2021 Cycle

cec2021

6 minutes ago, socsci14 said:

A note of encouragement:

My undergrad sociology mentor recently told me they got into 2 out of the 10 schools they applied to. Another undergrad mentor in a related field got into 1 PhD program, and now they both teach at an R1. These are two of the smartest people I've ever met, and they are both extremely successful academics. I was shocked when I first heard they had faced so many rejections- it made me realize that after a certain point, it's a numbers game. No matter how many years of research experience, degrees, or publications you have, so much of the admissions process comes down to luck (not to say that working hard doesn't matter, just that there are no guarantees despite how hard you work). It's such a difficult feeling to manage when you have already done everything you can and now your fate is in someone else's hands. But as the second mentor has been saying to me for the past few months, "don't worry about how many acceptances you get, you only need one because you can only go to one.

In case you or anyone else needs to hear this, your value as a person, aptitude for sociology, or potential for academic life have nothing to do with how many programs admit you. You are worth way more than your work. 

Wish I could save this somewhere. I absolutely resonate with your words! It's beyond heartwarming to be hearing things like this during such a hard time. I have yet to hear good news from any school to be quite honest here... but I've been telling myself that it is way too early to give up. I constantly ask myself why I embarked on this journey and knowing the answer by heart and truly believing in this purpose help me looking forward. 

Thanks again for sharing such kind words!!

10 minutes ago, wilderivywander said:I'm just going to hop on the encouragement gravy train and say that you are definitely entitled to feel however you want to feel about this cycle AND ALSO remember that YOU are the success, the secret sauce and the determining WOW/IT factor in your career. I know as aspiring sociologists we look a lot at structural/societal factors and constraints, but I just want to remind you of your individual agency and no matter where you end up, as long as you don't lose sight of who you are, what you are capable of and your personal vision for your career, I truly and totally believe you will be a smashing success (whatever you define success as). This cycle definitely sucks, and it is painful to apply to so many places and receive so little in return and I do believe in processing our feelings (it's your admissions cycle and you can cry if you want to!). But I also hope that when the pain has cleared from your eyes, you remember everything that you bring to the field. In this journey, you are the hero, and you're going to make the most of every opportunity that comes your way, rejection be damned. 

10 minutes ago, wilderivywander said:

I'm just going to hop on the encouragement gravy train and say that you are definitely entitled to feel however you want to feel about this cycle AND ALSO remember that YOU are the success, the secret sauce and the determining WOW/IT factor in your career. I know as aspiring sociologists we look a lot at structural/societal factors and constraints, but I just want to remind you of your individual agency and no matter where you end up, as long as you don't lose sight of who you are, what you are capable of and your personal vision for your career, I truly and totally believe you will be a smashing success (whatever you define success as). This cycle definitely sucks, and it is painful to apply to so many places and receive so little in return and I do believe in processing our feelings (it's your admissions cycle and you can cry if you want to!). But I also hope that when the pain has cleared from your eyes, you remember everything that you bring to the field. In this journey, you are the hero, and you're going to make the most of every opportunity that comes your way, rejection be damned. 

UM YES THE FIRST PART. it should definitely be okay to be heartbroken, especially during this crazy cycle! And it definitely is hard as an academic to separate yourself from your successes in academia. EVEN IF YOU DONT HAVE AN ACCEPTANCE, it doesn’t mean anything about YOU! And if you do have an acceptance but it’s not your top choice, same freaking thing. We’re all on here checking on our futures, we all care, we’re all intelligent, and it truly is their loss. 

On 2/14/2021 at 1:24 AM, SleeplessInSomewhere said:

In case anyone is interested the tweet is here https://twitter.com/andsmi437/status/1360645861726973954?s=19

I just confirmed it on Twitter.  I know they are reserving the rejection letter for those of us who have not been informed.  Anyways whatever the case....I will keep believing and trying.

On 2/14/2021 at 7:53 AM, Ami said:

Thanks for replying. I’m sorry that you’re in the same boat but it’s nice to know that I’m not the only one!

My best guess at this point (based on nothing but posts on this website lol), is that I’m pretty far down the waitlist and might get a spot in the masters program. But who knows, logic doesn’t seem to apply to any aspect of this process. Good luck to you!!

Yo okay so BC responded: 

“Thanks for asking. Our review process consists of two steps, one for Ph.D. and one for MA admissions. Unfortunately, you do not make the Ph.D. cut but we think you are a perfect candidate for MA, so we're now reviewing your application for MA. The decision should be made by the end of this month. Hope this answers your question!”

2 hours ago, TKAGOBOY said:

I just confirmed it on Twitter.  I know they are reserving the rejection letter for those of us who have not been informed.  Anyways whatever the case....I will keep believing and trying.

Do you happen to know if anyone has been accepted to UIOWA? One of my top choices so still holding out hope. 

