2021 Cycle

cec2021

1 hour ago, lkaitlyn said:

Hey all. I saw someone ask a few pages back about UCI but no one responded so just to give an answer: at the faculty meeting a week or two ago, they said that they had extended 34 offers with the goal of getting a cohort of 11. They also said that there were serious cuts to recruitment funding, especially diversity-focused recruitment funding. (Everyone should still get the baseline funding package, though, thanks to our grad union — grad unions are awesome; this is specifically about one-time stipend top-ups.)

If you've been admitted, congrats and feel free to reach out if you have questions! If you haven't heard, know that UCI has a history of ghosting people for a while rather than formally waitlisting, so hang in there for a little bit longer. ?

Hi there! Looking at your updated schools list, did you receive a rejection letter from Michigan? Or is that based on people receiving acceptances?

6 hours ago, nicolesaparty said:

Right but also you were not interviewed right? I was interviewed ? so that might make a difference...if it’s a glitch how can we find out??

6 hours ago, glee1111 said:

Yeah was not interviewed. I was thinking of sending an email? I dont know, though. If its a rejection, I just want to know. 

oop I just got my rejection after all (hadn't interviewed). Referred to MACSS (computational) rather than MAPSS, I forget if that was something I checked on the app but anyhow it makes sense for me

6 minutes ago, __both__ said:

oop I just got my rejection after all (hadn't interviewed). Referred to MACSS (computational) rather than MAPSS, I forget if that was something I checked on the app but anyhow it makes sense for me

Same! I just checked and I got reffeered to MACSS too. The price tag seems too high...

Did anyone apply to the DASA program at UCI? Or know anything about it? 

At this point, that seems to be my best bet for the time being to transition into a PhD program. (Or spend more time and money applying to other Master's programs that are still accepting applications). Is anyone else considering (or something similar) this pathway at the moment?

For anyone who has heard from SUNY Stony Brook, what has the correspondence been like? I see some people posted interview requests a little while ago and today someone posted that they were waitlisted. I'm wondering if all admitted and waitlisted students have been interviewed, and if the dept. said anything about their admissions process. I called a few weeks ago and spoke with the graduate coordinator who said she wasn't sure when admissions would be released but assumed it would sometime in mid-February. 

8 hours ago, lkaitlyn said:

I think UCI admits most of those they interview. (It's not a hard rule that I've heard of, and I'm sure there have been exceptions over the years, but the interview is really informal, and they don't have the staffing capacity to interview tons of people they aren't genuinely interested in.) In terms of whether or not interviews are required, all the extra recruitment funding at UCI requires that an interview be part of the admissions process, so I think they interview everyone; they really try to get everyone extra funding in normal years. Again, perhaps there have been random exceptions, but even someone in my cohort who got in super late had a phone call with the grad director before admission. (This person heard nothing until March, to my knowledge.)

Hello! If you do not mind telling me, did you get emails for Cornell and Michigan? Also, for Cornell, did you apply to sociology or development sociology? Thanks :))

2 hours ago, socsci14 said:

For anyone who has heard from SUNY Stony Brook, what has the correspondence been like? I see some people posted interview requests a little while ago and today someone posted that they were waitlisted. I'm wondering if all admitted and waitlisted students have been interviewed, and if the dept. said anything about their admissions process. I called a few weeks ago and spoke with the graduate coordinator who said she wasn't sure when admissions would be released but assumed it would sometime in mid-February. 

I posted the waitlist result from Stony Brook (Hi all – first post!). Overall, the correspondence has been very good. I had my interview last week with the Graduate Program Director (who is very lovely). It was pretty relaxed and I was able to ask about the program. 

I thought it went well, but I got an email today from the Director telling me that I was on the waitlist. She said that it was a difficult year with a lot of qualified candidates for a few spots (due to budget constraints, they could not get as much funding as a normal year). She said the formal email will follow in the next few days, so I do not know if everyone has been officially informed yet.

