Fall 2021 Statistics/Biostatistics Applicant Thread

55 minutes ago, frequentist said:

Does anyone know if Duke send out acceptances in batches? I see some posts on survey site but I have not heard back from them. I assume it is a rejection at this point.

Not sure how it works overall, but to give a bit of info for this year -- I got an offer on Friday and invited to a virtual visit on March 19. So just speculatively, your odds probably get worse the closer to that date it gets.

Sorry you're stuck in limbo, but congrats on NCSU! (I applied there too but haven't heard anything yet.)

1 hour ago, manb999 said:

idk if this question was asked/answered earlier, but I saw that Harvard sent out interviews for the first time for stats phd. if I didn't receive an interview, should I be expecting a rejection from them? does anyone know anything about this?

Would like to know too!

Any idea if University of Minnesota sends out decisions in batches for the MS Biostats program? Also, does UNC Chapel Hill send out decisions late for their MS program? Haven't seen any results posted so far.

Heard from a Yale biostats professor that they are not accepting any international student because of lack of funding in the department. The university supports international students and hence at the moment cannot support any international student. Sad to hear this though!

2 hours ago, AC1 said:

Heard from a Yale biostats professor that they are not accepting any international student because of lack of funding in the department. The university supports international students and hence at the moment cannot support any international student. Sad to hear this though!

Wow..... As an international student who applied to Yale Biostat PhD program this is making me really mad.. Why didn't they let the applicants know of this earlier? If they had not planned to recruit any international students, they should have made it very clear from the get go. I feel like the least they can do at this point is refund my money for the application.

Edited by coconuts2

12 hours ago, Vibsong said:

Any idea if University of Minnesota sends out decisions in batches for the MS Biostats program? Also, does UNC Chapel Hill send out decisions late for their MS program? Haven't seen any results posted so far.

I think so. I was accepted by Minnesota last week, and prior to that week, saw several acceptances reported on the results page. I still haven't heard back from UNC. I don't think they make decisions on MS students until they've gotten a bulk of their PhD applicants handled, but that's just my hunch.

17 hours ago, possumvibes said:

I think so. I was accepted by Minnesota last week, and prior to that week, saw several acceptances reported on the results page. I still haven't heard back from UNC. I don't think they make decisions on MS students until they've gotten a bulk of their PhD applicants handled, but that's just my hunch.

Thanks a lot for the information! Did you send your application to UMN before December 1st?

On 2/8/2021 at 8:56 AM, skibayes said:

Anyone know if admissions decisions from Wisconsin-Madison are fully out? Saw 5 acceptance posts on this site, but I haven't heard anything from the program, wondering if I should assume rejection..

I still haven't heard from Wisconsin-Madison at all, and it looks like they've sent accepts/rejects/waitlist... is anyone else in this boat? I'm wondering if they're doing batches this year, or if I was just forgotten, hah!

7 hours ago, Spark said:

I still haven't heard from Wisconsin-Madison at all, and it looks like they've sent accepts/rejects/waitlist... is anyone else in this boat? I'm wondering if they're doing batches this year, or if I was just forgotten, hah!

Yeah I'm in the same boat. Haha I also was starting to wonder whether they somehow lost my app, but if there's two of us that seems less likely!

39 minutes ago, skibayes said:

Yeah I'm in the same boat. Haha I also was starting to wonder whether they somehow lost my app, but if there's two of us that seems less likely!

It's happened to me too. Maybe it could mean they're gonna offer us masters admits... unless they came out already.