centre affiliations etc), and the general stages of progression through the PhD.

2) In another interview that was more casual (lasted about 45 mins), the faculty member referred to my CV and SOP to ask for more details about my past research and work experience and how it can tie into my work as a doctoral student. We found that there was a lot of overlap in our interests so the conversation kind of carried itself. For this call I also came prepared with questions, so it was a back and forth type of conversation rather than a formal interview.

3) In a fifteen minute interview with four faculty members, the committee had emailed me the questions prior to the interview and asked me to come prepared and to be concise in my responses.

- What is your anticipated dissertation project?

- What is the importance of your project for the field?

- Why would this university be a good fit for you?

- Talk about something you are most proud of accomplishing, or an academic or personal challenge you faced, how you handled the situation, and what you learned from it. 

Key tips from my experience so far:

Be confident and friendly. Smile, sound enthusiastic. They are judging your character as well as your intellect.

If it's a video call, choose a place that is presentable, and look presentable. Your space should be tidy and you should dress formally (blazer, nice blouse, etc)

Log in to the call at least one minute before. They are often doing back to back interviews so it's your time that is lost if you are late. Check your Internet connection and so on beforehand so you don't have any glitches.

Know your proposed dissertation project well. Practice if you need to, so you know how to intend to speak about it briefly. What is it, what's its importance, what methodology do you have in mind, and whose expertise will you draw on to conduct it?

If they share names of the committee members with you prior, get to know their profiles and their areas of research so you can find relevant topics of conversation and so you have an idea of what pikes their interest.

If they ask you any questions similar to the one above about personal challenges, don't make them too personal. I still think this is kind of a trick question, so you have to find a balance between sharing a personal challenge that is 'admirable' and 'inspiring' but at the same time not something you should only be sharing with your therapist - respectfully. I think it's also useful to try and tie in whatever personal challenge you faced to your current desire to become a sociologist/study the area that you want to study, and how that challenge motivated you to pursue it.

If anyone has any other advice to share/questions they were asked, please do post.

Good luck to everyone!!

Thank you so much this is so helpful!! If they did not offer any details (e.g. who will be on the call), it's probably not a good idea to email to ask anything is it?

Hey there seems to be two posts about a rejection from Minnesota, is that anyone here? I haven't gotten anything either way on my MN app, so seems weird to me to have only rejections being posted.

28 minutes ago, macska said:

Hey there seems to be two posts about a rejection from Minnesota, is that anyone here? I haven't gotten anything either way on my MN app, so seems weird to me to have only rejections being posted.

Didn't post on the results page but I received a rejection from Minnesota too. It said there were 120 applicants for very few seats. If you haven't heard back, maybe it's a good thing? Perhaps, you made it to the shortlist?

Also, are you from a demography background? With the merger with the population center, I had to force my research into a demographic methods-friendly agenda which probably didn't fit well hence the rejection.. Just thinking out loud.. 

Edited by joona

12 minutes ago, joona said:

Didn't post on the results page but I received a rejection from Minnesota too. It said there were 120 applicants for very few seats. If you haven't heard back, maybe it's a good thing? Perhaps, you made it to the shortlist?

Also, are you from a demography background? With the merger with the population center, I had to force my research into a demographic methods-friendly agenda which probably didn't fit well hence the rejection.. Just thinking out loud.. 

I have my BA and MA in Economics, and have worked with a demographer during my years as an RA, so I'm hoping that not hearing back yet is a good sign for me. I haven't heard from any programs yet, actually, which is really screwing with my anxiety... especially programs I've seen results posted for already.

Sorry to hear you were rejected, I'm crossing my fingers for you for other applications!

8 minutes ago, joona said:

Sorry to hear that you also got a rejection, that's definitely not good news ? Hoping you get some good news soon to make up for it! From what I've seen of previous years and other schools, usually if results all don't come out at the same time, then acceptances are generally released first, so that's why originally I thought it was odd to see the posts.

I actually had thought that I didn't have a super great shot because I don't have a demography or sociology background. My MA was in International Relations and my research interests are primarily are North/South international tourism, which I definitely had to refocus a bit when they announced the merger. I guess I'll try not to read too much into it until I hear, but definitely crossing my fingers.

1 hour ago, gforgreat said:

I haven't heard from any programs yet either, and it really is making me nervous.

I'm already contemplating what I would do if I fail this round lol

I'm right there with you. But, it's not over until the last bird sings. Considering a MS from my undergrad if I don't get in this cycle. 

Soooo...

I've come up with a list of programs and what their application deadlines were...

