2021 Cycle

cec2021

I feel like the worst part of this waiting process is knowing you're rejected (based on the fact other ppl have received interviews and acceptances), but still holding hope until the rejection letter comes, which is not until late feb/march. I know I'm trying to stay positive even though I know i'm unofficially rejected from 3-4 programs. Its seriously the hardest thing ever. 

2 minutes ago, gforgreat said:

I feel like the worst part of this waiting process is knowing you're rejected (based on the fact other ppl have received interviews and acceptances), but still holding hope until the rejection letter comes, which is not until late feb/march. I know I'm trying to stay positive even though I know i'm unofficially rejected from 3-4 programs. Its seriously the hardest thing ever. 

Yeah, I think this is definitely the hardest part! Seeing people get CUNY interviews when I thought I had a good shot, and had a great call with a POI is pretty rough. I want to believe what some people have said about inquiring about the status of applications on the results page, but I also feel like I can't fully trust anyone who's not posting an admit/rejection from programs we know are definitely releasing decisions.

13 minutes ago, chen48y said:

I also got the invite, but wasn't sure if it is an interview until I saw on the result page. 

What sort of message was it? A general invitation for an interview? Or more of a "well done for being a finalist!"?

Hi all!

I've just landed on this website today - ended up scrolling for most of the past hour and finally signed up. Have applied to three of the schools that came up in this thread - Chicago, Notre Dame, and UofT. No interview call from Chicago, which tbh seems like a really bad sign, and no word from UofT, where acceptances have started to arrive, and it's claimed that they've all been sent out?

Would second a previous post on here asking the person who's spoken over email with ND's Graduate Director to share a bit more detail. When it comes to "fit", I think among all my North America applications Notre Dame had the best alignment with my interests. 

Finally, a little context on my profile: I'm an international ("I") student with a UK Masters degree from Edinburgh (and a BSc that is not from the UK), in which I attained a Distinction (which is sort of like a 4.0). Also have an older GRE that's just alright (318). However I'm now starting to wonder whether a UK Masters puts you at a disadvantage, especially when it comes to top schools like Chicago and UofT.

If you feel like you have any feedback on the above, please do share. And like macska, I'm sending you all my best wishes for this week.  

Edited by salamander27

31 minutes ago, salamander27 said:

Hi all!

I've just landed on this website today - ended up scrolling for most of the past hour and finally signed up. Have applied to three of the schools that came up in this thread - Chicago, Notre Dame, and UofT. No interview call from Chicago, which tbh seems like a really bad sign, and no word from UofT, where acceptances have started to arrive, and it's claimed that they've all been sent out?

Would second a previous post on here asking the person who's spoken over email with ND's Graduate Director to share a bit more detail. When it comes to "fit", I think among all my North America applications Notre Dame had the best alignment with my interests. 

Finally, a little context on my profile: I'm an international ("I") student with a UK Masters degree from Edinburgh (and a BSc that is not from the UK), in which I attained a Distinction (which is sort of like a 4.0). Also have an older GRE that's just alright (318). However I'm now starting to wonder whether a UK Masters puts you at a disadvantage, especially when it comes to top schools like Chicago and UofT.

If you feel like you have any feedback on the above, please do share. And like macska, I'm sending you all my best wishes for this week.  

Nice to meet you here! Did you hear back from Notre Dame? I also applied to ND but haven't got any message from them

Edited by belief_in_jerks

I also haven't heard from ND yet. From the results page it looks like two people emailed the grad coordinator and she stated that they're meeting to discuss this week, and that if we don't hear this week then it's best to assume it's a lost cause. I'm the one who asked if that person had any more to elaborate, but I think they must not be checking the forum or at least didn't post. I'm looking forward to hearing from ND though, as they are one of my stronger fits

50 minutes ago, belief_in_jerks said:

Nice to meet you here! Did you hear back from Notre Dame? I also applied to ND but haven't got any message from them

And you! 

I haven't heard anything from them too, and given Chicago's held a bunch of interviews by now, I was really curious on where ND's process is at since they state on their website that interviews are held in January. Looks like they're late - let's keep our fingers crossed!

40 minutes ago, macska said:

I also haven't heard from ND yet. From the results page it looks like two people emailed the grad coordinator and she stated that they're meeting to discuss this week, and that if we don't hear this week then it's best to assume it's a lost cause. I'm the one who asked if that person had any more to elaborate, but I think they must not be checking the forum or at least didn't post. I'm looking forward to hearing from ND though, as they are one of my stronger fits

Thanks for clarifying that it was the Coordinator and not the Director! Haha. This was my very last application and somehow I think they may be the closest fit to my interests. What are yours? Mine (in short) span across culture, ethnography, and STS.

Looking forward to hearing from them too! And many congratulations on your UK acceptances, I hope that if you're applying for funding, the very bureaucratic processes they have for it go well for you hereon!

Edited by salamander27

Just now, salamander27 said:

Thanks for clarifying that it was the Coordinator and not the Director! Haha. This was my very last application and somehow I think they may be the closest fit to my interests. What are yours? Mine (in short) span across culture, ethnography, and STS.

Looking forward to hearing from them too! 

I know that last year ND held online interviews in late January and in person interviews in mid-Feb. I wonder, however, how this year will differ from previous years since everything will be online (presumably).

My research is about North/South international tourism and development using ethnography and interviewing. ND seems to have a really strong interdisciplinary tradition, which would be great for a project like mine that utilizes theories and traditions from both political science and sociology. Crossing my fingers that we all get good news from them!

13 minutes ago, FrigidSky701 said:

My daily schedule:

1. Check my email

2. Check GradCafe results

3. Check this thread

4. Go back to 1.

5. Do this for 10 times a minute.

I love this waiting game :'P

When I start logging in to the individual application portals, that's when you know that the anxiety is really getting bad.