2021 Cycle

cec2021

Hi! Congrats to the Emory admits that were notified today. I was not one of them, but I was at the recruitment weekend. If any attendees of the recruitment weekend want to stay in touch, DM me or reply here or something. Everyone was really nice and cool and I would love to hear where you end up. 

1 hour ago, socapp21 said:

Is anyone who has been accepted to UChicago considering rejecting the offer? Or if you're opting out of the waitlist because of other acceptances?

I'm considering rejecting, I think it's most likely that I will reject.

Good luck!!

18 hours ago, steinein said:

UChicago CHSS Update: They have admitted only 1 applicant, with 5 on the wait list.

Hey, thanks a lot for the update! I received a referral to MAPSS for both my applications around the same time you got that update in your portal by mistake. Already have a Master's from the UK, but guess that doesn't cut it. 

All that aside though, pat yourself on the back for making it to only 5 on the waitlist, and keep your hopes up! May good news arrive for you soon.

3 minutes ago, glee1111 said:

I saw a couple of rejections from Cornell has anyone been accepted?

In previous years they've called admitted students and sent out acceptances after their first round of rejections. Last year they also seemed to have done a week or two of rolling rejections, instead of sending them out at once.

That said, if you look at the history of results for Cornell across the years, there doesn't seem to be a consistent order that they reject/admit/waitlist. Crossing my fingers to get a call from Ithaca, NY in the near future though!

I saw that UC Irvine just sent out a round of rejections. And a few weeks ago, they sent out a round of acceptances.

I haven't heard anything about me being accepted, rejected, or waitlisted. Anyone in the same boat as I am? And any inkling as to what our status could be?

35 minutes ago, NeckPocket said:

I saw that UC Irvine just sent out a round of rejections. And a few weeks ago, they sent out a round of acceptances.

I haven't heard anything about me being accepted, rejected, or waitlisted. Anyone in the same boat as I am? And any inkling as to what our status could be?

I haven't heard anything from UCI as well. But I seriously doubt I'll get an offer. I am guessing my application is just sitting in a no pile atm.

2 minutes ago, samuelmsafford said:

My worry seeing the rolling Cornell rejections is that they're going alphabetically lol. If anyone's already been rejected, is your last name early in the alphabet? ?

My friend with last name starining in Z has just received the rejection...

In case anyone else has been waiting on Oregon -- I just received this in an email from the DGS.

"Unfortunately, due to unexpected cuts to our funding for incoming students next year, we have made the difficult decision not to admit any new students for Fall 2021."

Quite a bummer. 

20 minutes ago, JimmyR said:

In case anyone else has been waiting on Oregon -- I just received this in an email from the DGS.

"Unfortunately, due to unexpected cuts to our funding for incoming students next year, we have made the difficult decision not to admit any new students for Fall 2021."

Quite a bummer. 

I didn't apply to UO, but I would be pretty upset if I was one of the applicants. They made people spend their time, energy, and money, just to give this super late notice??

10 minutes ago, gforgreat said:

I didn't apply to UO, but I would be pretty upset if I was one of the applicants. They made people spend their time, energy, and money, just to give this super late notice??

Yeah, the timing is very disappointing. They are refunding application fees, and say they will facilitate rolling applications into 2022 for anyone that wants to wait another year. 

11 minutes ago, gforgreat said:

Just now, JimmyR said:

Yeah, the timing is very disappointing. They are refunding application fees, and say they will facilitate rolling applications into 2022 for anyone that wants to wait another year. 

yeah it still is super disappointing though. I figured the departments may have been more aware of their budgeting situation before now. Makes me wonder if the university cut some more out of social sciences budgets. 

Just now, thenerdysociologist said:

yeah it still is super disappointing though. I figured the departments may have been more aware of their budgeting situation before now. Makes me wonder if the university cut some more out of social sciences budgets. 

Ditto on this! I would be quite upset and I'm thinking of all of those who applied to programs only to receive these late notices on admission suspensions. I had originally looked at UC-Boulder (created a portal account and filled out the basics) and got notified early December that they made the tough decision to suspend admissions for this cycle--that would be the latest any of them should have waited to make that call. 

I understand some situations can arise in Higher Ed with budgets and such, but that's still some bullshit. I am glad UO is taking some steps to rectify this decision for applicants, but that still might have taken away from students who would have otherwise put that money/energy towards applying to another program. I know for me, I had a limited budget for app fees, and I imagine others might have had similar situations.