2021 Chemistry PhD Admissions Results

a1120

@yeetamus, 

I thought we would hear back by friday too, but if I remeber correctly she said friday was the earliest possible day. I didnt get any email about a 4 min follow up interview, but im in organic not inorg so it may be different by department. Not sure tbh. I think we cant assume the worst from silence- they are prob still in the decision stages. Whatever happens, happens!! (Having a hard time taking my own advice LOL)

6 minutes ago, certain_sweet_ochem said:

@yeetamus, 

I thought we would hear back by friday too, but if I remeber correctly she said friday was the earliest possible day. I didnt get any email about a 4 min follow up interview, but im in organic not inorg so it may be different by department. Not sure tbh. I think we cant assume the worst from silence- they are prob still in the decision stages. Whatever happens, happens!! (Having a hard time taking my own advice LOL)

Thanks! Yeah I couldn’t remember if she said it was definitively Friday or just that it was a possibility. I’m not too worried but I am puzzled by the fact that inorg vs organic are doing their admission processes differently? Seems odd since it’s such a small dept. 

36 minutes ago, yeetamus said:

Has anyone in the organic division who got an interview heard back from Caltech yet? I thought we were supposed to by Friday. I saw someone from inorganic got a second interview.

I am from organic, no interview call...

Caltech interviewed 27 inorganic applicants in the first round (10 min interviews).  They invited 18 back for a 4 minute Zoom call Thursday.  It was not specified as a second interview, just a follow-up from the original interview.

Hope this helps!  Nervous af for Thursday.  Anyone else invited back?

33 minutes ago, chempb said:

Would anyone who heard back from northwestern care to share their experience? And specifically what subdivision you applied to? ? 

I heard back from Northwestern on Jan 4th. I applied for physical materials so physical chemistry first choice and then materials chemistry. I received an unofficial phone call and an email from my first choice PI. I was really excited. The official letter came roughly a week later. 

Is there anyone who is an international student applied to Northwestern for the inorganic or materials chemistry? Have you heard anything from the committee? I am super anxious these days... Appreciate your response. 

2 hours ago, chempb said:

Would anyone who heard back from northwestern care to share their experience? And specifically what subdivision you applied to? ? 

I am an international student and in the theoretical chem subfield.

Got a phone call informing me the acceptance on Dec 30 and received the official letter on Jan 6.

Hope this helps!

14 hours ago, bulldogs said:

Caltech interviewed 27 inorganic applicants in the first round (10 min interviews).  They invited 18 back for a 4 minute Zoom call Thursday.  It was not specified as a second interview, just a follow-up from the original interview.

Hope this helps!  Nervous af for Thursday.  Anyone else invited back?

How do you know these stats? did they pass out an interview schedule?

13 hours ago, clarawang said:

Is there anyone who is an international student applied to Northwestern for the inorganic or materials chemistry? Have you heard anything from the committee? I am super anxious these days... Appreciate your response. 

I'm an American student but also applied to Nortwestern for inorganic/materials. So far I haven't heard of any inorg applicants getting acceptances yet

I saw on a post on r/gradadmissions that UW Madison planned to make 80% of decisions by Jan 1st and saw they sent out one rejection. Has anyone heard anything from them in the last week or so?

3 hours ago, chempb said:

I'm an American student but also applied to Nortwestern for inorganic/materials. So far I haven't heard of any inorg applicants getting acceptances yet

im domestic and got accepted on the 6th from nw for inorganic/bioinorganic. havent heard from anywhere else though i'm happy with nw.

1 hour ago, Beau said:

I saw on a post on r/gradadmissions that UW Madison planned to make 80% of decisions by Jan 1st and saw they sent out one rejection. Has anyone heard anything from them in the last week or so?

I still haven’t heard back

5 hours ago, chempb said:

Thank goodness! I'm also an American student applying for inorganic and haven't heard back from Northwestern... you just calmed my nerves so much!

27 minutes ago, bulldogs said:

@certain_sweet_ochem I counted the interview slots of people signed up both times!

we didnt have any kind of doc like that that was passed around to sign up on. I bet youre right tho. ~30 interviews sounds about accurate. Bummed I didnt get a second interview..... Ill be curious to know how those interview go next week for you two. Best of luck! :)