2021 Chemistry PhD Admissions Results

a1120

38 minutes ago, toriloveschem said:

Has anyone had an "interview"/recruitment call with University of Chicago? 

PI emailed me to set up a call before Christmas. She told me that I was an "early admit" and there will be another round of admissions in early January.

19 minutes ago, toriloveschem said:

Did she tell you during the call? I haven't had my meeting yet but I'm not sure what to expect!

She emailed me and said she had good news. She never explicitly said I was admitted on the call (which was a little weird), but then she connected me to a grad student and said that I was an early admit in that email. It's not really an interview as much as it is them telling you that you got in and answering questions you have.

On 1/2/2021 at 1:58 PM, toriloveschem said:

Did she tell you during the call? I haven't had my meeting yet but I'm not sure what to expect!

Had my meeting last week. It was a very low-stress conversation with a POI and the first thing she told me was that I'd been accepted. The rest of the conversation was talking about my research experience and interests, quick info about U Chicago's program, and Q&A.

7 hours ago, frozonecom said:

Applying to CalTech as well. Do you know what the interview is like? I've seen in the gradschool website that they may conduct interview to verify English language proficiency, since they no longer require TOEFL and GRE test scores to be submitted. 

So this may be just for international applicants...

I feel like I saw that the people said the interviews were 15 minutes, so you might be right. (Or maybe I’m misremembering...) That makes me feel better. Did you also apply to Scripps? I am antsy about there because I also haven’t gotten an interview there. 

@spaghettiosI got an interview to Caltech and I'm not an international student. I also was not aware that they were interviewing (they didn't seem to in years past?). It is a 10 min interview focused on my research and interest in Caltech with approximately 4 questions and mine is scheduled for next week. I can report back after.

52 minutes ago, kittensneezesforever said:

@spaghettiosI got an interview to Caltech and I'm not an international student. I also was not aware that they were interviewing (they didn't seem to in years past?). It is a 10 min interview focused on my research and interest in Caltech with approximately 4 questions and mine is scheduled for next week. I can report back after.

Ah good to know! And congrats on getting the interview, that’s awesome. Good luck ? 

Has anyone heard from Harvard Chemical Biology yet? I saw on the results page some people had gotten requests for interviews. I was wondering if they are still sending them out or if they sent them all out... does anyone know any more?

3 hours ago, jchongg said:

Has anyone heard from Harvard Chemical Biology yet? I saw on the results page some people had gotten requests for interviews. I was wondering if they are still sending them out or if they sent them all out... does anyone know any more?

I think there were interviews for "Chemical Biology" but not "Chemistry and Chemical Biology"

On 1/2/2021 at 7:55 AM, chemsa said:

International applicant here. so far I got into northwestern and I'm satisfied with that haha. 

Congratulations!! Just a curious question (I'm an International student too but I am not applying for this cycle). If you get admitted by your program, do you automatically get full funding? Cuz i know international applicants aren't eligible for federal funding right? Thanks so much!!

2 hours ago, GrandeLatte said:

Congratulations!! Just a curious question (I'm an International student too but I am not applying for this cycle). If you get admitted by your program, do you automatically get full funding? Cuz i know international applicants aren't eligible for federal funding right? Thanks so much!!

For what I’ve noticed, they do fund you fully with the the stipends, unless stated otherwise - this is for the schools I’ve looked at

17 hours ago, jchongg said:

I applied to BBS and I haven’t heard anything, but I just met with a professor there and he said I should be hearing from them soon.

On 1/8/2021 at 8:39 PM, GrandeLatte said:

I am a returning international student ( previously got into a Ph.D. program but mastered out due to health) and have a bit of experience dealing with admission. Generally, all the Ph.D. students get guaranteed funding for 5 years. This would typically cover stipend, tuition, and health insurance. However, if your PI does not have the funds to support you, you have to work as a TA. Also, you would not be eligible for most of the awards.  

@frozonecomFinished up my caltech interview! It ran at like exactly 10-12 minutes and was very basic. ie Tell me about your research, why caltech etc. Two interviewers who were super friendly. I feel like it went well. We'll see what comes next!

On 1/5/2021 at 6:25 PM, chempb said:

Update from me, I got acceptance emails from both UCLA and UC Irvine in late December. Still waiting on Northwestern, UC Santa Barbara and Washington. 

Hi, I also applied to UCI but have not heard back yet.I submitted the application close to deadline.

On 12/20/2020 at 9:28 PM, trienemybest said:

anyone else see a new Student ID Number on the top right of their application portal at UC Irvine? I just checked and if I'm not mistaken, that wasn't there at first. Wondering if anyone else can confirm this?

Can you please tell me when did you submit your application? And when did you hear back? Did you contact the PI ?