Fall 2021 Statistics/Biostatistics Applicant Thread

1 hour ago, bestregards said:

I had an interview with a faculty in mid-January and also joined their virtual visit day. Grad coordinator said that they had two more adcom meetings to come and the final offers would be available no later than the first week of February(if I remember correctly).

Based on post history, I assume this is for duke biostats and not duke stats

On 1/27/2021 at 11:04 PM, shyburrito said:

I also applied to UCSB's Stats program and have not heard from them :( Did they send you an email?

Yea I got an email from the program and also an official response through their portal. Don't lose hope. 

Also for those applying to UCLA Biostats, I got my rejection like last week. Just FYI

Edited by bob loblaw

Me when UWashington acceptances came out and my inbox was empty:

It is the evening of the day

I press refresh on gradcafe

Rows of green I can see

But not for me

I sit and watch

As acceptances go by

My gpa can’t buy anything

I just wish I was better at proving things

All I hear is the sound

Of emails going around

I sit and watch 

As acceptances go by

It is the evening of the day

I press refresh on gradcafe

Seeing profiles like I used to do

they think are new

I sit and watch

As tears go by

13 minutes ago, patient512 said:

I emailed the UW stat department today and they said that they haven't made any decisions for the MS program yet. So there is still some hope for those who are looking forward to those decisions. Good luck everyone!

Wait there is more hope!

According to the person I contacted: "The PhD Admission Committee is still reviewing applications, but hope to have decisions by mid-February"

2 hours ago, patient512 said:

Wait there is more hope!

According to the person I contacted: "The PhD Admission Committee is still reviewing applications, but hope to have decisions by mid-February"

I second this. I also emailed UW stat department today, and was told that the PhD applications are still under review. 

On 2/1/2021 at 3:32 PM, stat-dude-37 said:

Has anybody heard anything from Duke Stats Phd? They have consistently sent out acceptances Jan 28-31 in the last four years. Curious if anyone has had any communication/interview/inside knowledge about when results may show up? 

I got an email this morning from someone at Duke Graduate Admissions asking for some clarification about something on my transcript. Whether this is good for me, I don't know, but there's a clue to their timeline for you.

@Lilly187 I imagine they give a few offers to their top candidates first, and see how many of those accept before they give more offers. Given how many people are applying to grad school this year and how funding might be lower, they are probably being careful to not end up with too many students. 
My best guess is it's not a great sign to not hear anything yet as it means I wasn't one of their very top candidates, but it's not terrible either - I haven't been rejected yet, so holding out hope. 
A graduate admissions committee member did an AMA on reddit a few weeks ago and he said for PhD applications, no news is good news until the end of February.

3 minutes ago, csheehan10 said:

@Lilly187 I imagine they give a few offers to their top candidates first, and see how many of those accept before they give more offers. Given how many people are applying to grad school this year and how funding might be lower, they are probably being careful to not end up with too many students. 
My best guess is it's not a great sign to not hear anything yet as it means I wasn't one of their very top candidates, but it's not terrible either - I haven't been rejected yet, so holding out hope. 
A graduate admissions committee member did an AMA on reddit a few weeks ago and he said for PhD applications, no news is good news until the end of February.

Thank you so much for this insight, it was extremely helpful! I was feeling so unsure and was about to email the grad committee for clarification, but I imagine emails of that nature can overwhelm the system. I will force myself to sit tight until the end of February lol.

14 minutes ago, Lilly187 said:

Thank you so much for this insight, it was extremely helpful! I was feeling so unsure and was about to email the grad committee for clarification, but I imagine emails of that nature can overwhelm the system. I will force myself to sit tight until the end of February lol.

No prob haha we're all a bit anxious. If you do end up emailing let me know what they say!

4 hours ago, Lilly187 said:

People are updating admissions for berkeley stats! ? So if we don't hear is this bad news, or does berkeley do batches?

Berkeley last year did a batch in February and a waitlist batch in April.

Rejections usually come a few weeks later in the cycle.

Correction: Berkeley apparently doesn't officially do waitlists; usually to admit more people they have to get approval.

Edited by icantdoalgebra

@bayesboi in previous years they have sent out a couple batches where it seemed like the committee would meet at the end of the week and send out a few more decisions. Chicago explicitly says on their website they review applications in groups by potential research interests, which may have something to do with it, but that is just speculation.