2021 Chemistry PhD Admissions Results

a1120

11 hours ago, Hb94 said:

Has anyone heard back from Utah or Michigan- Ann Arbor? If so can you please share your experience and other relevent details.

I heard back from Michigan from an email from a POI and then a follow up 2 days later with a formal acceptance and virtual recruitment information. I applied November 31 and heard back this Monday. I hope this helps! Good luck you’ll be great!!

Edited by cottagecorechemist

21 minutes ago, Hb94 said:

Can anyone who got an accept from Utah share their their profile? and When they submitted their application?

I got an acceptance into the chemistry program. Submitted my application on Dec 1st and I have listed my profile on my acceptance post. I don't think they have sent out all the acceptances yet. Just trust the process what's meant to be will! 

11 hours ago, Hb94 said:

Has anyone heard back from Utah or Michigan- Ann Arbor? If so can you please share your experience and other relevent details.

Also interested in anyone who’s heard back from Michigan. It’s my top choice and I met with a PI before applying, but now that I keep seeing people post acceptances I’m getting antsy ?

2 hours ago, Hb94 said:

Can anyone who got an accept from Utah share their their profile? and When they submitted their application?

I submitted on Dec 14th and heard back through email this week.  GPA above 3.5, 4 years of undergrad research, 2 years in pharma. 

Got an acceptance this week (my first response)! I'm pretty pumped! I kinda convinced myself I wasn't going to get in anywhere so I wouldn't be too disappointed if I didn't get in. Did anyone else do this?

17 hours ago, bubblology said:

I submitted on Dec 14th and heard back through email this week.  GPA above 3.5, 4 years of undergrad research, 2 years in pharma. 

Thanks for sharing. Congratulaions on your acceptance!

33 minutes ago, frozonecom said:

For CalTech:

How do you determine what subfield you belong? My prospective professors have many subfields under their name in their faculty profile.

I thought we put it in the application somewhere, but I couldn't find it in the html. Maybe the professors of each subdivision look through and choose the people they want to interview.

Re-Caltech, there are Pchem interviews taking this week and even one set of 4 taking place next Monday. According to posts in the results section, roughly 20 organic people have been interviewed and same goes for inorganic. So far, people in the inorganic, pchem, organic, and chem bio concentrations have all been contacted and interviewed. I don't know if they have a separate category for theoretical/computation chem. 

8 hours ago, loves_cdse_nanocrystals said:

Re-Caltech, there are Pchem interviews taking this week and even one set of 4 taking place next Monday. According to posts in the results section, roughly 20 organic people have been interviewed and same goes for inorganic. So far, people in the inorganic, pchem, organic, and chem bio concentrations have all been contacted and interviewed. I don't know if they have a separate category for theoretical/computation chem. 

Thank you, but how do you know that? Did the grad admissions office clerks tell you this?

I thought my application was super strong, but I haven't even received an interview. Thought they were interviewing domestic students and/or applicants from different subfields first, but now, my anxiety has reached a whole new level...

8 hours ago, loves_cdse_nanocrystals said:

Do you think they might send some acceptances without interviews?

I've been lurking in this thread since its creation and I've been refraining from posting for the sake of anonymity (I'm a bit paranoid that smb might figure out my identity), but I'm freaking out so hard now that I don't even care about anonymity anymore...

3 hours ago, CoordinationChem said:

Thank you, but how do you know that? Did the grad admissions office clerks tell you this?

I thought my application was super strong, but I haven't even received an interview. Thought they were interviewing domestic students and/or applicants from different subfields first, but now, my anxiety has reached a whole new level...

Hi

I did not receive interview invitation as well, and I also believe that I am a strong applicant. However, Caltech is so small that it could only admit few people.

What I want to say is that once we submitted our package, we could control nothing evermore. The only thing we could do is to wait. Maybe you are right; Caltech would accept people w/o interviews. Maybe you are wrong; we've already been eliminated. 

Not until we receive the decision could we tell which is true.

27 minutes ago, MHH said:

Hi

I did not receive interview invitation as well, and I also believe that I am a strong applicant. However, Caltech is so small that it could only admit few people.

What I want to say is that once we submitted our package, we could control nothing evermore. The only thing we could do is to wait. Maybe you are right; Caltech would accept people w/o interviews. Maybe you are wrong; we've already been eliminated. 

