2021 Cycle

cec2021

1 hour ago, gforgreat said:

What's taking these programs FOREVER to sent out rejection letters? I want them to just lmk that they don't like me lol

Could not agree more! Just tell me what I know already lol. I've heard of some schools never formally notifying the rejected... Personally think that letting everyone know their decision and that their apps were taken seriously is a sign of respect. 

7 minutes ago, justanothercookie said:

Could not agree more! Just tell me what I know already lol. I've heard of some schools never formally notifying the rejected... Personally think that letting everyone know their decision and that their apps were taken seriously is a sign of respect. 

YES! Not letting their applicants know - especially after they spent almost $100 for the application fee and countless hours on the application materials - says A LOT about the program and faculties. 

Does anyone also apply to UBC and McGill? I received an offer from NYU and was waitlisted by Toronto, yet haven't heard back from the other two universities I applied to. 

10 hours ago, SleeplessInSomewhere said:

Anyone know what the status is with Yale? I vaguely remember seeing someone post that they were interviewed there but I could be mistake...or hoping that I'm mistaken and that Yale doesn't do interviews and theres still hope..

Greetings! I interviewed with a POI from Yale on February 4th, before I got an account with grad cafe. I am hesitant to say give up hope though because I don't know if they operate like others (in that you're only accepted if you get an interview). I'm not sure what their status is in terms of decision making. The POI gave me a vague answer about students hearing back "in a few weeks". 

17 minutes ago, wilderivywander said:

Greetings! I interviewed with a POI from Yale on February 4th, before I got an account with grad cafe. I am hesitant to say give up hope though because I don't know if they operate like others (in that you're only accepted if you get an interview). I'm not sure what their status is in terms of decision making. The POI gave me a vague answer about students hearing back "in a few weeks". 

Hi there! Would you mind sharing the initials of your POI? Thanks!! I'm in the same boat here lol 

Just now, wilderivywander said:

WAIT WHAT?! They sent out information about that program already? Jeez that's not good news for me then ? and I had an interview and everything wow.......... I hope you get in off the waitlist @jetsetter

Oof, yeah they did. I was told that 90 people applied to the program and 3 were accepted. I am among two other students on the waitlist. It's a brutal year @wilderivywander. Where else did you apply to?

10 minutes ago, jetsetter said:

Oof, yeah they did. I was told that 90 people applied to the program and 3 were accepted. I am among two other students on the waitlist. It's a brutal year @wilderivywander. Where else did you apply to?

I applied there and Penn GSE (which I know I didn't get in to because I didn't get an invite for the doctoral interview weekend). Also applied to UMich, Cornell, NYU, JHU and a few others. As soon as the rejection letters start flowing in I'll change my signature to reflect my battle scars. 

Edited by wilderivywander

2 minutes ago, wilderivywander said:

That is absolutely wild! They could have at least sent me an email!!!!! The disrespect this year fam. Inconceivable! I applied there and Penn GSE (which I know I didn't get in to because I didn't get an invite for the doctoral interview weekend). Also applied to UMich, Cornell, NYU, JHU and a few others. As soon as the rejection letters start flowing in I'll change my signature to reflect my battle scars. 

I feels. I really hope you get into those programs, good luck! Solidarity, solidarity.

14 hours ago, JimmyR said:

I am also waiting on NYU. I emailed about a week ago and they said decisions could be announced "as late as mid-February." Honestly, NYU is a reach for me, and probably also not the best fit. Best of luck to you!

Oh then they're probable real :( I thought it was a good fit for me beuase of some professors, I also just got my Master's from NYU, although in a different field and department... which I thought might be positive, but then again maybe they don't like that.

I checked and it seemed other years they had released in March. Well I guess it's not over until we don't have the rejection... did your portal update at all?

Thanks for the kind words and best of luck to you as well!!!!

2 minutes ago, nicolesaparty said:

I was....yeah I’m starting to think that’s what it is. 

Are you talking about U Chicago? You may be under consideration for MAPSS. I am a recent grad from that program and the SS PhD programs tend to send some of their applicants to MAPSS.

11 hours ago, rrgg11 said:

Does anyone also apply to UBC and McGill? I received an offer from NYU and was waitlisted by Toronto, yet haven't heard back from the other two universities I applied to. 

Congrats on the NYU offer!!! Did your portal update or you just got an email?

17 minutes ago, nicolesaparty said:

No, people were informed yesterday that they were referred to MAPSS or just flat out rejected.  I haven’t gotten anything 

Im in the same boat as you... wondering if we may be on alternate unofficial waitlist or a tech glitch.