2021 Cycle

cec2021

2 hours ago, gforgreat said:

anyone heard back from USC or UW madison?

Based on past years' results, it is about time they start sending out acceptance letters....

I applied to UW Madison as well. I believe the department said we will hear from them some time in Feb. So no worries :)

1 hour ago, sgrad23 said:

Has anybody heard back from Ohio State? I saw a couple acceptances but never heard and my portal still says pending.

I applied to OSU as well. But I haven’t heard anything and my portal is still pending. I think there are 3 or 4 acceptance posted already so I’m a little worried..

3 minutes ago, WhyGeorgia said:

How are you all managing your anxiety over this? I feel like I'm constantly checking for updates. It seems that we can't base this year on previous years timelines and acceptances. No idea what I would do if I didn't get any acceptances. 

It’s extremely difficult not to check for emails every few minutes haha. I keep reminding myself that it is out of my control now and even if I got rejected, I’ll just find a job and reapply next year I suppose. COVID makes this cycle very competitive. 

5 hours ago, WhyGeorgia said:

How are you all managing your anxiety over this? I feel like I'm constantly checking for updates. It seems that we can't base this year on previous years timelines and acceptances. No idea what I would do if I didn't get any acceptances. 

I am also checking for updates constantly! I am anxious, nervous, and even scared.

I remind myself that this cycle is an unusual one, thus if I don't get accepted, it is not my fault. But then, part of me also thinks that if I was "good enough," I would still be accepted no matter how crazy competitive it is - thereby, it is still my fault. 

Long story short, I am not managing my anxiety well haha

24 minutes ago, gforgreat said:

I am also checking for updates constantly! I am anxious, nervous, and even scared.

I remind myself that this cycle is an unusual one, thus if I don't get accepted, it is not my fault. But then, part of me also thinks that if I was "good enough," I would still be accepted no matter how crazy competitive it is - thereby, it is still my fault. 

Long story short, I am not managing my anxiety well haha

For some reason I was hoping the competition would be less this year? While I know many schools have paused admitting people this year, I was hoping that because of the reduction in number of schools to apply to less people would apply. Does anyone have any insight on that? 

And it's not your fault no matter what! Sometimes it's just a matter of fit. 

30 minutes ago, WhyGeorgia said:

For some reason I was hoping the competition would be less this year? While I know many schools have paused admitting people this year, I was hoping that because of the reduction in number of schools to apply to less people would apply. Does anyone have any insight on that? 

I think part of the reason we're seeing a spike in applications for some programs is the relaxation of the GRE requirement. While I don't agree that it's a good metric to base ability on, it is a barrier to applying. If you don't have to study for and invest in taking the GRE, you're more likely to think that it's worth it to apply this cycle. So I bet you anything that the schools still requiring it are seeing a slight increase, but not as big of one as the schools that aren't.

4 hours ago, WhyGeorgia said:

I had a similar train of thought, especially given how so many in the field of sociology are worried about the future job market (in academia in particular). I guess I thought people might look at other fields...but it seems that was also wrong. I literally keep running through my applications and thinking about what I "should" have done instead. I only applied to six programs (and a variety in terms of tiers) who I felt could support me and that I could contribute to in regards to fit. I haven't heard back anywhere and my gut keeps sinking thinking I'm not getting in anywhere.

I'm keeping a similar thought as you in mind: it's not my fault if I don't get in. Everything is so strange right now and competition is fierce, so if I have to try again, I have to try again this fall. For now though I'll just eat ice cream and work on lecture slides ?

11 hours ago, WhyGeorgia said:

58 minutes ago, LMSoc said:

I had a similar train of thought, especially given how so many in the field of sociology are worried about the future job market (in academia in particular). I guess I thought people might look at other fields...but it seems that was also wrong. I literally keep running through my applications and thinking about what I "should" have done instead. I only applied to six programs (and a variety in terms of tiers) who I felt could support me and that I could contribute to in regards to fit. I haven't heard back anywhere and my gut keeps sinking thinking I'm not getting in anywhere.

I'm keeping a similar thought as you in mind: it's not my fault if I don't get in. Everything is so strange right now and competition is fierce, so if I have to try again, I have to try again this fall. For now though I'll just eat ice cream and work on lecture slides ?

There are two aspects that I will consider not only for the cycle but also for the (hopefully) future doctoral journey. Extrinsically, I have also been working in other related fields for years (social movement/policy/politics), and if academia does not work out for me, I would go for other intended careers; in other words, I think that limiting yourself to only one possibility is never a good idea. Intrinsically, I also agree that you should not blame yourself for any rejection; rather, I would take that like fieldwork and consider what I have learned from the cycle, and what I shall do in the next cycle to increase my probability of getting acceptance, such as start applying for funding earlier, networking earlier, etc. Considering the competition may not fall down in the upcoming years as long as the pandemic is still looming, I would urge myself to turn the anxiety into preparing earlier next time.