Not until we receive the decision could we tell which is true.

Yeah, I know. Just needed to vent. Plus, I was really curious about the source of the info...

3 hours ago, CoordinationChem said:

Do you think they might send some acceptances without interviews?

I've been lurking in this thread since its creation and I've been refraining from posting for the sake of anonymity (I'm a bit paranoid that smb might figure out my identity), but I'm freaking out so hard now that I don't even care about anonymity anymore...

could someone call and ask haha

18 minutes ago, CoordinationChem said:

Yeah, I know. Just needed to vent. Plus, I was really curious about the source of the info...

Yeah, I get wanting to vent. This whole processing is really frustrating combined with Caltech not having done interviews like this before. 

So, how I got this information is that I was a pchem interviewee and saw how many other pchem students there were. I also have a friend (who works in my undergrad research lab) who got an inorganic interview and told me how many other people there were. Then, I went to the results page where people were asking about Caltech interviews and people posted about organic and chem biology. Since, the last two matched pretty exactly with my own personal experience I reasoned the info was good and thought I'd post a summary of everything I had read on the results page because a lot of people were asking questions. 

19 hours ago, a.rose said:

Got an acceptance this week (my first response)! I'm pretty pumped! I kinda convinced myself I wasn't going to get in anywhere so I wouldn't be too disappointed if I didn't get in. Did anyone else do this?

Lol yes until getting my first acceptance I was so convinced I wasn't going to get in anywhere. My friends keep asking what my top choice is and I'm like "lol if I get in somewhere that will be my top choice." Unfortunately now with 2 acceptances I think I'm way more nervous about the rest than I was before hearing anything lol

There's delays this year across every department and almost every college. I've only really heard from a third of my applications, my friend has heard from 1/8 (in math), and some other chem majors I know have heard from 4/13 and 1/6. Even on this website, you can see people asking in the results page if it's delayed for everyone else too. The answer is yes. Many committees haven't met since the break. I am sure that the people that use this website put enough effort and thought into their applications that we will all have great options within the next few weeks. Good luck to everyone!

Edited by a1120

1 hour ago, loves_cdse_nanocrystals said:

Yeah, I get wanting to vent. This whole processing is really frustrating combined with Caltech not having done interviews like this before. 

So, how I got this information is that I was a pchem interviewee and saw how many other pchem students there were. I also have a friend (who works in my undergrad research lab) who got an inorganic interview and told me how many other people there were. Then, I went to the results page where people were asking about Caltech interviews and people posted about organic and chem biology. Since, the last two matched pretty exactly with my own personal experience I reasoned the info was good and thought I'd post a summary of everything I had read on the results page because a lot of people were asking questions. 

Thank you!

On 1/13/2021 at 8:59 PM, Hb94 said:

I got an interview, no formal acceptance. No GRE, 3.9 GPA from small private university, student athlete, 2 years research experience with no pubs, 3 strong LORs. I submitted my app in late Nov and got an interview invite Dec 3rd. 

56 minutes ago, lilbroccoli13 said:

Lol yes until getting my first acceptance I was so convinced I wasn't going to get in anywhere. My friends keep asking what my top choice is and I'm like "lol if I get in somewhere that will be my top choice." Unfortunately now with 2 acceptances I think I'm way more nervous about the rest than I was before hearing anything lol

Similar situation here. First I was really confident I'd be accepted everywhere, and than I nearly had a breakdown due to fear of not getting in anywhere because the competition between international applicants is pretty intense (probably, even more so due to the pandemic), and I didn't even have the same research opportunities as applicants from more developed countries. I calmed down a bit after getting accepted to Cornell and one of my safety schools in early December, but now, I'm even more nervous than before that because I still haven't heard back from Harvard, Berkeley, and Caltech :)

Sometimes, it's funny how human mind works...

30 minutes ago, Fechef said:

I got an interview, no formal acceptance. No GRE, 3.9 GPA from small private university, student athlete, 2 years research experience with no pubs, 3 strong LORs. I submitted my app in late Nov and got an interview invite Dec 3rd. 

Hi,

Thanks for your response. Did you apply to pure chemistry or biological chemistry. I was not aware that Utah conducts interview rounds.