2021 Cycle

cec2021

10 minutes ago, macska said:

When I start logging in to the individual application portals, that's when you know that the anxiety is really getting bad.

I feel that. I just want UCLA to give out rejection letter so I don't have to just assume that I got rejected!

6 hours ago, salamander27 said:

Hi all!

I've just landed on this website today - ended up scrolling for most of the past hour and finally signed up. Have applied to three of the schools that came up in this thread - Chicago, Notre Dame, and UofT. No interview call from Chicago, which tbh seems like a really bad sign, and no word from UofT, where acceptances have started to arrive, and it's claimed that they've all been sent out?

Would second a previous post on here asking the person who's spoken over email with ND's Graduate Director to share a bit more detail. When it comes to "fit", I think among all my North America applications Notre Dame had the best alignment with my interests. 

Finally, a little context on my profile: I'm an international ("I") student with a UK Masters degree from Edinburgh (and a BSc that is not from the UK), in which I attained a Distinction (which is sort of like a 4.0). Also have an older GRE that's just alright (318). However I'm now starting to wonder whether a UK Masters puts you at a disadvantage, especially when it comes to top schools like Chicago and UofT.

If you feel like you have any feedback on the above, please do share. And like macska, I'm sending you all my best wishes for this week.  

I'm also an international student (not my first application cycle).

I feel like being an international student (with masters from UK as well) can often be a disadvantage just in terms of the university securing funding etc. and maybe with the translation of the first/distinction grading system, but this is mostly assumption on my part.

I feel like it might be tougher in this cycle too, with lots more US applicants and less funding available at universities (again, this is pure conjecture). 

That said, I know a lot of UK students who have got into top US schools, so it's definitely doable! Best of luck! 

On 1/26/2021 at 8:55 PM, macska said:

I also haven't heard anything from UMN, which has lead to me checking my email obsessively. Last week someone confirmed in the forum that they got a rejection email but that there was no portal update. UMN also usually sends acceptances before rejections, which would mean this year is also a departure in that regard, too.

But it seems like Covid has messed with the usual timelines for a lot of places? For example, Notre Dame usually sends interview requests around the 15th, and no one has posted anything about invitations on the forum or results page either.

Yeah the rejections coming out a couple of weeks ago for UMN has really confused me... Hopefully we'll all hear something soon!

This year seems to be a wild one, like we can't really rely on the usual timelines.

1 minute ago, sluggerotoole said:

Yeah the rejections coming out a couple of weeks ago for UMN has really confused me... Hopefully we'll all hear something soon!

This year seems to be a wild one, like we can't really rely on the usual timelines.

Yeah it is a wild one for sure! Also not my first cycle, but so far I feel that I'm handling the stress way better this year than last time. As for UMN, I am really confused as well. Their acceptances generally come out in January and they usually send rejections after acceptances, if the results page is correct, which means this year is a total aberration. Still holding out hope tho!

49 minutes ago, FrigidSky701 said:

My daily schedule:

1. Check my email

2. Check GradCafe results

3. Check this thread

4. Go back to 1.

5. Do this for 10 times a minute.

I love this waiting game :'P

I feel so understood by this. I have this fantastic book I want to read, but I can't manage to get myself to open it because of all of the feelings of everything. 

34 minutes ago, PopStudies said:

I feel so understood by this. I have this fantastic book I want to read, but I can't manage to get myself to open it because of all of the feelings of everything. 

I totally feel you. I mean, I have a thesis to write but I just cannot focus and my productivity level is at all-time low due to the anxiety that is plaguing my everyday life. Like how many more weeks do we have to wait? 

2 hours ago, macska said:

When I start logging in to the individual application portals, that's when you know that the anxiety is really getting bad.

Lol this was me earlier today ?, but I only did it once so I guess that's progress? [compared to twice in the morning and afternoons) I try to keep busy with work but I check gradcafe every couple hours still and that's how I know to check my email/portals. My usual focus tricks aren't always working either.

It also gives me anxiety when I see other programs at the same university releasing results (if the main results page is accurate). All this waiting is slowly killing me.

55 minutes ago, PopStudies said:

I don't believe there is a specific Demography/Population Studies area on here. I'm wondering if anyone applied to UC Berkeley Demography and has heard anything?

I applied to Berkeley Demography and haven’t heard a peep. From last year’s results page, it was right about now that people started getting acceptances.... oof 

3 minutes ago, socszn_28 said:

I applied to Berkeley Demography and haven’t heard a peep. From last year’s results page, it was right about now that people started getting acceptances.... oof 

This was based off of a single post, which could have been fake. The few rejections were around this time too though.