28 minutes ago, lalalalalala123 said:

Hi, did someone applied Umich? Have they already released all the offers?  i personally do not think there will be multiple rounds of admissions cus they have such few positions.  : (

Hi, I applied to Umich and was accepted. I made an account because I wanted to help answer any questions you may have during these stressful times. I am not sure if they are doing rounds of admissions, but it was not implied in any of the emails sent to me.

1 minute ago, socstuff123 said:

Hi, I applied to Umich and was accepted. I made an account because I wanted to help answer any questions you may have during these stressful times. I am not sure if they are doing rounds of admissions, but it was not implied in any of the emails sent to me.

Thanks!!!!! I saw someone post waitlist , so i guess it only left rej. :(

19 minutes ago, genstudies said:

Hello, it seems like a few people are still waiting to hear back from USC and UC Berkeley (Soc/Demography)? I'm guessing at this point USC is a rejection for me. But, I haven't seen anything on the results page about Berkeley this cycle yet! 

I'm assuming the same for USC, but I'm also trying to not completely assume I'm rejected until they tell me so. I did email Berkeley at the beginning of the month and they said they had no clue when decisions would be made. I don't know how that decision will go for me because one of the potential advisors I was wanting to work with isn't in the department anymore...

17 hours ago, kevink1 said:

Hello! If you do not mind telling me, did you get emails for Cornell and Michigan? Also, for Cornell, did you apply to sociology or development sociology? Thanks :))

I applied last year. Sorry for the confusion. Currently at UCI, hence knowing the info about this year's acceptances. (FWIW, last year I got email rejections from both Cornell — just Sociology — and UMich.)

1 hour ago, PopStudies said:

I'm assuming the same for USC, but I'm also trying to not completely assume I'm rejected until they tell me so. I did email Berkeley at the beginning of the month and they said they had no clue when decisions would be made. I don't know how that decision will go for me because one of the potential advisors I was wanting to work with isn't in the department anymore...

I was accepted to USC. It seems like they have already made their decisions. That being said, they indicated that if an accepted applicant is thinking of not attending, then let them know asap so they could give the offer to another student. Hope this information is helpful!

6 minutes ago, kevink1 said:

I was accepted to USC. It seems like they have already made their decisions. That being said, they indicated that if an accepted applicant is thinking of not attending, then let them know asap so they could give the offer to another student. Hope this information is helpful!

Is it true that they don't use a waitlist? 

3 minutes ago, PopStudies said:

Is it true that they don't use a waitlist? 

I'm not sure if they use a waitlist. But, they initially sent out an email giving information about other accepted students. So, I'm guessing they have made their initial decisions. However, as I said before, new acceptances will probably be made when some students do not take their offer?

On 2/13/2021 at 11:28 AM, salamander27 said:

Hey guys, I know it's a thread on sociology decisions so this may be a long shot, but has anyone (with a particular interest/focus on STS) applied to U Chicago's CHSS? It's a smaller interdisciplinary program, and I'm trying to gauge where their admissions process is at. 

On 2/16/2021 at 2:19 PM, steinein said:

Hi there: No idea about all offers, but I can report that, yesterday, I received a rejection from CHSS in my portal.

Then, today, I received an email from the dean of students that this rejection was an error, and that, in fact, I had been wait listed. There was no concrete information about when I would receive an update. Just "in the coming weeks."

I don't trust my luck: I was the alternate for Fulbright 2020-2021, which was cancelled altogether. Best to you this cycle.

UChicago CHSS Update: They have admitted only 1 applicant, with 5 on the wait list.

5 minutes ago, Nihankg said:

Hello all, is there anyone who hear back from Michigan State? I check my portal regularly and nothing is there. So I wondered if it is the same with everybody? 

I was e-mailed Monday morning by the Program Coordinator to set up interviews in the first week of March. There was no indication whether they were sending these out all at once or on a rolling basis, but they have begun to reach out to those they're considering to "take part in their next stage of admissions."

Hope you also hear back from them!

Edited by samuelmsafford