Fall 2021 Statistics/Biostatistics Applicant Thread

19 minutes ago, confusedbear said:

Are you allowed to renege and take an offer that was extended after 4/15?

If you think UCLA may give you an offer, you can ask the school you would otherwise commit to if you can have a few extra days extension in light of the situation.

20 hours ago, confusedbear said:

I emailed UCLA coordinator and she said that if they make any more offers it will be after 4/15. I'm very confused by this - what happens if you accepted another offer before that date? Are you allowed to renege and take an offer that was extended after 4/15?

When I applied to UCLA (several years ago) they told me the same thing. Basically it's a waitlist, and they're going to wait and see if there are spots left after 4/15.

If you really want to go there, then I agree the best thing to do is to email the program of the offer you would otherwise accept and ask for like a 1 week extension. Given the current climate with COVID, it's possible they will let you. Otherwise, it's not really worth the risk IMO.

23 hours ago, MrKrabs3 said:

Does anyone know what's going on with UCI stats PhD?  Got an e-mail that UCSD will have their decisions out "very soon."

Hi, are you applying for Stats PhD or Biostats PhD? I am the latter and I am still waiting on UCSD.

4 hours ago, StatsG0d said:

When I applied to UCLA (several years ago) they told me the same thing. Basically it's a waitlist, and they're going to wait and see if there are spots left after 4/15.

If you really want to go there, then I agree the best thing to do is to email the program of the offer you would otherwise accept and ask for like a 1 week extension. Given the current climate with COVID, it's possible they will let you. Otherwise, it's not really worth the risk IMO.

How do you ask for an extension like that? Do you have to tell them why? I imagine they wouldn't be too happy if you tell them it's because you're waiting for another school, but maybe this happens more often than I think?

18 hours ago, confusedbear said:

How do you ask for an extension like that? Do you have to tell them why? I imagine they wouldn't be too happy if you tell them it's because you're waiting for another school, but maybe this happens more often than I think?

I mean I didn’t do it because I was worried about what they might think but I think with COVID they might be more flexible.

I guess I wouldn’t provide disingenuous reasons of why you want the extension but if it’s for family reasons or something you could just say that due to your personal situation you strongly desire to live in area X. If it’s just because “UCLA sounds cooler”  then I probably would just accept one of your other offers. 

Edited by StatsG0d

On 4/7/2021 at 7:47 PM, confusedbear said:

Last year I've asked for an extension on April 15th due to getting an offer very late in the cycle.

IMO it doesn't hurt to try and ask at least; the most likely worst-case scenario is that your request for extension gets denied (I would be quite shocked if anything worse than this happens) but there is a chance that they would grant you an extension.

Anyone still waiting for the statistics phd program decisions of UC Davis and Rice? They are saying both admission and waitlisting decisions would be released no later than April 15, but I'm seriously considering just accepting an offer by OSU...

3 hours ago, shyburrito said:

U should check the portal, I got a rejection earlier today ?

Sorry to hear that. Where on the app are decisions? I am only able to see my submitted app, letters of rec, etc. No decision letter yet.

Edited by bayesboi

37 minutes ago, bayesboi said:

Sorry to hear that. Where on the app are decisions? I am only able to see my submitted app, letters of rec, etc. No decision letter yet.

If you haven't seen the link, they're probably still considering you. It should look like this when the decision is out:

Best of luck to you bro!

Screen Shot 2021-04-13 at 7.42.18 PM.png

Good luck to everyone making last-minute decision before the April 15th deadline!  I know it is stressful to make such a life-altering decision and it is easy to be overwhelmed.  Just remember that it is impossible to predict the future (even when you have a PhD in statistics!) and all you can do is inform yourself as best you can and follow your gut!

I saw some people got rejections from UW today. I got the “your application is still under review” a few weeks ago but haven’t heard back, reject or accept. Does anyone know what this might mean? I have other programs to commit to but UW is my first choice! Help!

5 hours ago, PLessPoint05 said:

I saw some people got rejections from UW today. I got the “your application is still under review” a few weeks ago but haven’t heard back, reject or accept. Does anyone know what this might mean? I have other programs to commit to but UW is my first choice! Help!

I'd email the grad coordinator and tell them they're your first choice but your other deadline is tomorrow and asking if they have an update.

9 hours ago, bayessays said:

I'd email the grad coordinator and tell them they're your first choice but your other deadline is tomorrow and asking if they have an update.

I already responded what you said to the grad coordinator when I got the original email. ??‍♀️ I guess I must wait. Thanks for the advice! 

Is there anyone else also waiting for TAMU Stats PhD? I've emailed the department three times regarding result over the past few months, but the response is always generic. (A little frustrating.)