2021 Chemistry PhD Admissions Results

a1120

1 minute ago, ChemBioApplicant said:

You wouldn't happen to know or have an idea of how many they might take? (Highly speculative ofc)

i have no idea and i can't find the info anyway! haha that is why i was asking. hopefully someone here knows

13 minutes ago, Zihao said:

My POI from Northwestern University wanted to have quick zoom call with me this week. Does anyone know what should I expect? Thanks.

I didn't apply to Northwestern, but I am currently attending for undergrad so I might be able to share any experience I may have had with your POI

9 minutes ago, ilovechem123 said:

Does anyone see this on their applyweb portal for UPenn? "A final, official transcript showing conferral of degree is required of all accepted students prior to matriculation."

I do not remember if this was on my portal before. 

Mine says this too! I think it doesn't indicate anything though, my overall status still says "ready for review"

19 minutes ago, ChemBioApplicant said:

You all interviewed earlier in the week last week yes? 

Yeah, last week. Some of the organic/inorganic concentrations had 2nd interviews scheduled, but it seems like for pchem there will only be one interview. 

2 hours ago, ilovechem123 said:

Does anyone see this on their applyweb portal for UPenn? "A final, official transcript showing conferral of degree is required of all accepted students prior to matriculation."

I do not remember if this was on my portal before. 

Mine says this as well. I received an open house invite today.

Edited by unorthodoxchemist22

Just now, Beau said:

Do you basically have to be published to be admitted to a top ~15 organic program?

I wasn't published when I applied last cycle (I'm in grad school now and perusing through this thing to see how the COVID cycle is going), and I got into UCLA for organic and my application at Caltech (for organic) was also heavily considered there. 

2 hours ago, matthewe123 said:

Has anyone else not heard back from UW-Madison yet? They're my last school really and I saw lot of rejections going out yesterday, but haven't heard myself yet. Anyone else in this boat?

Might be on the wait list then - Tuesday night an email was sent out that gave the impression anyone expected to sign up for the recruitment weekends already has

10 minutes ago, lilbroccoli13 said:

Might be on the wait list then - Tuesday night an email was sent out that gave the impression anyone expected to sign up for the recruitment weekends already has

Can you explain what you mean by the last part (about the recruitment weekend)?

In any case, thanks, I kind of figured I was on a waiting list of some kind. If anything this gives me the initiative to turn down offers from schools I know I’m not attending now myself lol

31 minutes ago, matthewe123 said:

Can you explain what you mean by the last part (about the recruitment weekend)?

In any case, thanks, I kind of figured I was on a waiting list of some kind. If anything this gives me the initiative to turn down offers from schools I know I’m not attending now myself lol

There’s one recruitment weekend in February and one in March, I guess just as like a thing to meet faculty and current students? But the email said there are currently 100 signed up for Feb and 60 for March and they were hoping for ~80 at each, so I’m guessing those weekends being right around full means that’s all the students they’re expecting to admit by then. Could be wrong though! 

Honestly yeah at this point I haven’t heard from Michigan which is my top choice so I’m just hoping that means I’m wait listed and someone turns their spot down ?

3 hours ago, matthewe123 said:

Has anyone else not heard back from UW-Madison yet? They're my last school really and I saw lot of rejections going out yesterday, but haven't heard myself yet. Anyone else in this boat?

for which department? i got an email in december l for an interview with their biophysics department

Edited by Atom345

59 minutes ago, lilbroccoli13 said:

There’s one recruitment weekend in February and one in March, I guess just as like a thing to meet faculty and current students? But the email said there are currently 100 signed up for Feb and 60 for March and they were hoping for ~80 at each, so I’m guessing those weekends being right around full means that’s all the students they’re expecting to admit by then. Could be wrong though! 

Honestly yeah at this point I haven’t heard from Michigan which is my top choice so I’m just hoping that means I’m wait listed and someone turns their spot down ?

Thanks! That doesn’t sound too promising but hopefully enough people turn down the program so I can get in ?. Congrats on your admissions tho-for my sake as much as yours I hope you get into Michigan!

47 minutes ago, Atom345 said:

for which department? i got an email in december l for an interview with their biophysics department

I applied to the Chem PhD with the materials route as my top choice. A lot of my professors are in both the organic and materials tracks though it seemed.

3 hours ago, Chemintuition said:

For everyone in organic waiting for a reply from Berkeley, just got a reply from professor I had been in contact with, said if we didnt hear anything yet an acceptance is a long shot as all first round offers have been sent. Said theyre accepting a really small class due to COVID

Damn, I'm in inorganic, but that still got me worried...

15 hours ago, Beau said:

Do you basically have to be published to be admitted to a top ~15 organic program?

Not at all. I got into top 10 organic programs, including Berkeley, without a publication.