2021 Cycle

cec2021

10 hours ago, justanothercookie said:

Does anyone know if UCLA is done sending out acceptances? Seems like they have extended offers in several waves so far. 

Someone in this post said that he/she got accepted and his/her application was among the last batch of applications, so I assume that UCLA is done sending out acceptances. I am expecting a rejection letter in mid-February because the graduate director said that they are sending results in rolling.

10 minutes ago, centauri123 said:

The beginning of another long week, y'all! Hopefully this week brings some good news...though at this point, I'm just ready for ANY news. The wait is agonizing! 

Agreed! I’m just hoping for something now... Here’s to another week and hang in there, everyone! 

Hi all! 

So if we haven't received anything from Stanford yet .... does that mean we should just expect a rejection? Lol

Also, any updates from NYU or UMich? I also applied to USC but for the PhD in Population, Health and Place....anyone else?

Edited by StePhDen

I did so good this weekend with not compulsively checking email/portals/gradcafe, and here I am now feeling like a ball of anxiety waiting. This week alone will likely shave another year or two off my life from stress. 

I'm going to stress/cook bake later in the week and let myself watch pixar movies whenever I need to, how is everyone else taking care of themselves right now (as hard as it might be)?

9 minutes ago, LMSoc said:

I did so good this weekend with not compulsively checking email/portals/gradcafe, and here I am now feeling like a ball of anxiety waiting. This week alone will likely shave another year or two off my life from stress. 

I'm going to stress/cook bake later in the week and let myself watch pixar movies whenever I need to, how is everyone else taking care of themselves right now (as hard as it might be)?

I'm keeping busy with a research project that I'm doing for work, and Kindle books on the side... 

1 hour ago, StePhDen said:

Also, any updates from NYU or UMich? I also applied to USC but for the PhD in Population, Health and Place....anyone else?

I emailed Michigan last week. The grad coordinator said decisions should be out the 3rd week of Feb (next week).

5 minutes ago, Rémy888 said:

I thought USC should send out all the acceptances and rejections at the same time... but guess it’s not the case this cycle, more like they send results in a rolling basis.

Half of me wants to believe they're still possibly going to send acceptances, but I'm uncertain.

15 minutes ago, PopStudies said:

Half of me wants to believe they're still possibly going to send acceptances, but I'm uncertain.

Yea, I’m already looking for jobs.....Which 2 tracks did you choose? Mine is migration and culture, I submitted my application only 3 days before the deadline, now I’m highly suspicious I won’t even get a feedback from them. Based on the past résults page, it seems a lot of applicants don’t get a response 

1 hour ago, SleeplessInSomewhere said:

I'm keeping busy with a research project that I'm doing for work, and Kindle books on the side... 

I've been trying to keep busy with lecture prep and am actually excited my students have their first assignment due this week so I can jump into some grading as a distraction. I need to get back on my reading flow, but I find it hard to focus at times. My to read stack got really big in 2020 and I didn't even put a dent in it.

Wondering if anyone would be comfortable claiming the Indiana acceptance on the results page...and/or any intel you'd be willing to share. I know it's been posted that these next two weeks we should hear from them, but I'm trying to prepare myself as it's a top choice for me. 

4 hours ago, samuelmsafford said:

Sorry to hear that. I'm expecting one too, and the waiting is killing me. I hope you hear good news from other programs!

I have heard nothing from the sociology programs I applied to, but I did hear from a global studies program at Irvine and the journalism program at Columbia. Rejected from Irvine, and interviewed at Columbia. My primary goal is to get my Ph.D. in sociology, but a master's in journalism is just as good, really, and much less enigmatic for most people. 

3 hours ago, Rémy888 said:

Yea, I’m already looking for jobs.....Which 2 tracks did you choose? Mine is migration and culture, I submitted my application only 3 days before the deadline, now I’m highly suspicious I won’t even get a feedback from them. Based on the past résults page, it seems a lot of applicants don’t get a response 

I had an interview for a job last week, one today and two more later this week. Maybe I'll get lucky with a position. I chose Demography and Health & Medicine for my two tracks. Is the day you pay the app fee the same day it is submitted? If that's the case then I submitted it about 2 weeks before, but two of my recommendations came the day of the deadline. It would be nice if I did get a response, but I wasn't in contact with a professor there. It was the program that is one of my best fits so we'll see what happens. 

5 hours ago, SocAndStuff said:
6 hours ago, samuelmsafford said:

Anyone here claiming the USC rejection from the decisions page?

Hello. I am.

@SocAndStuff Can I ask who you received the rejection from (e.g. the coordinator, director, etc.) and what your subfields were?