2021 Chemistry PhD Admissions Results

a1120

Just now, ChemBioApplicant said:

Same here, chemical biology focus instead though, I have yet to see any second interview offers since our interview days at the end of last week, does anyone know when the organic folks did their first interviews and then when they heard back?

My interview was 1/4, she told me I would hear at the earliest, 1/15, but im anticipating hearing back sometime this week. I know some people were interviewed the week of 1/11, which makes me think only second round people were interviewd again for 5 mins?? I have no idea tho TBH, and it doesnt really matter because it is out of our control. Bottom line- dont worry! If you are admitted or not it is likely for the best :) 

4 minutes ago, Chemintuition said:

Update for those in the organic division, Purdue accepted me January 14th at like 1 am and have been declined from Emory and Vanderbilt. Still waiting to hear from 8 schools. Waiting on 3 different UC schools.

I was also rejected from Vanderbilt on Friday night, and I applied organic as well. The research fit was admittedly poor and I only applied to have another chance to stay with my boyfriend. It was shocking none the less, as I’ve been accepted into multiple top 20 programs with large fellowships. 

I contacted my PI about it and she said she heard Vanderbilt Orgo was really struggling with money, so please don’t beat yourself up about it too much. 

Sincerely hoping your remaining 8 are all acceptances :)

Just now, ashortchemist said:

I was also rejected from Vanderbilt on Friday night, and I applied organic as well. The research fit was admittedly poor and I only applied to have another chance to stay with my boyfriend. It was shocking none the less, as I’ve been accepted into multiple top 20 programs with large fellowships. 

I contacted my PI about it and she said she heard Vanderbilt Orgo was really struggling with money, so please don’t beat yourself up about it too much. 

Sincerely hoping your remaining 8 are all acceptances :)

Thank you!! Best wishes for you moving forward. Was definitely surprised to get denied to Emory and Vanderbilt when I got accepted to Purdue. Oh well, all ya need is one right? 

1 hour ago, ChemBioApplicant said:

Same here, chemical biology focus instead though, I have yet to see any second interview offers since our interview days at the end of last week, does anyone know when the organic folks did their first interviews and then when they heard back?

On another note does anyone know when scripps is doing invites to their virtual visitation weekend?

The suspense is killing me.

Also chem bio! Last week Scripps reached out to me to schedule a short, informal interview. The interviews have been taking place late last week and early this week. They should reach out about the virtual visit weekend in a few days! 

Edited by spaghettios

1 hour ago, ChemBioApplicant said:

On another note does anyone know when scripps is doing invites to their virtual visitation weekend?

The suspense is killing me.

Hi! Also chem bio applicant here, Scripps sent me their virtual interview weekend invitation in late December, but it sounds like they're sending out more this week/next week according to @spaghettios. Hope this helps!

17 minutes ago, spaghettios said:

Also chem bio! Last week Scripps reached out to me to schedule a short, informal interview. The interviews have been taking place late last week and early this week. They should reach out about the virtual visit weekend in a few days! 

Firstly congratulations on the interview!! and wow, do you know if you'll know whether you're accepted after your informal interviews? I never did any informal interviews, just got the formal interview invite back in December to their interview weekends in feb and march and I have no idea if the weekend is more like a recruitment thing or a serious interview type thing

Just now, elle_chem said:

Firstly congratulations on the interview!! and wow, do you know if you'll know whether you're accepted after your informal interviews? I never did any informal interviews, just got the formal interview invite back in December to their interview weekends in feb and march and I have no idea if the weekend is more like a recruitment thing or a serious interview type thing

I think I will just know whether I will get the formal interview invite! I'm not exactly sure what the actual visit weekend is either. But it's probably a good thing that you got your invite so early and didn't have to do the preliminary interview! I would guess I was probably in a pool of second-tier choices or something ?

Just now, spaghettios said:

I think I will just know whether I will get the formal interview invite! I'm not exactly sure what the actual visit weekend is either. But it's probably a good thing that you got your invite so early and didn't have to do the preliminary interview! I would guess I was probably in a pool of second-tier choices or something ?

thats interesting, never knew scripps had multiple rounds, but best of luck to you and hope to see you at one of the interview weekends!! 

Just now, elle_chem said:

thats interesting, never knew scripps had multiple rounds, but best of luck to you and hope to see you at one of the interview weekends!! 

Yeah I was not expecting it! I hope to see you tooooo ? Congrats on getting the real interview invite so early!! 

6 hours ago, kathinated said:

Hey, has anyone head anything about Harvard Chem? They haven't let anyone know anything right? Is this normal?

I just heard back from a prof today! I can't believe it! I applied for physical chemistry. I am still shocked and mildly convinced I will get an email tomorrow telling me they made a mistake, lol. 

Being able to look here and see that we're all in the same boat waiting for responses is really nice. I hope that you all are hearing back from your schools and that you get into a school that you're excited about!

These next few weeks are going to be stressful but we've got this! Good luck everyone!

6 minutes ago, Shaina.loveless said:

Has anyone heard back from UPenn, University of Pittsburgh, University of New Hampshire, Georgetown University, or University of Oregon?

Waiting for UPenn & Pitt as well. And Princeton. I am clinging to the delusional hope that I have not heard back just because of my international status... fingers crossed everyone!