2021 Chemistry PhD Admissions Results

a1120

Re: Caltech interviews, they sent a schedule with around 50 people on it, but I can't tell whether they are all chem bio applicants like me. I highly doubt they will admit 50 people but it was such a short interview that I have no idea how they are going to distinguish between people...

My interviewers said they hope to make decisions sometime next week, but they don't really know exactly when. Visit weekend is in early March, so at least sometime before then

8 hours ago, CoordinationChem said:

Thank you, but how do you know that? Did the grad admissions office clerks tell you this?

I thought my application was super strong, but I haven't even received an interview. Thought they were interviewing domestic students and/or applicants from different subfields first, but now, my anxiety has reached a whole new level...

I want to know this too! I am inorg and was talking with a prof @ caltech for a few weeks and never got an interview or an email.... welp

50 minutes ago, chemgirl99 said:

Has anyone heard back from UWashington, Northwestern, Cornell, or Berkeley? I am waiting on those 4 and really want to know when to expect them... I am going crazy over here

Well, I received a phone call from my top choice PI at Cornell in December, but I haven't heard back from Berkeley yet. Didn't apply to UWashington and NW. I'm in inorganic chemistry too, but AFAIK, some universities have different timelines for reviewing applications based on the sub-subfield within inorganic chemistry and on whether they're international or domestic applicants. 

1 hour ago, chemgirl99 said:

I want to know this too! I am inorg and was talking with a prof @ caltech for a few weeks and never got an interview or an email.... welp

Hey, did he seem enthusiastic about working with you? I'm curious because if he did, then maybe he decided to accept you without bothering you with an interview. And if so, then who knows, maybe it's similar for me... Wishful thinking on my part I guess, but I cannot help it...Oh God, this obsession is not healthy, is it? :)

9 minutes ago, CoordinationChem said:

Hey, did he seem enthusiastic about working with you? I'm curious because if he did, then maybe he decided to accept you without bothering you with an interview. And if so, then who knows, maybe it's similar for me... Wishful thinking on my part I guess, but I cannot help it...Oh God, this obsession is not healthy, is it? :)

He did! he said he was curious on my thesis data and wanted to ask me some questions over zoom sometime to see if it would work with a certain system of his. maybe! i hope thats the case for us 

Has anyone heard back from UWashington, Northwestern, Cornell, or Berkeley? I am waiting on those 4 and really want to know when to expect them... I am going crazy over here

I got a UW acceptance on Dec 19. Didn't apply to the others!

3 minutes ago, unorthodoxchemist22 said:

I heard back from Berkeley, but have not heard back from Northwestern. I also did not get an interview from Caltech.

Are they still sending out acceptances or did you already get your formal offer? Hoping I get accepted!

1 hour ago, bubblology said:

Anyone know if Columbia is done with acceptances?

No they are still in the process of sending out acceptances and reviewing applicants. Different disciplines (organic, inorganic, physical, etc) will send out acceptances at different times and also not all at once. This process can take as long as a month from when they send first acceptances, as it has in previous years. So be patient and wait it out if you are still waiting to hear back.

For the person (or anyone) who has gotten a Berkeley acceptance today: did you interview/did they call you before today/anything?

Hi there, I also got an acceptance! I didn't interview or hear back before today, I just received an email from the vice chair of admissions informing me that they are recommending me for admission, haven't received the formal acceptance letter.

3 minutes ago, byegal said:

Hi there, I also got an acceptance! I didn't interview or hear back before today, I just received an email from the vice chair of admissions informing me that they are recommending me for admission, haven't received the formal acceptance letter.

Do you mind me asking what time they sent the email at? Trying to gauge if I should stay up waiting a little longer ? congrats! 

Just now, chemgirl99 said:

Do you mind me asking what time they sent the email at? Trying to gauge if I should stay up waiting a little longer ? congrats! 

Haha no problem! I got it at 3:55 PM Pacific Time, I'm sure they'll be sending out more offers soon! Best of luck!! :) 

22 hours ago, chemgirl99 said:

I applied to both UWashington and Northwestern and have not heard back yeat. I applied for inroganic