Fall 2021 Statistics/Biostatistics Applicant Thread

10 hours ago, statenth said:

I got the final offer from the University of Iowa with TA. EXTREMELY HAPPYYYY! :) :) 

Congratulations! I got the offer too. Btw, do we still have to wait for the official admission letter since the email only said "The Graduate Committee of the Department of Statistics and Actuarial Science has recommended that you be admitted"? Let me know if you got the same email.

10 minutes ago, shyburrito said:

Congratulations! I got the offer too. Btw, do we still have to wait for the official admission letter since the email only said "The Graduate Committee of the Department of Statistics and Actuarial Science has recommended that you be admitted"? Let me know if you got the same email.

Glad to hear that you also got an offer. I think they will send an official letter with the amount of stipend confirmed (it says no less than $20k!). They wrote: "... Final confirmation and the official admission letter will come from the Office of Admissions after it verifies that you have met all Graduate College requirements. ...", "... The final salary amount for academic year 2021-22 will be released upon the completion of pending contract negotiations. ..."

Edited by statenth

7 hours ago, shyburrito said:

This is a formality.  The graduate school admits everyone the departments recommend (unless there is some weird thing like they find out you didn't graduate college or something like that). Congrats!

8 hours ago, shyburrito said:

Congratulations to both of You. My friend has also finally got the offer. Just yesterday she was sent an letter from director of graduate studies mentioning about her employment and stipend amount and many other related things. 

1 hour ago, bob loblaw said:

For those of you applying to UC Davis (Stats), if you haven't heard yet, it means you're unofficially waitlisted.  Just FYI. 

talking about the4 PhD or MS program? Any idea how many people get accepted normally for their MS program?

1 hour ago, user5080 said:

talking about the4 PhD or MS program? Any idea how many people get accepted normally for their MS program?

Oh sorry.  Should have clarified. This is for the PhD program but I assume it's the same for MS. They don't use an official waitlist function.

Their website is super outdated (& frankly, horrible to navigate) so I have no idea what the typical size of the MS cohort is.  All I know is that for the PhD program they got record amount of qualified candidates this year and their target class size is only 6.  Goes to show ya, so much of this process is reliant on variables that are completely out of our control.  ??

15 hours ago, statenth said:

I just had an interview with a professor at MSU and I was told to stay tuned since I have a high chance. :) Expecting to receive a fast update upon the committee's decision.

When did they email you for the interview? I also applied to MSU and I haven't heard from them since then ? Should I assume it's a rejection...

On 3/5/2021 at 1:51 AM, statenth said:

I just had an interview with a professor at MSU and I was told to stay tuned since I have a high chance. :) Expecting to receive a fast update upon the committee's decision.

And I just got an offer from MSU!

Anyone else just get an email from UW saying that their app is still under consideration? It doesn't seem like they've sent out any rejections so this feels like it may have just been sent to everyone, especially since it didn't mention being waitlisted or anything.

3 minutes ago, Nothalfgood said:

Nope! I hope you've at least heard some good news from somewhere else by now because it's been a long wait.

I have not, sadly. Pretty resigned to working for a year and reapplying next cycle but it'd be nice if columbia at least hurried up.