2021 Cycle

cec2021

4 minutes ago, joona said:

Lol so that's like 2 out of the total of 3 admits at JHU this year.. 

Gearing up for rejection at this rate! I just hope it's swift like a band-aid :(

But also, @Qahwwaa why would the coordinator say end of Feb though. They aren't taking that many candidates for it to be in phases..strange 

Dunno. Got an email from Academic Program Coordinator for Sociology today itself (initials LB). She could have said this week ... who knows at this point. I didn't know they were selecting 3 this year, I thought it was usually 5. That's just great. 

53 minutes ago, Qahwwaa said:

Dunno. Got an email from Academic Program Coordinator for Sociology today itself (initials LB). She could have said this week ... who knows at this point. I didn't know they were selecting 3 this year, I thought it was usually 5. That's just great. 

Had you reached out to them prior or did they just email you out of the blue? I haven't heard anything from them at all, so that could be a good sign for you! I think the reason why a lot of us think it'll be even smaller is cause most programs are shrinking the spots they offer this round due to constraints. Maybe because their program is already small they won't reduce the number to less than five, and hopefully they won't. This cycle has just been tough around in general.

4 minutes ago, LMSoc said:

Had you reached out to them prior or did they just email you out of the blue? I haven't heard anything from them at all, so that could be a good sign for you! I think the reason why a lot of us think it'll be even smaller is cause most programs are shrinking the spots they offer this round due to constraints. Maybe because their program is already small they won't reduce the number to less than five, and hopefully they won't. This cycle has just been tough around in general.

I sent them an email this Tuesday and they responded today. I had asked them for an update on when acceptances would go out.

24 minutes ago, Qahwwaa said:

I sent them an email this Tuesday and they responded today. I had asked them for an update on when acceptances would go out.

Thank you for sharing!

41 minutes ago, sdas123 said:

Hey! New to this thread!

Has anyone heard back from Cornell Sociology? 

Cornell doesn't typically request interviews, and consistently sends out their first round of decisions mid-February. So we can either expect to start hearing back next week or potentially even later, since they made the GRE optional.

Edit: last year was a bit out of the norm with them sending rejections early, but previous years they sent out both in mid-February. They seem a bit inconsistent. Best to reach out if you're anxious!

Edited by samuelmsafford

3 hours ago, Qahwwaa said:

Confusing since I just now got an email from the academic coordinator at JHU that they plan to make decisions 'towards the end of February'. Maybe that's just for the rejects lol. 

Ok looks like it's another implicit rejection for me... genuinely hoping that schools can consider sending out acceptances and rejections on the same day so that I can be done with the wait sooner lol

Hey folks, anyone who has been waitlisted by BC on here? How did you find out? 

I haven't heard anything from them at all and my application status is still "submitted" in the portal... What does it mean when you are not accepted, not rejected, and not waitlisted? ? 

5 minutes ago, nicolesaparty said:

I'm told by the Dean's office that you should receive an official update on your status sometime early next week, at which point the department can follow up with additional details.

this is from UChicago, what do you guys think this means? I would think a reject would need no additional details...

I mean, for UW madison, they also sent out an additional email with more "details" (i.e., competitiveness, pandemic, funding, etc.) after updating their portal with application status. So maybe this is what UChicago is also referring to?

4 minutes ago, gforgreat said:

I mean, for UW madison, they also sent out an additional email with more "details" (i.e., competitiveness, pandemic, funding, etc.) after updating their portal with application status. So maybe this is what UChicago is also referring to?

I guess....this is a professor I interviewed with so I doubt he’d say something that generic to me like an administrator would. But maybe!

46 minutes ago, donaldduckheim said:

Wait JHU did interviews? I'm definitely not getting in then... I know this cycle is crazy but it doesn't mean each rejection doesn't sting ☹️

I hadn't heard anything about them doing interviews, but it seems there's a lot of different information circulating. I'm curious if anyone can claim the JHU acceptances on the portal (if comfortable). It's been weird for me with rejections.

I feel like a JHU rejection wouldn't sting as much as another program I'm waiting for (UN-L) mainly because I guess I felt it was always a reach school and UN-L felt like a better shot. With that said, it's been interesting to also see people get rejected to smaller or back-up programs for them and then get into a top choice, so I would agree that this cycle's just all over the place with admissions. It's not over til we hear back from everywhere!

14 minutes ago, LMSoc said:

I hadn't heard anything about them doing interviews, but it seems there's a lot of different information circulating. I'm curious if anyone can claim the JHU acceptances on the portal (if comfortable). It's been weird for me with rejections.

I feel like a JHU rejection wouldn't sting as much as another program I'm waiting for (UN-L) mainly because I guess I felt it was always a reach school and UN-L felt like a better shot. With that said, it's been interesting to also see people get rejected to smaller or back-up programs for them and then get into a top choice, so I would agree that this cycle's just all over the place with admissions. It's not over til we hear back from everywhere!

