Fall 2021 Statistics/Biostatistics Applicant Thread

And also does anyone know how is the PhD program in Statistics at Florida State University. One of my friend is likely to get offer from that. The queries regarding TAMU and Ohio is also for that friend only. I want to help the friend actually. 

So, if anyone knows about these I would be grateful if they can write about them.

15 hours ago, StatB said:

Does anyone know if TAMU and Ohio State put students in waiting list ?

I don't think TAMU has a waitlist. I have a couple decision deadlines coming up next week, so I sent an email to the department yesterday regarding my application status. They sent me an email this morning stating "We will be sending out offers of admission on a rolling basis between now and May".

Have anyone heard from Arizona State University about funding? They said they would make some offers in Jan, but according to the survey page there was no information about funding. Should I email them and ask or would that be too pushy? 

9 hours ago, shyburrito said:

Have anyone heard from Arizona State University about funding? They said they would make some offers in Jan, but according to the survey page there was no information about funding. Should I email them and ask or would that be too pushy? 

Did they already admit you and you're just waiting about funding? If so, I think that would be totally reasonable. I think it's too early, except in extraordinary cases, for people who have not heard back at all to be emailing admissions.  But just tell them you're excited about the offer and looking to see if there are updated on funding. 

10 minutes ago, Lilly187 said:

For Harvard, if we haven't heard anything do we just assume rejection? 

There's been so few posts it's quite hard to say. 3 interviews late january, one rejection 4th february and 3 acceptances last week really isn't much to extrapolate on given how many people will apply (and presumably a lot of the applicants use gradcafe going by other universities' results).

5 hours ago, bayessays said:

Did they already admit you and you're just waiting about funding? If so, I think that would be totally reasonable. I think it's too early, except in extraordinary cases, for people who have not heard back at all to be emailing admissions.  But just tell them you're excited about the offer and looking to see if there are updated on funding. 

Yes, I got the admit letter on December 20 and I am waiting for funding. Also, I heard that many schools will not be accepting international students due to the covid-19 situation (correct me if I'm wrong), so ASU might be my only shot. Thank you for your advice I really appreciate it.

Edited by shyburrito
missing info

On 1/12/2021 at 4:26 PM, BL4CKxP3NGU1N said:

I received my first acceptance today from Colorado State (Stat PhD) with a teaching assistantship offer! They specify in the email that I should notify them by February 22nd if I want to accept the offer. This seems very early...do they not follow the April 15th deadline that most other universities seem to have?

Did CSU or Missouri tell anything about a virtual open house? I applied to CSU but still waiting to hear back. I also got acceptance from Missouri. I'm rather skeptical about schools who doesn't offer an open house. 

10 minutes ago, StatCramer said:

Did CSU or Missouri tell anything about a virtual open house? I applied to CSU but still waiting to hear back. I also got acceptance from Missouri. I'm rather skeptical about schools who doesn't offer an open house. 

CSU had a virtual visit day on Feb 15th and they invited me to it in my admission offer. Missouri's offer didn't say anything about a visit day, but I'm sure you could ask to set up some sort of virtual meeting with a professor and/or current grad students. I did that with Baylor.

Edited by BL4CKxP3NGU1N

@BL4CKxP3NGU1N Do you have any idea if Colorado State has started giving offers to International Students? None of my batchmates (well, only one applied there) have received anything till now. I suppose the visit day could have invited the international students too who received offers. But again, I am not sure if the department normally takes international students or not.

12 minutes ago, StatB said:

@BL4CKxP3NGU1N Do you have any idea if Colorado State has started giving offers to International Students? None of my batchmates (well, only one applied there) have received anything till now. I suppose the visit day could have invited the international students too who received offers. But again, I am not sure if the department normally takes international students or not.

The results page has an acceptance from an international student, so I would assume they've sent out at least some offers to international students. The first round of offers has an exploding deadline on February 26th (or some of the offers did), so my guess is that they'll send out more offers at the end of February/early March

5 hours ago, stat-dude-37 said:

Has anyone got rejected from UCLA Stats PhD?  I got a notice that everyone who hasn't heard back is waitlisted, and that rejections and acceptances were sent, but I haven't seen any posted rejections and am a bit skeptical....

Given the fact that they sent the email out as a response to an applicants inquiry without even anonymizing the applicants contact info, I don't think we should expect too much from the department in terms of organization/communication/responsibility lol.

Edited by trynagetby

4 hours ago, trynagetby said:

Given the fact that they sent the email out as a response to an applicants inquiry without even anonymizing the applicants contact info, I don't think we should expect too much from the department in terms of organization/communication/responsibility lol.

I think last year there were posts here about how disorganized UCLA's program was too.

9 hours ago, trynagetby said:

Lol that was me, I think me and her both reply all'd without realizing there was the whole listserv on the email. But mine was blocked from going out. I didn't realize what happened until I saw posts of the same reply on here.

Edited by statguy