No idea if there is a correlation between the application deadline and the time they usually reach out to the shortlist... My guess is that those whose deadlines were in January probably won't be getting back to us before mid-Feb, at least.

But, please feel free to build on this list!

December 1 deadline:

University of Chicago - currently conducting interviews

University of Illinois Urbana Champaign - finished interviews, extended offers

Rutgers - finished interviews, offers to be extended first week of Feb

UT Austin - no updates

UCLA - acceptances sent out

December 2 deadline:

Stanford - no updates

December 15 deadline:

Harvard - no updates

CUNY GC - interviews held this week

Jan 2 deadline:

Yale - no updates

Jan 4 deadline:

NYU - no updates

New School for Social Research - no updates

Jan 5 deadline:

Arizona State University - acceptances and rejections sent out

Please add to this list!

I have also taken the liberty of emailing UT Austin asking for a tentative date of when we should expect to hear back, as well as whether the department intends to conduct interviews this year.

Anyone want to take one for the team and do the same with Stanford/any of the remaining schools so we have an idea of what to expect? :)) please, pretty please?

Edited by SleeplessInSomewhere

I added to the list with some info from this forum this year and in past years. 

December 1 deadline:

University of Chicago - currently conducting interviews

University of Illinois Urbana Champaign - finished interviews, extended offers

Rutgers - finished interviews, offers to be extended first week of Feb

UT Austin - no updates (usually sends out acceptances on Jan 22 or Jan 25, last year was abnormality with acceptances in early  Feb) 

UCLA - acceptances sent out

December 2 deadline:

Stanford - no updates

December 15 deadline:

Harvard - no updates

CUNY GC - interviews held this week

UNC- some acceptances have gone out. I haven't gotten an email and portal hasn't changed, so I'm guessing rejection is coming, but hasn't been sent yet. 

Emory- no news (usually sends acceptances end January, beginning of FEb)

Jan 2 deadline:

Yale - no updates

Jan 4 deadline:

NYU - no updates

New School for Social Research - no updates

Jan 5 deadline:

Arizona State University - acceptances and rejections sent out

Please add to this list!

On 1/19/2021 at 5:26 PM, socszn_28 said:

I didn't post it but also got an interview email from a POI. I didn't realize there would be interviews at all for the programs I applied to be honest and am feeling very unprepared. If anyone has interview tips I would appreciate! 

Congrats on the interview! Had you previously chatted with any of your POIs? I haven't heard anything this week, but I did have a couple Zoom sessions back in the fall with my target advisor... wondering if those had any bearing on interview decisions, or if it's a bit of wishful thinking. 

3 minutes ago, findsyouwell said:

Congrats on the interview! Had you previously chatted with any of your POIs? I haven't heard anything this week, but I did have a couple Zoom sessions back in the fall with my target advisor... wondering if those had any bearing on interview decisions, or if it's a bit of wishful thinking. 

Thank you, I had not previously chatted to any POIs. They do seem to be staggering the email notices though so don’t be too worried if you haven’t been contacted yet!

Any suggestions for how to get to a webpage with application status for schools that use applyweb? For UT, the apply Texas page is very clear about my application (in review), but all I can find on applyweb is the receipt of submission.

Random question, but do y'all believe that next cycle will be more competitive, assuming that we will recover from COVID? More programs will accept more students, but more students will apply...? I tend to overthink, so I'm already trying to make a plan B. 

3 hours ago, Ami said:

Has anyone heard from Boston College or Northeastern yet? Thanks!

I have applied to those two, and no updates yet. I think that from the previous record BC typically send out acceptance letters at the very end of January, while Northeastern conducts interview around late January.

I also did the interview earlier today with my POI in UC Irvine, who said that it was his mistake for the late interview. It was very chill, chit-chatting about weather in Asia and the US, and most of the time it was me asking questions about the program rather than being asked.

8 hours ago, tsengch77 said:

I have applied to those two, and no updates yet. I think that from the previous record BC typically send out acceptance letters at the very end of January, while Northeastern conducts interview around late January.

I also did the interview earlier today with my POI in UC Irvine, who said that it was his mistake for the late interview. It was very chill, chit-chatting about weather in Asia and the US, and most of the time it was me asking questions about the program rather than being asked.

Congrats on the UC Irvine interview, that’s sounds like a great exchange!

And thanks for sharing. It is a little early for BC yet but in the past it seems that Northeastern sent invites for their pre-admission events the week of MLK Day, so I thought there might be some movement last week. I hope we both get good news this week!