2021 Cycle

cec2021

2 hours ago, SleeplessInSomewhere said:

Do you know if they conducted interviews with *all* shortlisted applicants? I saw some interview posts on the results board. So if we didn't get an interview invitation we should be preparing for rejection letters?

I honestly don’t know ? 

9 hours ago, SleeplessInSomewhere said:

Do you know if they conducted interviews with *all* shortlisted applicants? I saw some interview posts on the results board. So if we didn't get an interview invitation we should be preparing for rejection letters?

Been wondering the same..

On 12/10/2020 at 1:59 PM, lkaitlyn said:

Going to answer here too so people can see: UCI has historically done this. You meet with a professor (generally one that you mentioned you wanted to work with, and in my case, turned into my advisor!). It's very chill. Mine actually hadn't read my application due to VPN issues (oops), but normally they do before the interview. The interview ranged from discussing my research interests to comparing pets. My impression of the interviews is that it's really just seeing if you mesh well with people, not a super serious weeding out process. Honestly I think it was helpful, because I learned I'd feel comfortable working with this person and asking them questions.

Also interviewed for a gender studies program. That was more formal — it was me and then the grad director, my potential advisor, and another person, which to me felt a bit more intimidating. They were nice but I was more nervous about it and they asked more "real" questions (like, "tell us about a time when you got into a conflict with someone; how did you resolve it?" and stuff like that). I got into this program as well, but the interview was a bit more intimidating just because of the number of people than with UCI.

So TL;DR: it really depends on the program! Make sure that you think of questions to ask about the program and just be open and honest about your interests and it will be fine. If you interview with a potential advisor and the conversation feels awkward, that's something to take seriously when you're deciding where to attend, because if you're going to work with this person for at least your first couple years (if not longer), you want to be able to talk to them comfortably.

How did you apply for Northwestern? They are closed.

I wonder if acceptances to UCLA are sent in waves. I still did not get any update, which probably means I am rejected, but I am just keeping my hopes up. Meanwhile, why is there no update on other schools? Anyone know about WaShu?

Edit. I just sent an email to WaShu about when to expect any decision. Hopefully I get an answer soon.

Edited by FrigidSky701

2 minutes ago, FrigidSky701 said:

I wonder if acceptances to UCLA are sent in waves. I still did not get any update, which probably means I am rejected, but I am just keeping my hopes up. Meanwhile, why is there no update on other schools? Anyone know about WaShu?

Same still waiting on UCLA. Do they send out acceptances in Feb?

1 hour ago, FrigidSky701 said:

Edit. I just sent an email to WaShu about when to expect any decision. Hopefully I get an answer soon.

Hey! I was accepted into WashU. Spoke to a Professor I’m going to be working with if I end up going there. They only admitted 5 students so I’m assuming if you haven’t gotten a waitlist or acceptance email, you might not have got in. They sent out acceptances and waitlists last week. 

50 minutes ago, passionatelobotomist said:

Hey! I was accepted into WashU. Spoke to a Professor I’m going to be working with if I end up going there. They only admitted 5 students so I’m assuming if you haven’t gotten a waitlist or acceptance email, you might not have got in. They sent out acceptances and waitlists last week. 

Thank you for the info!

Anyone receive their funding offer from UT? I thought normally it was with the acceptance. The numbers on PhDstipends look really low, especially as housing prices have been on the rise. It is by far my #1 choice, but the math doesn't look good. 

1 hour ago, cec2021 said:

Anyone receive their funding offer from UT? I thought normally it was with the acceptance. The numbers on PhDstipends look really low, especially as housing prices have been on the rise. It is by far my #1 choice, but the math doesn't look good. 

Hey! I didn't get accepted into UT Sociology but I did get into UT government and they sent my stipend with my application. What they sent is pretty low in my opinion, especially considering that Austin is considered a more expensive area to live in. 

I saw on the results page someone shared that Indiana-Sociology is making final decisions and releasing their decisions in the next two weeks, I'm curious if anyone had an interview there and is willing to share (or if they did interviews at all?).

I haven't heard anything and am kind of trying to figure out if I should let go of hope in getting accepted there (my top choice). Kind of nervous in general about not being requested for any interviews, as it seems this cycle that's more common. Trying to keep the "no news is still good news" at this point but the waiting is slowly killing me.

11 minutes ago, LMSoc said:

I saw on the results page someone shared that Indiana-Sociology is making final decisions and releasing their decisions in the next two weeks, I'm curious if anyone had an interview there and is willing to share (or if they did interviews at all?).

I haven't heard anything and am kind of trying to figure out if I should let go of hope in getting accepted there (my top choice). Kind of nervous in general about not being requested for any interviews, as it seems this cycle that's more common. Trying to keep the "no news is still good news" at this point but the waiting is slowly killing me.

From what I've heard, Indiana doesn't usually do interviews, but they do sometimes reach out to candidates to gauge interest before sending out admissions. I'm hoping that that's the case this year as well, since I haven't heard anything from them.

I say that with the qualification that I think this whole cycle is so different for both us and departments that looking at what the norm is from previous years doesn't seem to be telling you what's actually happening this year. A lot of schools that send out interview invites or have usually already sent out admissions haven't done the same this year, so it's hard to know what's going to happen until it does. 

12 minutes ago, samuelmsafford said:

From what I've heard, Indiana doesn't usually do interviews, but they do sometimes reach out to candidates to gauge interest before sending out admissions. I'm hoping that that's the case this year as well, since I haven't heard anything from them.

I say that with the qualification that I think this whole cycle is so different for both us and departments that looking at what the norm is from previous years doesn't seem to be telling you what's actually happening this year. A lot of schools that send out interview invites or have usually already sent out admissions haven't done the same this year, so it's hard to know what's going to happen until it does. 

Thank you for sharing this! I agree that so much is so different this cycle with COVID that I keep telling myself to not make too many assumptions. Everyone's trying their best in this process, and I imagine it's really hard for departments to make these decisions with all the factors they have to consider. Hopefully we'll both hear some good news from them soon!