2021 Chemistry PhD Admissions Results

a1120

4 minutes ago, chemistry2021 said:

I hope so! This is really late for them so I am getting worried but at the same time it seems like not many people have heard so thats a good sign

Yeah, I was also starting to worry about it being late, but the results section only shows one tentative Stanford admit and 2 MIT admits so far (tho I am sus about one of the reported acceptances). I still think we have a chance. MIT does often release admissions later in January. 

4 hours ago, avkeer said:

Anyone heard from Rice?

Hi! I emailed a PI I contacted before this morning. Unfortunately, all offers were sent out this year for organic. PI told me that organic division only has few positions for 2021 Fall due to COVID-19......

Just now, chem2021 said:

Has anyone heard from duke for ochem? 

A friend of mine attended Duke virtual open house last week. It seems that there are 70 people in the zoom meeting. This number really makes me feel stressed. I'm not sure if they could send more offers since duke already had 70 now.

2 minutes ago, xuadj said:

A friend of mine attended Duke virtual open house last week. It seems that there are 70 people in the zoom meeting. This number really makes me feel stressed. I'm not sure if they could send more offers since duke already had 70 now.

Dang was that for the whole department? 

4 minutes ago, chem2021 said:

Dang was that for the whole department? 

Yes. I'm really confused since I did not see posts about duke and their website said that most offers were sent out beginning from mid-January. I just totally couldn't expect to have 70 now.

9 minutes ago, timothychem said:

I talked to a prof a while back and he told me that official offers aren't being released until feb this year bc of delays due to the pandemic

Thanks a lot! I wonder whether unofficial offers were all sent currently?

7 minutes ago, xuadj said:

Yeah the convo I had with this prof was kind of vague if I'm gonna be honest. I was invited to the open house, but could not attend. I had a zoom meeting with this prof to discuss research and stuff and he explained that my "informal" open house invite was not technically indicative of an acceptance. From my knowledge, I do not believe any offers have been made yet. I could be wrong though because idk what was said during the open house.

Edited by timothychem

4 minutes ago, timothychem said:

Yeah the convo I had with this prof was kind of vague if I'm gonna be honest. I was invited to the open house, but could not attend. I had a zoom meeting with this prof to discuss research and stuff and he explained that my "informal" open house invite was not technically indicative of an acceptance. From my knowledge, I do not believe any offers have been made yet. I could be wrong though because idk what was said during the open house.

Got it! Thank u so much for your info!

10 minutes ago, xuadj said:

This is what I was wondering also. I feel like there’s no way they all could be but that just might be false hope lol. I wonder if the open house was for people who hadn’t been accepted yet just like a meet and greet thing because I think some schools do that but idk 

1 minute ago, chem2021 said:

This is what I was wondering also. I feel like there’s no way they all could be but that just might be false hope lol. I wonder if the open house was for people who hadn’t been accepted yet just like a meet and greet thing because I think some schools do that but idk 

I really hope so, but both of my friends who attended the open house were also accepted by UCB (which means Duke must want them as well). I know that one of them got a letter via email before, not sure about another. As mentioned by a post above, I also think the invitation is just a sign of acceptance. However, Duke does have a second-round open house! Maybe there will be more offers coming soon! I plan to ask tomorrow. I would keep you updated if I get any info tomorrow.

1 minute ago, xuadj said:

I really hope so, but both of my friends who attended the open house were also accepted by UCB (which means Duke must want them as well). I know that one of them got a letter via email before, not sure about another. As mentioned by a post above, I also think the invitation is just a sign of acceptance. However, Duke does have a second-round open house! Maybe there will be more offers coming soon! I plan to ask tomorrow. I would keep you updated if I get any info tomorrow.

Thank you!! :) 

I am an international student but living in the US and have not heard back from any chemistry programs I have applied to.

However, I heard from some of the PIs I contacted, but none have given me any word on admission. They only told me that they like my profile and blah blah.

Also, I have noticed that nobody here shared a detailed profile of themself this year, so it is kind of hard to guess the situation like in the past cycles.

I would be okay to share my stats as I thought it would help each other out rather than be seen as showing off.

However, I am somewhat hesitant that I do not know how people would take it based on how this tread has been evolving. I am a direct and blunt person, but I do not want to offend other people instead of helping each other.

18 minutes ago, lipward said:

I am an international student but living in the US and have not heard back from any chemistry programs I have applied to.

However, I heard from some of the PIs I contacted, but none have given me any word on admission. They only told me that they like my profile and blah blah.

Also, I have noticed that nobody here shared a detailed profile of themself this year, so it is kind of hard to guess the situation like in the past cycles.

I would be okay to share my stats as I thought it would help each other out rather than be seen as showing off.

However, I am somewhat hesitant that I do not know how people would take it based on how this tread has been evolving. I am a direct and blunt person, but I do not want to offend other people instead of helping each other.

I have to wonder how much the process can actually be quantified by "stats" this year. I've always thought the personal statement and letters of recommendation were most important; GPAs can only really be judged in the context of your own institution and many schools did not require the GRE this year - I didn't submit any scores at all. Number of publications and presentations can also mean different things depending on the research you're involved in and the quality of those pubs/posters. I don't see how comparing "stats" could really give any useful information, but more power to you.

37 minutes ago, lipward said:

Just to help someone out there, as an international student I got accepted into UW-Madison, Uni Pittsburgh, OSU. Still expecting decisions from a couple of very top schools. I had my master's degree in an HBCU college and have at least 3 years research experiences. But in all, God is involved. I hope you will hear good news soon. Good luck!

1 hour ago, lipward said:

If you could tell us which programs, that might help! 

I think a lot of universities have finished with admissions, but a lot haven't even started. For example, in this thread you will have seen that some programs are releasing results until February and that big schools like MIT and Stanford haven't released any admissions results yet either. 

Hi everyone, have applied for theoretical track. Got my master in theory under supervision of a very famous PI in one of UC and applied again for this year. Heard from UCSD in late Dec for an interview and received the letter one week later. Still, waiting for MIT, Caltech, and UCB. I wish i can get from UCB. Anybody got admission in theoretical track from top schools?

it's not fair if schools have planned to hire a small size cohort this year due to Covid. Already, have been impacted for my applications!

1 hour ago, fermidirac said:

Hi everyone, have applied for theoretical track. Got my master in theory under supervision of a very famous PI in one of UC and applied again for this year. Heard from UCSD in late Dec for an interview and received the letter one week later. Still, waiting for MIT, Caltech, and UCB. I wish i can get from UCB. Anybody got admission in theoretical track from top schools?

it's not fair if schools have planned to hire a small size cohort this year due to Covid. Already, have been impacted for my applications!

Hi

I am also in theoretical track and have not heard back from MIT, Berkeley, and Caltech (no interview).

Have been accepted by UT Austin, UCSD, and Northwestern.

Hope more theoretical people can share their information!