9 minutes ago, tsengch77 said:

There are two aspects that I will consider not only for the cycle but also for the (hopefully) future doctoral journey. Extrinsically, I have also been working in other related fields for years (social movement/policy/politics), and if academia does not work out for me, I would go for other intended careers; in other words, I think that limiting yourself to only one possibility is never a good idea. Intrinsically, I also agree that you should not blame yourself for any rejection; rather, I would take that like fieldwork and consider what I have learned from the cycle, and what I shall do in the next cycle to increase my probability of getting acceptance, such as start applying for funding earlier, networking earlier, etc. Considering the competition may not fall down in the upcoming years as long as the pandemic is still looming, I would urge myself to turn the anxiety into preparing earlier next time.

I really appreciate your reframe and advice here! I've actually already been thinking about how to reframe my personal statement and swap out one of my LORs. By next cycle, I'd have another semester or two of teaching under my belt too. I also believe in not limiting myself post-grad option wise, but I do know I want to teach in some capacity. Honestly, I wish academia wasn't such an elitist/gate kept place. 

I hope to see academia change, and I would love to be help it change but first I have to get in somewhere. I'm hoping a few of my programs were less popular as I haven't seen them listed and I stand a chance there. I only applied to schools that I felt could support my both as a student and person (culture fit was a huge factor for me if I'm going to get a doctorate). Thank you again for sharing this!

1 hour ago, LMSoc said:

I really appreciate your reframe and advice here! I've actually already been thinking about how to reframe my personal statement and swap out one of my LORs. By next cycle, I'd have another semester or two of teaching under my belt too. I also believe in not limiting myself post-grad option wise, but I do know I want to teach in some capacity. Honestly, I wish academia wasn't such an elitist/gate kept place. 

I hope to see academia change, and I would love to be help it change but first I have to get in somewhere. I'm hoping a few of my programs were less popular as I haven't seen them listed and I stand a chance there. I only applied to schools that I felt could support my both as a student and person (culture fit was a huge factor for me if I'm going to get a doctorate). Thank you again for sharing this!

I agree with you as well! My strategy too was applying to multiple tier universities and hoping the less popular programs I applied too weren't too bombarded with other applications. Best of luck!

On 1/20/2021 at 5:34 PM, SleeplessInSomewhere said:

I have also taken the liberty of emailing UT Austin asking for a tentative date of when we should expect to hear back, as well as whether the department intends to conduct interviews this year.

Anyone want to take one for the team and do the same with Stanford/any of the remaining schools so we have an idea of what to expect? :)) please, pretty please?

Have you heard back from UT Austin?

3 minutes ago, cec2021 said:

Have you heard back from UT Austin?

No, no reply. I was in touch with the admissions coordinator for a while and she was usually prompt with her replies. My guess and hope is that they're busy finalizing letters and that's why she hasn't responded. I know UT Austin has sent out letters for polisci last week so perhaps it would be our turn this week?

On 1/26/2021 at 9:35 AM, SleeplessInSomewhere said:

No, no reply. I was in touch with the admissions coordinator for a while and she was usually prompt with her replies. My guess and hope is that they're busy finalizing letters and that's why she hasn't responded. I know UT Austin has sent out letters for polisci last week so perhaps it would be our turn this week?

I really hope so! It was January 22nd and 25th in 2017 and 2018. I think the 29th in 2019. So I've really been on edge about it this week!

14 minutes ago, centauri123 said:

I heard back from the grad coordinator form UT Austin - she said that decisions should be made this week. Have been anxiously checking my emails >.<

That’s good to know.

So it is likely we will hear back from Ohio State and UT Austin this week.

It’s gonna be a long and anxious week isn’t it...

12 minutes ago, AwesomeWilliam said:

That’s good to know.

So it is likely we will hear back from Ohio State and UT Austin this week.

It’s gonna be a long and anxious week isn’t it...

Tbh, every week has felt long and anxious since submitting those applications...

Has anyone got any insight into what's happening with Minnesota - they've usually sent out offers by now, and there were a couple of rejections last week?...

Good luck everyone and well done those who already have offers in hand ?

4 hours ago, socszn_28 said:

FYI: I was told UChicago is making their decisions this week and students will be informed within two weeks, max three. 

Do you know if they conducted interviews with *all* shortlisted applicants? I saw some interview posts on the results board. So if we didn't get an interview invitation we should be preparing for rejection letters?