2 hours ago, aebarton said:

Yo okay so BC responded: 

“Thanks for asking. Our review process consists of two steps, one for Ph.D. and one for MA admissions. Unfortunately, you do not make the Ph.D. cut but we think you are a perfect candidate for MA, so we're now reviewing your application for MA. The decision should be made by the end of this month. Hope this answers your question!”

I would do their MA but I already know it’s not going to be funded at all ?

3 hours ago, aebarton said:

Yo okay so BC responded: 

Thanks for sharing this!! And ditto on the funding issue @nicolesaparty 

Also, I find the language of their reply weirdly unprofessional... “you do not make the cut”?? And you’re “a perfect candidate” for the MA but your app is still being reviewed for MA... I dunno. Nice to receive a quick and helpful response though, guess I’m just salty from the rejection! 

12 minutes ago, Ami said:

Thanks for sharing this!! And ditto on the funding issue @nicolesaparty 

Also, I find the language of their reply weirdly unprofessional... “you do not make the cut”?? And you’re “a perfect candidate” for the MA but your app is still being reviewed for MA... I dunno. Nice to receive a quick and helpful response though, guess I’m just salty from the rejection! 

The entire message feels contradictory and I won’t get my hopes up for MA admission until it’s in my inbox tbh. I am applying with a Master’s in a related field, so I’m a little frustrated. I knew a second one was a possibility, but $$$$

Hi everyone, does anyone know anything about NYU? I've suddenly seen two acceptances in the results page, my portal has not updated and according to other years it seems like it's early to release decisions, but I'm all worried now.

Good luck to all!

On 1/27/2021 at 2:08 PM, AwesomeWilliam said:

Anyone applied to U of Oregon as well?

I’m wondering when we might hear updates. Perhaps I’ll email them later.

I did! Have not heard anything, and will post here when I do. Best of luck to you! 

Y'ALLL!!!! These sociology admissions committees woke up today and chose....VIOLENCE ??. I'm laughing but I'm crying on the inside. I hope people in the thread are holding on to hope in the midst of mass rejections. This is tough, but we are tougher. And I promise I'm not always this hunky dory happy and optimistic lol. I'm not detached from reality. I actually woke up this morning in a very weird emotional state. Tears, questions and all. But I feel compelled to hope against hope because I truly believe that things work out exactly as they need to in the end. So I'm signing off for the day, but I just wanted to share that today happened, it was hard for some of us, but tomorrow is a new day! Even if it doesn't happen for me, I most certainly hope that pleasant surprises in this admission cycle happen for someone in this thread that is still hoping against hope ❤️

1 hour ago, iamlia said:

Hi everyone, does anyone know anything about NYU? I've suddenly seen two acceptances in the results page, my portal has not updated and according to other years it seems like it's early to release decisions, but I'm all worried now.

Good luck to all!

I am also waiting on NYU. I emailed about a week ago and they said decisions could be announced "as late as mid-February." Honestly, NYU is a reach for me, and probably also not the best fit. Best of luck to you!

Also, I wish these programs could tell us WHY we were rejected. Was my GPA too low? Were my GRE scores just not good enough? Was my SOP terrible? They always say its the "fit" and maybe they are right, but the "fit" isn't the only reason why they would accept people so it can't be the only reason they reject others. Also what do they mean by "fit"? Because when I was going through the profiles, CVs, and research works of the faculties I want to work with, I was confident that I would be a great student for those faculties. I want to know these reasons so I know which programs to reapply next year and prepare my application materials more appropriately.

I'm venting, because after 7th implicit/unspoken rejection, I'm am going nuts.

1 minute ago, gforgreat said:

Also, I wish these programs could tell us WHY we were rejected. Was my GPA too low? Were my GRE scores just not good enough? Was my SOP terrible? They always say its the "fit" and maybe they are right, but the "fit" isn't the only reason why they would accept people so it can't be the only reason they reject others. Also what do they mean by "fit"? Because when I was going through the profiles, CVs, and research works of the faculties I want to work with, I was confident that I would be a great student for those faculties. I want to know these reasons so I know which programs to reapply next year and prepare my application materials more appropriately.

I'm venting, because after 7th implicit/unspoken rejection, I'm am going nuts.

So I've also been feeling this way this past week. I spent so much time (like we all did) researching programs to find the good fits (academic and culture), focused in on faculty, extra-curriculars/cool programs/centers, current grad students and then some to figure out where the best fits were. My one mentor/letter writer affirmed my program list too. In the end, it's just a shot in the dark I feel like: the POI maybe can't take me on or weren't as inspired by my topic/interest, maybe because I didn't submit GRE (even though it was optional) they didn't want to run the risk, or I don't have a strong enough sociology background (not explicitly at least). 

Either way, I keep telling myself I'm a strong candidate even in the face of all this rejection, but I'm right there with you! I really want to know if there was something specific that I could control that would have changed things at all or make a difference next cycle if I were to reapply. I imagine they don't have the bandwidth to offer that feedback to everyone when they send out rejections, but maybe if contacted have some general notes? I'm debating on it myself, but with COVID and as a current professor, I know this semester is already dragging so I feel like I'm "bothering" them.