4 minutes ago, socszn_28 said:

This was based off of a single post, which could have been fake. The few rejections were around this time too though.

I do believe last year that the department only accepted 2 students so it would make sense that only one acceptance ended up on the results board. I looked through the last few cycles and it seems to be around this time that acceptances come out, though there don't seem to be many, with rejections a week or two later?

I wanted to email someone in the department today, but I couldn't find anyone who had the title of coordinator. I might see if I can find a general email somewhere to gain some insight.

Hi everyone! It's my first time posting on this thread and I share everyone's anxieties. I've been checking the messages about acceptances, interviews, etc. and was wondering if anyone knows about NYU and whether they do interviews. I saw on the results page someone posted about an interview (although it was for NYU Shanghai) this weekend and it's stressing me out.

Good luck to everyone!!! 

52 minutes ago, PopStudies said:

I do believe last year that the department only accepted 2 students so it would make sense that only one acceptance ended up on the results board. I looked through the last few cycles and it seems to be around this time that acceptances come out, though there don't seem to be many, with rejections a week or two later?

I wanted to email someone in the department today, but I couldn't find anyone who had the title of coordinator. I might see if I can find a general email somewhere to gain some insight.

Good to know, thanks! Let us know if you do end up emailing someone

6 hours ago, iamlia said:

Hi everyone! It's my first time posting on this thread and I share everyone's anxieties. I've been checking the messages about acceptances, interviews, etc. and was wondering if anyone knows about NYU and whether they do interviews. I saw on the results page someone posted about an interview (although it was for NYU Shanghai) this weekend and it's stressing me out.

Good luck to everyone!!! 

Hi! I claim the interview for NYU Shanghai and I'm sorry for stressing you out. As far as I know, NYU doesn't conduct interviews for PhD admission (according to my poi at NYU Shanghai). They're independent in recruiting students.

Edited by belief_in_jerks

On 1/30/2021 at 4:02 PM, 78iooi said:

Was admitted by UCLA early this week. The committee member then told me that admission was divided into batches and my application was in the last batch. So I guess that rejections are releasing soon?

Hi! Could you please tell me if your offer was phd or ma?

14 hours ago, sluggerotoole said:

I'm also an international student (not my first application cycle).

I feel like being an international student (with masters from UK as well) can often be a disadvantage just in terms of the university securing funding etc. and maybe with the translation of the first/distinction grading system, but this is mostly assumption on my part.

I feel like it might be tougher in this cycle too, with lots more US applicants and less funding available at universities (again, this is pure conjecture). 

That said, I know a lot of UK students who have got into top US schools, so it's definitely doable! Best of luck! 

Makes sense, those assumptions are definitely plausible. Thanks for the feedback! And best of luck to you too!

Just checking if anyone on here is among the two American students who've been invited to Notre Dame's virtual visit day? If so, did you have an interview previously, or I'm guessing that this is the interview call? Would you mind sharing the date? As an international student I just want to see how many more days of waiting can I reasonably expect before I know it's over...thanks!

11 hours ago, belief_in_jerks said:

Hi! I claim the interview for NYU Shanghai and I'm sorry for stressing you out. As far as I know, NYU doesn't conduct interviews for PhD admission (according to my poi at NYU Shanghai). They're independent in recruiting students.

Haha no worries!! Thanks for letting me know! And congrats on getting the interview!!! Best of luck for it. Did you only apply to the program in Shanghai or solo in NY?

15 minutes ago, salamander27 said:

Just checking if anyone on here is among the two American students who've been invited to Notre Dame's virtual visit day? If so, did you have an interview previously, or I'm guessing that this is the interview call? Would you mind sharing the date? As an international student I just want to see how many more days of waiting can I reasonably expect before I know it's over...thanks!

I woke up to the invitation in my inbox. They have a virtual visit on February 19th, and all invited get the chance to speak to current students and professors. They say to think of it as a "recruitment day" not an interview, as everyone invited is either admitted or waitlisted and admitted.

I'm not sure if they're still sending invitations, but if so I hope you get one!

Edited by samuelmsafford

1 minute ago, samuelmsafford said:

I woke up to the invitation in my inbox. They have a virtual visit on February 19th, and all invited get the chance to speak to current students and professors. They say to think of it as a "recruitment day" not an invitation, as everyone invited is either admitted or waitlisted and admitted.

I'm not sure if they're still sending invitations, but if so I hope you get one!

Congratulations! I think it is safe to assume that getting an invitation is unlikely, even if I'm inclined to believing that maybeee they're yet to contact international applicants. 

All the best for recruitment day!