Fall 2021 Statistics/Biostatistics Applicant Thread

By the by, I want to ask you all one thing. Did anyone applying to University of Iowa hear anything from them ? 

One of my friend, who applied there received the following mail :- "Hello X. Thank you for sending a strong application. The committee is very impressed with your academic performance and will  make decisions on offers soon. If you wish you can take a look at our faculty expertise to know more about our department :- (link for faculty research interests).  In case you already have offers from other programs that you think you fit better than ours, kindly let us know if we still have a chance to recruit you. Look forward to hear from you." 

What kind of indication the mail gives? Should I assume that my friend is really a top applicant in their department and she is definitely going to receive a formal offer soon ?

33 minutes ago, StatB said:

What kind of indication the mail gives? Should I assume that my friend is really a top applicant in their department and she is definitely going to receive a formal offer soon ?

That is how I would interpret it, but nothing is definite.  A lot of smaller departments do some vetting to see if applicants are really interested, but they would only do that for someone they're interested in.  I had a weird experience once where the offer didn't pan out after this, but I would suspect that your friend could go to Iowa if they want.

13 minutes ago, bayessays said:

That is how I would interpret it, but nothing is definite.  A lot of smaller departments do some vetting to see if applicants are really interested, but they would only do that for someone they're interested in.  I had a weird experience once where the offer didn't pan out after this, but I would suspect that your friend could go to Iowa if they want.

Okay, I see. Yes, this would really be weird if nothing happens after expecting something from them. Thank you very much for your insight. I will tell her to reply positively to the mail (as she has not received any confirmed offer yet) and we have to see what happens. Was your weird experience related with UIowa or some other university?

Actually I am having a similar but much rarer experience with the U of Iowa. I sent an email asking about when the decisions may be available(just asking that, no other question). Then replied me: "Many thanks for submitting a strong application and for contacting me. We are close to making decisions and you are ranking quite high on our list. I wonder if I can have a 15-min zoom meeting with you to see if the department and you are a good match? You are highly welcome to ask questions about our program too." We're having a zoom meeting very soon and I feel a little bit mixed bc this is not a typical invitation I've seen(what would have happened if I didn't contact? No interview and just waiting?), but I'd like to believe that this is at least a positive thing.

Edited by statenth

14 hours ago, StatB said:

By the by, I want to ask you all one thing. Did anyone applying to University of Iowa hear anything from them ? 

One of my friend, who applied there received the following mail :- "Hello X. Thank you for sending a strong application. The committee is very impressed with your academic performance and will  make decisions on offers soon. If you wish you can take a look at our faculty expertise to know more about our department :- (link for faculty research interests).  In case you already have offers from other programs that you think you fit better than ours, kindly let us know if we still have a chance to recruit you. Look forward to hear from you." 

I got the same email from U of Iowa. Not sure how to reply though...

13 hours ago, statenth said:

Actually I am having a similar but much rarer experience with the U of Iowa. I sent an email asking about when the decisions may be available(just asking that, no other question). Then replied me: "Many thanks for submitting a strong application and for contacting me. We are close to making decisions and you are ranking quite high on our list. I wonder if I can have a 15-min zoom meeting with you to see if the department and you are a good match? You are highly welcome to ask questions about our program too." We're having a zoom meeting very soon and I feel a little bit mixed bc this is not a typical invitation I've seen(what would have happened if I didn't contact? No interview and just waiting?), but I'd like to believe that this is at least a positive thing.

Oh. This seemed really odd to me. Anyway, let us know how it goes after the interview.

11 hours ago, shyburrito said:

I got the same email from U of Iowa. Not sure how to reply though...

My friend ultimately replied to them very positively and asked about funding. She was told that she will be given full funding and they will send her the offer letter sometime in next week.

2 hours ago, StatB said:

Oh. This seemed really odd to me. Anyway, let us know how it goes after the interview.

My friend ultimately replied to them very positively and asked about funding. She was told that she will be given full funding and they will send her the offer letter sometime in next week.

I had an (informal) interview this morning. I was told that I can expect good news, but I forgot to ask about the funding so maybe have to wait for the final decision letter to arrive. Wishing all the best for this.

3 hours ago, statenth said:

I had an (informal) interview this morning. I was told that I can expect good news, but I forgot to ask about the funding so maybe have to wait for the final decision letter to arrive. Wishing all the best for this.

Okay. I hope that you get admitted soon. Regarding funding I guess you will get full funding if you are accepted. 

7 hours ago, StatB said:

They told me the same thing. I hope this can be considered an unofficial offer. 

38 minutes ago, StatB said:

In your case I guess they were going to email you anw, but you just happened to reach them first. Best wishes for you!

1 hour ago, statenth said:

Thanks, @StatB, and @shyburrito! By the way, anyone still waiting without any news from UNC Biostat phd? I guess they are delaying decisions these days due to funding issues.

They have waitlisted one of my batchmates and 2 are waiting till now. Yes, this time I have seen more Stat PhD acceptances than biostat PhD's (at least this has happened with my batchmates ). So, Stat departments seem to have less problems with funding this year. But again exception exists, say Iowa State. ?

Edited by StatB

37 minutes ago, StatB said:

They have waitlisted one of my batchmates and 2 are waiting till now. Yes, this time I have seen more Stat PhD acceptances than biostat PhD's (at least this has happened with my batchmates ). So, Stat departments seem to have less problems with funding this year. But again exception exists, say Iowa State. ?

Though I do not definitely trust rankings, ISU's program ranks very high in USNR(around 20?). It's surprising to hear that... I'm afraid if the situation in the US would recover much slower than I thought.

Edited by statenth

On 2/25/2021 at 3:03 PM, BioStatKid said:

I emailed the program coodinator last week. He said the result was expected to come out around 24-25th, so I assume that we will hear back from them later today. 

Thanks for that info! However, I still got nothing from Rochester?. How about you?

Did anyone get an acceptance offer from Duke Biostat PhD program? I am on the waitlist. If you don't intend to accept your offer, could you please kindly let admissions know when possible? My family is in NC and I really want to get off the waitlist. Thank you! 

Got an email for an interview over the weekend asking to schedule times. I haven't heard back after replying with my schedule. After how long should I follow up?

Edited by kingduck

31 minutes ago, zmt924 said:

Anyone hear back from Columbia? 
they told me to expect decision by March 1st and I didn’t receive anything as of today... feeling bad right now

Did you have an interview with them? I haven't heard back from their Stat program since my interview in mid Feb. 

4 minutes ago, chair said:

Did you have an interview with them? I haven't heard back from their Stat program since my interview in mid Feb. 

no, I applied for Master of Biostatistics program. I don’t think it needs interviews.

On 2/25/2021 at 8:38 PM, callousbear said:

anyone heard from oregon state? 

I emailed today because I've got a decision deadline on Friday and they said they'll be issuing offers in the next two days.