2021 Cycle

cec2021

3 hours ago, Sq1990 said:

Well....I have one more pending school.  UCRiverside is the last school on my list.

This admission cycle was soul crushing. Did UCRiverside send out acceptances already?  Trying to see how to mentally prepare. ?

I haven't heard a thing from them, and it seems quite a few people are waiting on them as well, so I'm presuming not. 

4 hours ago, donaldduckheim said:

Hi friends. Is there anyone else here that HASN'T heard back from JHU yet? I know they sent out some rejections today and they've already accepted people but I haven't heard anything. 

I have not. I was just pulling up this page to post about this lol. I assume they are sending out rejections in waves? Not sure what's going on here. Portal also not updated. 

I received four rejections (UCI, USC, JHU, UM) yesterday – it's almost like they planned it together haha. It has been a long, stress-filled adventure these past few months, and I am glad to finally have all my decisions. Good luck to everyone still waiting!

1 hour ago, glee1111 said:

Does anyone have information on NYU? They said decisions would be released by the end of the month?

NYU released acceptances about a week or so ago. I haven't received any news from them yet but I'm assuming I didn't make the cut.

3 hours ago, glee1111 said:

Does anyone have information on NYU? They said decisions would be released by the end of the month?

I emailed them yesterday and was told decisions "should be out hopefully by the end of the month." That's a lot of qualifiers! 

Has anyone heard from University of Alberta and/or University of Calgary?

I got an email from the sociology department of Calgary in late January, which requested more documents from me. Since then I have not been hearing from either school.

14 hours ago, Shgd said:

Has anyone heard from Northeastern yet? Had interviews about three weeks ago and I only saw one post of acceptance in the result page. 

No, not yet. I attended the campus visit event as well. I am not sure if the post on the results page is accurate, however.

On 2/27/2021 at 7:01 AM, jetsetter said:

No, not yet. I attended the campus visit event as well. I am not sure if the post on the results page is accurate, however.

I am sure that one of the students got an offer in mid February , but I don’t know if he/she is the one posting. Let’s hope for the best.

Has anyone got admitted to OSU but was told that there is no funding available currently? I checked their past records, it seems that only half of those who got an offer were nominated a fellowship successfully. This is so frustrating...

NYU sends the last official notification of rejection to me today, which marks the end of my 0 acceptance cycle. Though some people are questionning about spam and troll info, I think all the result posts related to the programs I applied were accurate. They indeed sent rejections a few weeks after the offers. So I still want to appreciate GradCafe and this thread for the information, which prepared me step by step to a no-acceptance-at-all result. I do hope those similar to me but dedicated to reapplying this year DO NOT LOSE HOPE. I feel comforted from many of the encouraging posts I read here and I want to extend mine at the end of the cycle. I am now through with the results and I deem it as an opportunity to explore more opportunities relevant but outside the academia. I have the belief that this will turn into a blessing in disguise. Best luck to you all, to those who keep their head up!

So my BC PhD application was rejected but was accepted into the MA program???? Same thing with GM. Idk whether to feel deflated or flattered or...both?

Luckily got into one PhD program but still...

Edited by milahwatts

Was anyone accepted to UNLV *with* funding? Every acceptance seems to be on a waiting list, myself included. I really want to go to this program so I keep checking my e-mail to see if maybe, by some miracle, I'm off the funding waitlist and can formally accept. 

Just want to commiserate with the person who had no offers. I received another rejection. I've received all rejections in sociology so far, and I'm waiting to hear back from 3 more programs, but I'm not optimistic at this point. I wasn't even referred to the master's program at a medium-ranked school, which I thought would be the minimum of my luck. 

It's fairly distressing having so many rejections and minimum optimism. When I look back at my academic record, yes there are blemishes, but I've worked my ass off to overcome them. I had to invest tremendous emotional and intellectual energy to get to where I am. I am an Iraq war veteran with severe PTSD and numerous physical and neurological disabilities from being caught in bomb blasts. I sought therapists, took excellent care of myself, received the right medicines, and generally really worked on myself to overcome my disabilities. I also cultivated professional relationships, and earned good LoRs. Now I wonder, if I worked this hard but didn't get in, what was it all for? I could've coasted to finish my degree without all the stress of being #1 in my classes. And while I shouldn't be mad at them, I can't help feel a little betrayed by all my professors who said that I should apply to programs because they think I'm made of the right stuff.

I take solace in the fact that I still have options, like paying for a master's degree in the field and reapply for a Ph.D. program down the road. I even have an interview for a master's at an Ivy League for a somewhat unrelated field, which I feel good about. But still, the bus for the Ph.D. is passing by my stop and I don't have the fare to get on.

Edited by NeckPocket

Now that most accepts/rejects have gone out, just a friendly plea to anyone sitting on offers they *know* they won't be accepting to please notify departments as soon as possible. Most departments have had to downsize cohorts so there are much larger wait-lists this year -- and many people still hoping for spots to open up!

Hope everyone is holding up alright. Be well!