2021 Cycle

cec2021

1 hour ago, cec2021 said:

Hey y'all. I officially made my decision and let the schools know. It was scary, but feels good now to know where I will be next year. Anyone else totally wrapped up their cycle? Are y'all excited? Nervous? 

Still waiting on two decisions, and on three waitlists ? but at least it won't be too much longer before decisions have to be made.

Congratulations on your acceptance(s) and making your decision! I hope it's a great fit, and I know you've got an amazing future ahead of you ☺️

2 hours ago, cec2021 said:

Hey y'all. I officially made my decision and let the schools know. It was scary, but feels good now to know where I will be next year. Anyone else totally wrapped up their cycle? Are y'all excited? Nervous? 

Congrats!! Hope it's a fantastic fit! Best of luck in your next chapter

Where were you accepted to & where did you decide to go???

37 minutes ago, socigrad said:

Congrats!! Hope it's a fantastic fit! Best of luck in your next chapter

Where were you accepted to & where did you decide to go???

Thanks! I think it really will be.

I was accepted to UT, UNC, and Emory and will be attending UT Austin. UT was by far the best research fit for me, with a research program focusing on exactly what I want to study. I was offered an RAship with the program and good recruitment funding increases over their standard offer. I will work twice as many hour than at Emory for only a bit more money, but I am very excited, and will make time for my classes and own research. 

4 hours ago, cec2021 said:

Not yet...waiting on funding to come through from Rutgers and have one more school I'm waiting to hear back from. Nervous and would like to wrap things up ASAP but there are no updates so it sucks

Hi guys! I would like a little advice. I only got into one PhD program but I did get into one fully funded masters. Should I do my masters before my PhD so I can be a competitive candidate in two years when everything will probably have calmed down from COVID? Or should I take the PhD even if it’s a little lower in rank? What would you do??

16 hours ago, nicolesaparty said:

Hi guys! I would like a little advice. I only got into one PhD program but I did get into one fully funded masters. Should I do my masters before my PhD so I can be a competitive candidate in two years when everything will probably have calmed down from COVID? Or should I take the PhD even if it’s a little lower in rank? What would you do??

Similar question, only my program is ranked fairly highly but doesn't teach/research the questions I'm most interested in. In any other year, I would take that spot in a second – after this round of admissions, though, I'm tempted to try again after my (fully funded) Master's and try again for the PhD programs I'm REALLY passionate about.

2 hours ago, cranky said:

Similar question, only my program is ranked fairly highly but doesn't teach/research the questions I'm most interested in. In any other year, I would take that spot in a second – after this round of admissions, though, I'm tempted to try again after my (fully funded) Master's and try again for the PhD programs I'm REALLY passionate about.

I definitely don’t think you should get a PhD where they don’t even focus on your field ? who’d be your advisor who’d help you?? Who would you get your connections from? Seems connections are v important in academia...just things to think about! Besides, us having a fully funded masters is apparently rare! We should partake ?

21 hours ago, nicolesaparty said:

I would look at your ability to connect with faculty. And compare the 2 institutions on faculty mentorship and publication ability, tbh. If you're more likely to have meaningful relationships with faculty at the MA program, go there! 

On 3/9/2021 at 7:38 PM, aebarton said:

Anyone heard anything from colorado state? I emailed program head two weeks ago to ask approx date we would receive notification and got no response. 

EDIT: Sorry, I misread this and my original reply was about University of Colorado!

Edited by JimmyR
Made a mistake

16 hours ago, samuelmsafford said:

For those of you who have been accepted and committed to a program (or are pretty certain where they will) that are still looking at this thread, I have two questions:

1) Where are you going to attend?

2) Do you know how large your cohort will be?

1) I will be attending Baylor University

2) My cohort will have five people total

On 3/25/2021 at 1:51 PM, samuelmsafford said:

For those of you who have been accepted and committed to a program (or are pretty certain where they will) that are still looking at this thread, I have two questions:

1) Where are you going to attend?

2) Do you know how large your cohort will be?

I'll be attending Duke University! Just sent in my notification officially this morning, sending rejections to the other places I was accepted/waitlisted at tonight.

Not sure how large the cohort will be (I know of at least 2 other people that have accepted so far but not sure about the others) but they estimated it would be 6-8 people.

I just wanted to update y'all on a stat I learned at the UT Austin admitted students day. Their normal acceptance rate is 20%. Because of increased apps and a decrease in the number of seats they were allowed to offer, this year it was 5.7 percent. It really was a weird tough cycle. 

On the off chance that this is of interest to anyone - Boston College held an info session for MA admits this week and mentioned that the incoming PhD cohort is 5 people. (Congrats to whoever you are!)

Also they are now offering an Advanced Quantitative Certificate, which consists of 5 stats courses. It's so new it's not on the website yet. MA is not funded, though.