I'm claiming the JHU acceptance from today. I didn't interview. I got an email from POI, scheduled a time to talk with her and then during our talk she told me via phone call I was accepted. I kind of hate gradcafe because people lie on here and it breeds a lot of neuroticism, but I'd like to be as honest about my process as I can. This admissions cycle has been CRAZY HARD and out of around 9 programs (I submitted all my apps in December, even the ones that were due in January), this is the first program I'm hearing back from (in terms of an acceptance... I've had two interviews thus far). I am sincerely wishing you and everyone else all the very best during this time. Craziest admissions cycle ever.

Edited by wilderivywander

17 minutes ago, LMSoc said:

Agreed! I somehow got into IU but am anticipating rejections from places like WashU and UVA (not that they're not great programs). I saw someone who got into UCLA but not UCSD... It's just weird and I don't know if there is any rhyme or reason for it. But you are RIGHT it's not over !!! Two days ago I was convinced I wasn't going to get in anywhere and now I'm looking at apartments. Things change. Wishing the best for you and UN-L! ?

28 minutes ago, wilderivywander said:

I'm claiming the JHU acceptance from today. I didn't interview. I got an email from POI, scheduled a time to talk with her and then during our talk she told me via phone call I was accepted. I kind of hate gradcafe because people lie on here and it breeds a lot of neuroticism, but I'd like to be as honest about my process as I can. This admissions cycle has been CRAZY HARD and out of around 9 programs (I submitted all my apps in December, even the ones that were due in January), this is the first program I'm hearing back from (in terms of an acceptance... I've had two interviews thus far). I am sincerely wishing you and everyone else all the very best during this time. Craziest admissions cycle ever.

Congrats! Also, I love that the POI emailed to schedule a time to tell you over the phone! I think that's so personal and special to do, especially given how maddening this cycle has been. I appreciate you sharing this! I also completed mine in December trying to give myself a break between my teaching semesters in early January. I got my first rejection (Northeastern) end of last month and then the following week an acceptance from University of Oklahoma (but funding is pending). It's sort of bittersweet to get in somewhere and have a very real possibility of no money, but I'm looking at some options. I kind of wish I had been called to interview places, I tend to really thrive in that area and I'm thinking my SoP maybe wasn't as strong as I thought for some schools.

I hate to say it, but I think next cycle will be on a similar level too, which is why I'm not as interested in applying another round. I don't know that I can do this again. Keeping my fingers crossed for everyone more good news is coming!

22 minutes ago, donaldduckheim said:

Agreed! I somehow got into IU but am anticipating rejections from places like WashU and UVA (not that they're not great programs). I saw someone who got into UCLA but not UCSD... It's just weird and I don't know if there is any rhyme or reason for it. But you are RIGHT it's not over !!! Two days ago I was convinced I wasn't going to get in anywhere and now I'm looking at apartments. Things change. Wishing the best for you and UN-L! ?

Congrats on IU and thank you! That's an awesome program and one my favorites I looked at, I've been told their faculty are great by an insider so you'll be in great hands there! And the UCLA + UCSD one is what I was thinking of, it's so strange and it's across program disciplines too. Like someone shared they got into Stanford and rejected by other programs and I thought "wow, that'd be a pleasant surprise for someone." 

3 minutes ago, LMSoc said:

Congrats! Also, I love that the POI emailed to schedule a time to tell you over the phone! I think that's so personal and special to do, especially given how maddening this cycle has been. I appreciate you sharing this! I also completed mine in December trying to give myself a break between my teaching semesters in early January. I got my first rejection (Northeastern) end of last month and then the following week an acceptance from University of Oklahoma (but funding is pending). It's sort of bittersweet to get in somewhere and have a very real possibility of no money, but I'm looking at some options. I kind of wish I had been called to interview places, I tend to really thrive in that area and I'm thinking my SoP maybe wasn't as strong as I thought for some schools.

I hate to say it, but I think next cycle will be on a similar level too, which is why I'm not as interested in applying another round. I don't know that I can do this again. Keeping my fingers crossed for everyone more good news is coming!

Honestly, that's my feeling too (that next cycle will be equally ridiculous) which is why I shot my shot this time around, but it's been mind-boggling to see how crazy competitive everything is. I know this is a very personal decision for you, but I think you absolutely deserve to have funding whilst pursuing your PhD and I sincerely hope that you receive all the funding you need whether at University of Oklahoma or somewhere else because your intellectual labor matters and it should be compensated. Let keep fingers crossed that we get what we need this time. 

And thank you!!! ❤️ 

Edited by wilderivywander

1 minute ago, LMSoc said:

Congrats on IU and thank you! That's an awesome program and one my favorites I looked at, I've been told their faculty are great by an insider so you'll be in great hands there! And the UCLA + UCSD one is what I was thinking of, it's so strange and it's across program disciplines too. Like someone shared they got into Stanford and rejected by other programs and I thought "wow, that'd be a pleasant surprise for someone." 

Mannnnn if I got accepted by Stanford my admissions season would be over. Shoot. ? But instead they want to play games. Like if you're going to send acceptances, send the rejections too sheesh. We deserve to be respected even though we're rejected. Simple courtesy. Isn't it like a click of a button or whatever? ?‍♀️