2021 Cycle

cec2021

Does anyone know anything about UCI USC or UCBerkeley?

im pretty sure UCriverside isn’t going to say much until later.

but yeah those are the 4 schools I’m waiting for. I already got rejected by UCSD and PennState. I’m getting a bit numb officially by the rejections.

anyone hurting out there, just know you’re not alone ??

Has anyone else had an interview with the Minnesota Population Center for the UMN joint program? I know things are working a little differently with the joint program this year but I need to overanalyze, obviously ..... thank you very much in advance

Edited by donaldduckheim

28 minutes ago, super12345 said:

Claiming the Harvard acceptance! I'm honored, and a bit shocked. 

It seems that the people accepted to the standalone sociology program have all been notified, but that may not be true for the joint programs (Social Policy, etc.). 

Congratulations!! Did someone tell you that those applying to the standalone sociology have all been notified? You are the first and only one to post an acceptance this cycle so I would like to keep up hope lol

53 minutes ago, Sq1990 said:

Does anyone know anything about UCI USC or UCBerkeley?

This past weekend USC sent out acceptances. I'm not sure what that means for those of us who haven't heard anything...It's probably best not to assume anything.

What program at Berkeley did you apply to? I don't believe their sociology department was accepting applications this cycle.

6 minutes ago, PopStudies said:

This past weekend USC sent out acceptances. I'm not sure what that means for those of us who haven't heard anything...It's probably best not to assume anything.

What program at Berkeley did you apply to? I don't believe their sociology department was accepting applications this cycle.

For UCBerkeley, I applied to the demographics and sociology program

For USC, UCI, and UCriverside, I applied to their Sociology programs. 

I had heard USC’s SOCs program actually hadn’t announced anything and that it would do so during this week. But that was based on someone who posted a while back so it could be wrong info etc.

anyhoo, you’re right. My sis and all my mentors have told me that it ain’t over until end of March and even then you sometimes get emails from universities stating a spot opened up etc.

fingers crossed. ?????

2 minutes ago, Sq1990 said:

I had heard USC’s SOCs program actually hadn’t announced anything and that it would do so during this week. But that was based on someone who posted a while back so it could be wrong info etc.

anyhoo, you’re right. My sis and all my mentors have told me that it ain’t over until end of March and even then you sometimes get emails from universities stating a spot opened up etc.

fingers crossed. ?????

I was told that UCR's committee is still reviewing applications. They were supposed to be finished this week but who knows when we will actually find out. Best of luck! 

2 hours ago, ilovecats1997 said:

Congratulations!! Did someone tell you that those applying to the standalone sociology have all been notified? You are the first and only one to post an acceptance this cycle so I would like to keep up hope lol

I thought it was implied from my conversation, but I could have understood incorrectly. 

1 hour ago, Sq1990 said:

fingers crossed. ?????

My mentor told me pretty much the exact same thing today when I was telling her all of my plans for when I don't get in (I was very upbeat about it), the jobs I am applying for, and the extra programs I can submit applications for because they have later deadlines. She pretty much said that in two weeks we could be having a completely different conversation because I very well may get in somewhere. Just because this cycle is strange doesn't mean inevitable I won't get in though at times it may feel that way. I just happened to apply to programs that send out decisions a bit later so it feels weird when so many have heard from schools and I haven't gotten a decision since my first one over two weeks ago. 

The Berkeley demography department is so incredibly cool. My mentor went there and the set up of their program is what really drew me to them. 

With the weirdness of this cycle quite literally anything could happen. 

41 minutes ago, PopStudies said:

... She pretty much said that in two weeks we could be having a completely different conversation because I very well may get in somewhere. Just because this cycle is strange doesn't mean inevitable I won't get in though at times it may feel that way ...

This 100%! I scheduled a chat with one of my letter writers to discuss backup plans last Monday, then woke up to an interview request the following morning. You really never know! We just have to try our best to be patient, as hard as it may be. I've been doing my best to throw myself into work and research, but it's hard when my outstanding applications are living in my head rent free.

4 hours ago, donaldduckheim said:

Has anyone else had an interview with the Minnesota Population Center for the UMN joint program? I know things are working a little differently with the joint program this year but I need to overanalyze, obviously ..... thank you very much in advance

I did! :)

6 hours ago, super12345 said:

I thought it was implied from my conversation, but I could have understood incorrectly. 

Can you elaborate? What about the conversation gave you that impression? Was the conversation/notification over the phone rather than email?

Edited by SleeplessInSomewhere

15 hours ago, joona said:

Heya

Applied to Johns Hopkins but not expecting anything since they're probably going to admit around 4 people this year. But results were announced around 18-19th feb for the last few years so we still have a few days to go + pandemic related issues such as higher number of apps might also effect the timeline.. Either way, we still have a few days to go in my opinion.. 

16 hours ago, LMSoc said:

I have not heard or seen anything about Johns Hopkins Sociology, but noticed other similar programs have been posted on the results page. My guess is they got bombarded with apps, and with their program already running small cohort-wise, it might be a harder decision cycle for them (I also applied but don't anticipate any acceptance due to competition).  I think that's what has slowed down so many programs- all the programs who didn't have a F'21 admissions cycle are now pushing even more applications their way and they're trying to strategize cohorts accordingly to fill spots offered (# of folks who accept offers and matriculate in). Sorry this isn't more helpful!

Just checked results page and seems like someone's got an offer. I haven't heard from my POI at JHU at all, and as you both said, they anyway admit a very small cohort. Hope you both have better luck than mine :)

Hello all, I am waitlisted in UC San Diego. Is there anyone who has some insights or any kind of information about the likelihood that the waitlisted applicants are eventually admitted or rejected? So far, I only got waitlist status. This is why I feel a bit dumped. As you already know waiting process is really tiresome. So any kind of insight or insider information is very well appreciated. Best of luck to those who are still waiting....  

1 hour ago, Qahwwaa said:

Just checked results page and seems like someone's got an offer. I haven't heard from my POI at JHU at all, and as you both said, they anyway admit a very small cohort. Hope you both have better luck than mine :)

Well looks like there are at least two acceptances on results page now..

and I haven’t heard anything from JHU.

Guess I’m rejected ?

22 minutes ago, AwesomeWilliam said:

Guess I’m rejected ?

Confusing since I just now got an email from the academic coordinator at JHU that they plan to make decisions 'towards the end of February'. Maybe that's just for the rejects lol. 

23 minutes ago, Qahwwaa said:

Confusing since I just now got an email from the academic coordinator at JHU that they plan to make decisions 'towards the end of February'. Maybe that's just for the rejects lol. 

I will be patiently waiting for my rejection email or portal update at the end of the month lol. I really liked their program and kind of sweet to see that they're calling folks to share the news, but I knew from the start the chances of getting in where quite slim. Good luck to everyone else!

17 minutes ago, LMSoc said:

I will be patiently waiting for my rejection email or portal update at the end of the month lol. I really liked their program and kind of sweet to see that they're calling folks to share the news, but I knew from the start the chances of getting in where quite slim. Good luck to everyone else!

Same. Really amazing research on the Global South. Going to patiently go insane waiting for the email telling me how great my application was, but yeah.. nope. 

1 hour ago, AwesomeWilliam said:

Guess I’m rejected ?

Lol so that's like 2 out of the total of 3 admits at JHU this year.. 

Gearing up for rejection at this rate! I just hope it's swift like a band-aid :(

But also, @Qahwwaa why would the coordinator say end of Feb though. They aren't taking that many candidates for it to be in phases..strange