2021 Cycle

cec2021

5 minutes ago, gforgreat said:

I applied to Columbia's MA sociology program and haven't heard back from them. I know they paused their PhD, but the MA program remained open.. now i'm wondering if I was wrong? Did anyone else apply to Columbia's MA program?

It's on my backup to hit submit on if I don't get an acceptance by the end of February, but I'm sure you'd hear back after their deadline in March? They are definitely still taking applicants.

Willing to start a support group for those rejected by Indiana or really anyone who didn't get into their top choice. It was tough to read the email but deep down I knew it was coming, the competition was too fierce for me to stand a chance this cycle. I know I'm smart and capable, and I know all of you are too so on that note I'm going to share a tweet I saw this morning on twitter that's been helping me cope (and maybe it'll help you too)

"This is a brutal doctoral admissions season. We are turning away brilliant scholars with records of inspiring work because universities are in a state of manufactured scarcity and mismanaged uncertainty. The loss is academia's which would be a far better place with these scholars" - @ananyaUCLA

Maybe we didn't get in where we wanted, but it's not a reflection of us or our potential. I needed that reminder this morning when I read that IU rejection. 

Sending out lots of abundance that we all get some closure and most of all good news soon! Feel free to reach out if you need someone to vent to or just chat!

19 minutes ago, milahwatts said:

Anyone else rejected from GMUs PhD Sociology Program but accepted into their Masters Program?

Also, I didn’t even apply to the Masters program

Not me, but GMU historically has accepted some applicants who applied for PhD program into their Masters program.

The waiting is killing me, largely because it's so unclear to me when to hear back from schools! I was fully prepared to wait until March, but having had a few places reach out in January has me constantly refreshing my email !

Does anyone know when the following schools are planning to (or when they historically have) made initial contact with candidates, whether it be for  an interview or for an acceptance?

NYU Sociology

USC Sociology

Harvard Sociology and Social Policy

Kellogg (NW) Management, Organizations, and Sociology

Brandeis Social Policy

1 hour ago, gforgreat said:

I knew i was rejected from UW-Madison because of the update on the portal, but I just received an official rejection letter via email. Kinda wanted the portal to be wrong, but I guess I am REJECTED REJECTED lol

Sorry to hear about the rejection, I hope you hear good news from other programs!

5 hours ago, gforgreat said:

I knew i was rejected from UW-Madison because of the update on the portal, but I just received an official rejection letter via email. Kinda wanted the portal to be wrong, but I guess I am REJECTED REJECTED lol

Same here. Wondering if I'm the only person here with absolutely no acceptance yet... 

9 minutes ago, justanothercookie said:

Same here. Wondering if I'm the only person here with absolutely no acceptance yet... 

No worries we are in the same boat.

I’m down to three applications and I just hope I’ll have one acceptance..the waiting game is killing me.

10 minutes ago, justanothercookie said:

No solid acceptances here, just a waitlist and an interview/virtual visit coming up. So on the one hand, those feel good, but I'm still playing the same waiting game. And there's so many schools who have set up interviews/admitted some people that I'm assuming I've been rejected from but are still pending. This whole waiting game is getting pretty exhausting!

10 minutes ago, justanothercookie said:

That's how I felt, and I was on the verge of looking for a job.

For the schools that haven't sent out official rejection or waitlist emails to applicants, I want to believe that they have their own discreet waitlist going on. So rather than thinking I was flat out rejected, I'm trying to think that I made it to the waitlist thus I still have hope. Idk how true this is, but it makes me less depressed lol

49 minutes ago, AwesomeWilliam said:

No worries we are in the same boat.

I’m down to three applications and I just hope I’ll have one acceptance..the waiting game is killing me.

Hopefully you both hear from your programs soon with good news! Waiting it out is the worst part but keep your head up!

42 minutes ago, TKAGOBOY said:

Has University of Iowa suspended it's admission for this year.  Because the delay and no response from Graduate Studies Director is killing.  If you apply to UIOWA can you kindly signify let me know I am not alone

I highly doubt they would suspend it after already accepting applications and having people submit and pay fees... I applied, I haven't heard back but I also remember their deadline was rather late so perhaps this delay is normal

2 hours ago, SleeplessInSomewhere said:

Has anyone heard from CUNY? They were supposed to send out letters early this week and they still haven't...

I think schools in general are just too booked with all the things pouring on them. WashU was supposed to send out the results LAST WEEK (I know its gonna be a rejection for me) according to the graduate coordinator but still haven't heard anything from the.

Hello everyone, I just made a profile here and wanted to thank all of you for the helpful updates and kind words as we go through this phase together. I was wondering if anyone had heard back from McGill and Johns Hopkins. Also, is there anyone who has neither been accepted, waitlisted or rejected from University of Toronto ? My application status is still 'under review' and the grad coordinator hasn't replied. I am wondering if they have forgotten about my application lol

13 minutes ago, Qahwwaa said:

Hello everyone, I just made a profile here and wanted to thank all of you for the helpful updates and kind words as we go through this phase together. I was wondering if anyone had heard back from McGill and Johns Hopkins. Also, is there anyone who has neither been accepted, waitlisted or rejected from University of Toronto ? My application status is still 'under review' and the grad coordinator hasn't replied. I am wondering if they have forgotten about my application lol

I have not heard or seen anything about Johns Hopkins Sociology, but noticed other similar programs have been posted on the results page. My guess is they got bombarded with apps, and with their program already running small cohort-wise, it might be a harder decision cycle for them (I also applied but don't anticipate any acceptance due to competition).  I think that's what has slowed down so many programs- all the programs who didn't have a F'21 admissions cycle are now pushing even more applications their way and they're trying to strategize cohorts accordingly to fill spots offered (# of folks who accept offers and matriculate in). Sorry this isn't more helpful!

21 minutes ago, Qahwwaa said:

I've been waitlisted by UT and my portal also says under review

1 hour ago, Qahwwaa said:

Heya

Applied to Johns Hopkins but not expecting anything since they're probably going to admit around 4 people this year. But results were announced around 18-19th feb for the last few years so we still have a few days to go + pandemic related issues such as higher number of apps might also effect the timeline.. Either way, we still have a few days to go in my opinion..